Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sex Differences in Homo Sapiens

Type
    INTP
    What's really interesting is how utterly rare it is for a species to have any kind of post-reproductive age lifespan. Menopause is incredibly rare in the animal kingdom and it's existence in our species implies an evolutionary advantage in keeping old ladies around even when we can't make babies anymore.

Whales have menopause too, and in whales they think the old ladies are the repositories of passed down navigation and foraging knowledge.

It may be that the tendency of testosterone laden males to get themselves killed makes them a poor choice as repositories of data (at least back before we had google, lol), and it may account for the fierce protectiveness we feel when it comes to moms and grandmas.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

This SEP field is glorious!

Type
    XXXX
    generational knowledge retention for old ladies should be correct, but i can't see that being something that was actually used by natural selection all that often before society came about...or at least before farming was invented.
    oh well, who knows, i'm jus an idiot with some spare time.

Type
    INTP
    Human evolution necessarily entails society. It just started out as a strictly kin-group society, in which non-reproducing members of both sexes (grandmothers, low ranking males) probably played an important and even decisive role.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    Going down the rabbit hole.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrilocal_residence
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.