1 20.00%
  • Social Media

4 80.00%

Thread: Pandemic Wars: COVID-19 vs. Social Media

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INFP

Pandemic Wars: COVID-19 vs. Social Media

Who wins in the battle of the biggest and baddest pandemics of this century?

I guess it would've been more appropriate to make this Coronavirus vs. Social Media since COVID-19 is a specific coronavirus, and I'm not bringing up specific social media "virus strains".

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    Honorable mention:

--

It literally is a point now where I think we have created tools that are ripping apart the social fabric of how society works. That is truly where we are,” he said. “The short-term, dopamine-driven feedback loops that we have created are destroying how society works: no civil discourse, no cooperation, misinformation, mistruth. And it’s not an American problem. This is not about Russian ads. This is a global problem.”
    "... your behaviors, you don’t realize it, but you are being programmed. It was unintentional, but now you gotta decide how much you’re willing to give up, how much of your intellectual independence."
    “Bad actors can now manipulate large swaths of people to do anything you want,” he told the audience. “And we compound the problem. We curate our lives around this perceived sense of perfection, because we get rewarded in these short-term signals — hearts, likes, thumbs up — and we conflate that with value and we conflate it with truth. And instead, what it is is fake, brittle popularity that’s short-term and leaves you even more, admit it, vacant and empty before you did it. . . . Think about that, compounded by 2 billion people.”

Type
    eNTP
    In addition to the issues of dopamine spike addiction, and the exploitation of pro-social impulses; in addition to the concerns about being too terse, too brief; in addition to the argument that we are training ourselves to be propaganda artists and connoisseurs--for isn't that what memes are? Or isn't a meme what propaganda seeks to be? In addition to giving greater ability for otherwise isolated nutters to gather together, and for all to become consumed in ever greater mob echo chambers, there is something that I think too often fails to be considered when looking at social media mobbing.

Children are on social media too, and are able to have influence because, as was promised when they advertised the coming information superhighway: on the internet, it's more difficult to know you are dealing with a child.

There are tells of course--but given the terseness of the form, they can be slower to surface, and given the size of the masses being swung, the significance gets buried because the momentum is carried through by adults.

Hell, I passed for an adult back in the days of BBS's. If I'd had access to something like Twitter?

If you're skeptical of the argument--and you should be--consider what havoc kids create within their own local social circles through the use of social media, and compare those behaviors to what adults are doing in social media.

Admittedly, the other explanation is that adults are overgrown children who've never outgrown such idiocies--and I'm inclined to believe that argument has merit too. But I remember as teenager, seeing children's TV indoctrinating children into thinking of themselves as a political force, and noting that now, with anonymous social media, they truly could be.
    Last edited by Hephaestus; 05-14-2020 at 08:43 AM. Reason: punctuation.
    "Just because it's 2020 doesn't mean everyone has perfect vision."--catchphrase of a fictional comedian in some movie

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Admittedly, the other explanation is that adults are overgrown children who've never outgrown such idiocies--and I'm inclined to believe that argument has merit too. But I remember as teenager, seeing children's TV indoctrinating children into thinking of themselves as a political force, and noting that now, with anonymous social media, they truly could be.
    After the 'Dexit' phenomenon of grown men spending all day railing on twitter and producing 'evidence' of a plot by Game Freak to deprive them of their childhood memories through the temerity of cutting the number of imaginary creatures in a new version of a children's game, I am increasing inclined to see the merit in this argument.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

-
    Type
    xxxx
    Social media has fried my brain. Wish I could stop using it but it's a good source of income for me.

Type
    INTP
    So I'm the only one voting covid.
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTP
    Either way, we lose.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

This SEP field is glorious!

Type
    eNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    Either way, we lose.
    Sure, but what's the timeline on a social media vaccine?
    "Just because it's 2020 doesn't mean everyone has perfect vision."--catchphrase of a fictional comedian in some movie

Type
    INTP
    Sure, but what's the timeline on a social media vaccine?
    Good point.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

This SEP field is glorious!