Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should humanity wait until it develops FTL travel or is Mars colonization important?

Type
    INTP
    There is still plenty of empty arable land and resources on Earth.

Why go to Mars? It is a barren rock that is extremely hostile to life.
    Big change is coming

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
    There is still plenty of empty arable land and resources on Earth.

Why go to Mars? It is a barren rock that is extremely hostile to life.
    I've heard the Australian interior described the same way. Maybe Mars could be our next penal colony!
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

This SEP field is glorious!

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    I've heard the Australian interior described the same way. Maybe Mars could be our next penal colony!
    I hadn't thought of a penal colony. That could be one reason for going to Mars.

The Australian interior is harsh but Mars is next level harsh. The X-rays, UV light and solar wind (high speed charged particles coming from the sun) are ionizing radiation that cause cancer. The Earth's atmosphere absorbs the X-rays and much of the UV light, and the Earth's magnetic field deflects the charged particles away from the Earth. The high heat capacity of water and the fact that the Earth has so much water means there are not extreme temperature fluctuations on Earth. These three factors (atmosphere, magnetic field and abundant water) are very important for making a planet habitable. Earth has them all but no other planet in the solar system does.
    Big change is coming

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post

Penal colonies weren't set up in the Australian interior. They were right by the beach; most Australians haven't moved far.