Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to deal with people with poor comprehension skills?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Something tells me there's a more accurate example than the one you provided.

Work on tact and nonviolent communication. If they're actually incapable of comprehending, in contrast to you incapable of making yourself understood, then it doesn't matter what they think.
    They're still annoying though.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    If one person views your word choices as a little confusing, chances are many do. I also thought heftily was an odd word choice. Odd word choices, even grammatically correct ones, have the effect of distracting the reader/listener from your point. The difference between a clever foray from the usual usage of a word and a distracting one is subjective, but now you know that from two distinct points of view, your word choices often distract.
    Fair enough. There should be some degree of adjustment if it impedes clarity.
    I am bilingual so will use words distractedly. At best, they energize my text.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by noip View Post
    As for the last part, that's an unnecessary ad-hom.
    On the contrary, it was very heftily necessary.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Blorg View Post
    On the contrary, it was very heftily necessary.
    It's never necessary to insult someone.

But, LOL. Nice. I see your point.

eta: When I think about it, it honestly doesn't really bother me though...And I don't think it distracts from your point at all, nor did I get the wrong message...
    Last edited by noip; 04-03-2020 at 03:38 PM.

Type
    isfp
    Quote Originally Posted by noip View Post
    This doesn't make any sense nor is it what happened.

I am a type 8. We don't mean to come off combative but our language is just very direct.
    Re type 8

Is the purpose of knowing your enneagram type simply to justify your behavior?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by roki View Post
    Re type 8

Is the purpose of knowing your enneagram type simply to justify your behavior?
    To some extent, I am who I am. Take it or leave it.
    I can't spend my life walking on eggshells.
    Last edited by noip; 04-03-2020 at 04:49 PM.

i dunno, looks convincing
    Type
    xxxx
    I've found that if you posture to blend in better it's seen as fakery, unless you're a wizard in the tactfulness dept.

I've found that behaving honest is usually construed as condescending.

I've found it optimal to just severely measure my engagement with these types, but if you're obligated to ...

I've found that being aware of my mood and how affect registers on my face is consequential.

I've found wearing a pleasant expression can inadvertently say I'm validating them ... and das ist gut!

I've found that assuming naivete helps avoid angry or fearful reactivity (very common) and preserves your sanity.

I've found that if enlightening them is of interest, use normal words (as Sistamatic has stated).

I've found that reducing linguistic stimuli altogether assists the cognitive deficient's processing style.

I've found this to be true as such minds struggle processing quickly, linking large swaths of data, and properly intuiting when someone holds up a non-literal statement or hypothetical one for mere cogitation.

I've found that crisis is inevitable with such ilk's feely laden irrational leaps to false conclusions.

I've found that I personally straddle the relatively bright and mentally knackered categories (depression,anxiety, adhd) - so trust on the effectiveness of this approach.

I've found that most importantly, you can effectively acknowledge another's humanity by maintaining healthy consistent boundaries (extremely very important).

I have spoken lol.