Thread: Who do you polarize towards yourself?

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp

Who do you polarize towards yourself?

Most of us don't cause much of a reaction at all in others, but with some it's an instant love or hate relationship. In your experience, who are these people? Do they have any particular traits? Are those traits the same or opposite depending on whether they love or hate you?

Type
    INTP
    The Enneagram is my Bible.
    I find it even more useful than MBTI.

Several more points can be made about the basic type itself.

*People do not change from one basic personality type to another.

*The descriptions of the personality types are universal and apply equally to males and females, since no type is inherently masculine or feminine.

*Not everything in the description of your basic type will apply to you all the time because you fluctuate constantly among the healthy, average, and unhealthy traits that make up your personality type.

*The Enneagram uses numbers to designate each of the types because numbers are value neutral— they imply the whole range of attitudes and behaviors of each type without specifying anything either positive or negative. Unlike the labels used in psychiatry, numbers provide an unbiased, shorthand way of indicating a lot about a person without being pejorative.

*The numerical ranking of the types is not significant. A larger number is no better than a smaller number; it is not better to be a Nine than a Two because nine is a bigger number.

*No type is inherently better or worse than any other. While all the personality types have unique assets and liabilities, some types are often considered to be more desirable than others in any given culture or group. Furthermore, for one reason or another, you may not be happy being a particular type. You may feel that your type is “handicapped” in some way. As you learn more about all the types, you will see that just as each has unique capacities, each has different limitations. If some types are more esteemed in Western society than others, it is because of the qualities that society rewards, not because of any superior value of those types. The ideal is to become your best self, not to imitate the assets of another type.

Type One is principled, purposeful, self-controlled, and perfectionistic.

Type Two is generous, demonstrative, people-pleasing, and possessive.

Type Three is adaptable, excelling, driven, and image-conscious.

Type Four is expressive, dramatic, self-absorbed, and temperamental.

Type Five is perceptive, innovative, secretive, and isolated.

Type Six is engaging, responsible, anxious, and suspicious.

Type Seven is spontaneous, versatile, acquisitive, and scattered.

Type Eight is self-confident, decisive, willful, and confrontational.

Type Nine is receptive, reassuring, complacent, and resigned.
    I hate 2w1's, and generally 2s & 3s are extroverted, annoying and feely.

Ptah's is a one, and he's such a great one!
    Most people here are 5s, who predominantly make up the bulk of INTPs.
    There are probably quite a few 4s, maybe some 6s, at least one 7, and probably a few 9s.

Distinct lack of 2s & 3s.

The 9 types are divided into different and varying triads. 5, 6 & 7 are Thinking types, 8, 9, 1 are Instinctual (gut) types, and 2, 3 & 4 are Feeling types.

I naturally get on well with other Instinctual types, not so much with everybody else.
    All truth passes through three stages:

First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    It's a good question but it's difficult to answer. I'm not generally a polarizing person. Everyone loves me.
    Then why did he put the Devil in me?

Type
    INTP
    Of course, ESTJs tend to dislike me. Bragging, boastful, showy people do not tend to like me. Overly passionate people don't care for me. At least at first. I think a lot of people misjudge me or find respect for me for being consistent or resolute.

I have noticed there have been times people have gotten upset when they think I'm ignoring them. I do care about a lot of things but don't often show it. That has, I don't know if alienated is the right word, but sensors can be very dismissive of me.

I try not to embarrass people (anymore), but but if someone has say, gotten a li'l too big for their britches, I may say a word or two to cut them down to size. They're generally the aforementioned braggarts. Often times, insecure people will think I don't respect them. I dunno why, I guess because I don't ask anything of them. I am respectful, just not a good asskiss.

Type
    INFP
    It seems that I attract people with strong and dysfunctional personalities who want to use me as a mirror/academic aid/therapist.

This is extremely annoying and has always been the case.

When I started university in this country, I thought that since I was older and more self-confident, I could break this habit. There were several interesting and nice people in my group, but I somehow got stuck with a woman who fit into the same mold. Out of obligation, a few months ago, I texted her and asked her how she was doing. She immediately replied with something like "hey blorg do you still have notes for the philosophy exam? I'm really worried etc etc"

I didn't even reply. So done with that.

My boyfriend is the exception, and he has great friends too.

There are also people who tend to have an instant hate reaction to me - generally, intellectuals. Not to be confused necessarily with "smart" or "nerdy" or "pretentious" (though they sometimes possess those qualities too). I mean the kind of people who take things like philosophy, literature, and art seriously. I don't really understand why, because I often like the same things that they do. But ever since I was a kid, that kind of adult disliked me, and as an adult, academic-minded (fellow) university students disliked me too. It's a different case for actual professors grading my work - I think I can only "switch on" my academic voice in the contexts of written assignments, for some reason. But the fact that I don't appear like an intellectual doesn't fully explain their dislike for me.

If anyone has a theory about why this is, I'd like to know. I've always been curious about why such people normally dislike me but can't figure it out.

Type
    istj
    There is a guy in my academy class who is quicker and funnier than I am, and although I enjoy his shenanigans, it deeply pisses me off. He makes jokes that I would make before I am able to conjure them up, and I can't even build off of his previous jokes because people will still be laughing at his original one or someone will chime in and cut me off in my window of opportunity and kill the vibe.

We were looking at an aeronautical chart in class, and there were special airspaces named "Airburst" 1, 2, and 3. The instructor asked the class why the airspace might've been named that, and the quick funny guy without hesitation said "because the town nearby is named Butts."

Gah, that was good. (The real answer had to do with nuclear threats in the area).

Am I jealous? Yes.

I've resorted to making fun of the instructors behind their backs to get a cheap laugh. Pathetic.

(We're not at academy currently due to coronavirus)
    flat tire ferarri