Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Quarantine cooking

Type
    INTP
    I soak my beans for 3 days because of gut sensitivity issues. It's a pain in the ass and I wouldn't do that if I didn't have to. They take about 20 mins to cook in the pressure cooker.

Type
    eNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by NedLudd View Post
    Do people eat beans for their flavor? I usually use beans because they’re filling, have a decent texture (unlike tofu imo) and can be blended very well with a lot of other flavor profiles. Same deal with rice, I guess, although rice has less nutritional value.
    Yes and no. As with rice, there are some varieties that stand on their own. Others, it's all about what else you have going on with them. I think they both benefit from being cooked in chicken broth, or a nice fatty chicken stock.
    "Just because it's 2020 doesn't mean everyone has perfect vision."--catchphrase of a fictional comedian in some movie

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Yes and no. As with rice, there are some varieties that stand on their own. Others, it's all about what else you have going on with them. I think they both benefit from being cooked in chicken broth, or a nice fatty chicken stock.
    Hmm, makes me think, there’s food that works well on its own and needs little if anything in addition, and then there’s food that is bland or downright bad on its own but works very well with other foods. And foods that do both, such as bread.

Today I braised a pork sirloin roast I've been marinating (salt, pepper, vinegar, turmeric, garlic, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano) on top of some onions.
    I used the rest of this for lunch just now. Fried up a sort of scallion pancake using sourdough discard (super easy, just dump the dough into a pan with oil, add some scallions and salt to the top, and then cook on medium about 3 minutes per side). Then I melted some mozzarella on top of the chopped pork, and put some leftover roasted garlic tomato sauce I made yesterday on top of that. Sliced open the cooked pancake/biscuit thing and put in the fillings. Would have worked great with some caramelized onions and sautéed mushrooms as well, but was delicious anyway.

Type
    INTP
    Do people eat beans for their flavor? I usually use beans because they’re filling, have a decent texture (unlike tofu imo) and can be blended very well with a lot of other flavor profiles. Same deal with rice, I guess, although rice has less nutritional value.
    I like pinto beans and brown or black lentils for their flavor. Both are pretty good with just salt, but better with onions and garlic. Black beans are pretty meh by themselves. They're good as an ingredient in something but not as the main attraction. Red lentils and split peas can be the main attraction but they need a lot of spices and flavors added to make them palatable.

I made white bean and broccoli soup this weekend, along with a cauliflower millet mash to bring for lunch. Both are recipes from my vegan instantpot cookbook.

Type
    INTP
    Been having smoked salmon, avocado and cream cheese sandwiches. They're really good.
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTP
    We got our first harvest of greens from the garden (kale, spinach, a few types of lettuce, radishes). I say 'we', my wife did 90% of the work. Anyway, she planted the seeds after we went into isolation. Good news is, it's just a nice to have because we can still buy food.

Cancerous autism in a can Eli Porter's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    Simple Croatian pasta by a lovely man I once met.

1. Sautee garlic in oil
    2. Add feta cheese and let it melt
    3. Add pasta
    4. Add olive oil
    5. Salt to taste
    6. Invite a friend/lover

Spoiler: tastiest if prepared and eaten with good music
    Last edited by Eli Porter; 05-25-2020 at 09:26 AM. Reason: shup
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    Sig-worthy....

Type
    isfp
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Been having smoked salmon, avocado and cream cheese sandwiches. They're really good.
    What kind of bread?
    god's gift

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by roki View Post
    What kind of bread?
    Some brown multigrain thing. Toasted.
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    eNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Some brown multigrain thing. Toasted.
    I've heard of this. In my family we call it "bread".
    "Just because it's 2020 doesn't mean everyone has perfect vision."--catchphrase of a fictional comedian in some movie