Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 LastLast

Thread: Quarantine cooking

Type
    xNxx
    Quote Originally Posted by NedLudd View Post
    Nice!! Did you use a regular muffin pan for that? I've always wanted to make those.
    yep!
    CARPE BM

Type
    isfp
    garbanzo beans with onion, garlic, pinch of turmeric, sugar, sauerkraut, horseradish, apple cider vinegar and a side of anchovies

one airborne tablet and two bananas for dessert

Spoiler: >

Surprisingly not as awful as it should have been likely due to the sugar

Type
    INTP
    I got a pasta maker but it comes out kinda eggy? Gotta figure that out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    I got a pasta maker but it comes out kinda eggy? Gotta figure that out.
    I don't know what "kinda eggy" means, but the gluten has to be worked to make it a bit springy, so you have to fold it in half and run it through the machine several times before dropping down the settings to the thickness you want.

I just stick flour in the food processor with two eggs for one and a tiny bit of olive oil and then if it's not the right consistency, add a smidgeon of water until it just clumps together into a ball in the bowl. Take it out and put it on a floured surface and take handfuls off and run them through the rollers. They shouldn't be sticky at this stage, but keep folding, flouring and rolling on the largest setting until it looks like a proper sheet of pasta, then drop through the settings. When that's right, it might pay to cut it to the length you can easily handle and put it through the cutters and then hang it somewhere (a pasta rack is easiest).

I tried the resting nonsense before rolling but I didn't think it made a discernible difference and mixing and rolling in one go you can make it in the same time it takes for the water to boil.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    I don't know what "kinda eggy" means, but the gluten has to be worked to make it a bit springy, so you have to fold it in half and run it through the machine several times before dropping down the settings to the thickness you want.

I just stick flour in the food processor with two eggs for one and a tiny bit of olive oil and then if it's not the right consistency, add a smidgeon of water until it just clumps together into a ball in the bowl. Take it out and put it on a floured surface and take handfuls off and run them through the rollers. They shouldn't be sticky at this stage, but keep folding, flouring and rolling on the largest setting until it looks like a proper sheet of pasta, then drop through the settings. When that's right, it might pay to cut it to the length you can easily handle and put it through the cutters and then hang it somewhere (a pasta rack is easiest).

I tried the resting nonsense before rolling but I didn't think it made a discernible difference and mixing and rolling in one go you can make it in the same time it takes for the water to boil.
    I kneaded it for ten minutes but didn't pass it through the machine like that. I'm starting to think I might have seen my family doing that though. Maybe I'll try it since the kneading makes my wrists hurt.

Thing is I didn't have any trouble with the actual consistency or elasticity of the dough. I'm referring to the taste. I used 3 eggs for 2 cups of flour (and they were free range eggs). Maybe the recipe was eggy.

Type
    eNTP
    I kneaded it for ten minutes but didn't pass it through the machine like that. I'm starting to think I might have seen my family doing that though. Maybe I'll try it since the kneading makes my wrists hurt.

Thing is I didn't have any trouble with the actual consistency or elasticity of the dough. I'm referring to the taste. I used 3 eggs for 2 cups of flour (and they were free range eggs). Maybe the recipe was eggy.
    All the food processor does is speed up the initial mixing. I find a fork works fine. You can also use a mixer with a bread hook.

If you don't like the taste using eggs, use water. The only reason to use eggs is if you like the taste.
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.

Type
    INTP
    All the food processor does is speed up the initial mixing. I find a fork works fine. You can also use a mixer with a bread hook.

If you don't like the taste using eggs, use water. The only reason to use eggs is if you like the taste.
    Good idea! I do like some egg so I'll just try two next time, and then one if that's still too much.

The kneading kills me though because one of my wrists was operated on for a ganglion cyst. The other should be fine but it isn't really, I probably put too much weight on it.

Type
    eNTP
    The kneading kills me though because one of my wrists was operated on for a ganglion cyst. The other should be fine but it isn't really, I probably put too much weight on it.
    Ain't injuries a pain in the ass? Always cropping up and getting in the goddam way.

If kneading hurts, don't do it. Once you have the dough ball, immediately move to using the pasta maker on it's widest setting. As @jyng observes, you want to run it through the rollers a few times before cutting it anyway, so whats a few extra passes?
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.

Type
    isfp
    Made my favorite cold meal- hummus, feta, tomatoes, lettuce, kalamata olives wrap

Spoiler: >

Also, kneading takes some serious endurance

Type
    eNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by roki View Post
    Made my favorite cold meal- hummus, feta, tomatoes, lettuce, kalamata olives wrap
    I used to have something like that every day as one of my meals. It's a solid base to work from. All kinds of little variations you can do to keep it fresh. I prefer spinach to lettuce and adding black pepper and cucumbers--or tzatziki. Fuckin' love tzatziki.