Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast

Thread: Quarantine cooking

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Limes View Post
    I tenderised some lamb leg steaks this evening with sea salt, then I slathered them in "Mediterranean" spice, peri peri, granulated garlic and nice sized chunks of dried garlic. I like how dried 'ajo' comes in about 5 dicing sizes in Spain, but I like to pretty much burn up some medium sized chunks onto a steak at high heat.
    I saw this on live posts and knew it was a Limey post without seeing the name. The garlic gave it away.

One thing I eat just so I can have garlic is bread with a thin slice of cheese on it and tomato slices on the cheese, with chunks of garlic over the tomato, black pepper, salt and oregano, and I put that under the grill. Could eat it every day. You could do it without the cheese and sprinkle olive oil over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTP
    Red chile puree plus white cheddar cheese powder plus maple syrup in the right amounts = amazing red chile sauce. My discovery for the day. I ate the sample straight, made some more for pinto beans. You have to play around with it the taste you like.
    At this point, my drop of ocean water is mostly salt

Type
    INTP
    Another small discovery. Cubed pumpkin flesh tastes better than fried breakfast potatoes. Grapeseed oil, salt, pepper, whatever spices (garlic, oregano etc). Put em in a wok, get the edges a little crispy and the flesh cooked through. Takes maybe 10 minutes on high heat. Much better health wise than hash browns, tastes better IMO. Going to try with ones that have been frozen tomorrow along with eggs.

Postscript: Frozen did not work out well at all - has to be fresh.
    Last edited by Starjots; 10-14-2020 at 03:21 AM.
    At this point, my drop of ocean water is mostly salt

Type
    INTP
    What's a good way to make rice noodles?

Type
    INTP
    Buy them from a store..?

I recently made a recipe with crispy chickpeas. You either start with canned or cooked and then sautée them in oil and seasoning until they're brown and crispy on the outside. They're great on top of soup - same idea as crackers but more substantial, so they're more filling and they don't get soggy or disintegrate.

Type
    INTP
    I started a no frills chili at 10 this morning and the house smells amazing. Feels like fall.

Type
    INTJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    What's a good way to make rice noodles?
    I would add a soupy Vietnamese broth and one of their pork sandwiches on the side!

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    Buy them from a store..?

I recently made a recipe with crispy chickpeas. You either start with canned or cooked and then sautée them in oil and seasoning until they're brown and crispy on the outside. They're great on top of soup - same idea as crackers but more substantial, so they're more filling and they don't get soggy or disintegrate.
    I hadn't thought about adding legumes to it. Yeah, I'm mostly interested in knowing what type of sauce people make for it, or any ingredients that aren't the usual. I feel like everything I cook tastes the same, I just use the same building blocks for everything.

The ones I made had onion, garlic, green ají, red bell pepper, mushrooms, broccoli, soy sauce, sugar and Burn After Eating sauce. It tastes like everything else.

I would add a soupy Vietnamese broth and one of their pork sandwiches on the side!
    I could look up the broth but I already see it has anise.

Type
    INTJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    I could look up the broth but I already see it has anise.
    That's a shame. I had a great Pho in Hawaii once at this hole in the wall cantina with drunk US service people and a giant cockroach running up the wall. It had to be good.
    Pretty sure that I dislike aniseed, I definitely dislike liquorice.

In that case, I would roast a pork joint, that has soaked in garlic, golden syrup (corn syrup as an alternative), ground ginger, red wine, red dye, and salt and then baste it again into some of the sauce set aside, cut it into thin slices and use the powdered flavouring sachet from a noodle pack of your choice, plus some extra Mediterranean herbs (paprika, peri peri, maybe some rosemary etc) to make a flavoured soup out of to go with the rice noodles.

Type
    INTP
    I'm beginning to realize that when something doesn't taste good enough, you just have to add sugar to it.

In that case, I would roast a pork joint, that has soaked in garlic, golden syrup (corn syrup as an alternative), ground ginger, red wine, red dye, and salt and then baste it again into some of the sauce set aside, cut it into thin slices and use the powdered flavouring sachet from a noodle pack of your choice, plus some extra Mediterranean herbs (paprika, peri peri, maybe some rosemary etc) to make a flavoured soup out of to go with the rice noodles.
    I could do that sometime. Even without a couple of those ingredients I'm not familiar with. xD