Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Winter Olympics Thread

Type
    INTP

Smile 2014 Winter Olympics Thread

I love the Olympics. Maybe not as much as some people, but I like them to an irrational degree.

So will there be a terrorist incident? Do the Russians actually spy on hotel bathrooms? Will they stop killing dogs in the city? Can Russia capture gold in hockey the way the Canadians did in their home country four years ago? Will there be a statement in favor of gay rights akin to the 1968 Olympics?

Competition actually began on Thursday, but the opening ceremony was today.

Personally I am down for some curling. That is a strange sport. I am fascinated by it.

Luge and skeleton terrify the crap out of me. Those people must be insane. Don't care for figure skating, I don't like sports that are decided on aesthetic standards.

Who will Putin make pay for the snowflake failing to open into a ring? (Russian viewers actually got a cutaway to practice footage where they all worked.)

I'm not even going to mention the double toilets.

Type
    XXXX

Type
    ENTP
    This will be a boring Olympics with nothing significant occurring. Other than a plane smashing into it or something.
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Type
    XXXX
    Here's a sport I wish I'd been introduced to as a kid. Had a good time watching it today.

Type
    Intp
    I really like the snowboarder dude who got gold. Way cool. I couldn't even skateboard right. Or ski. Barely ice skated okay, but I did get around enough to go skating. Still. I can only imagine what it might take to do snow boarding. Big huge kahunas, even bigger than mine.
    All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage. Mycroft Holmes

I am not programmed to harm human beings. Baymax

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Makers!* View Post
    Here's a sport I wish I'd been introduced to as a kid. Had a good time watching it today.
    Sending your heart rate sky-high with cross-country skiing then having to shoot targets must be the most disparate pair of disciplines in sports. The only way biathlon could be better is if the targets shot back, like when Finland won the men's team biathlon over the Soviet Union in 1939.
    "Allow me to introduce myself. My name is reality. Your cries do not move me." -- Sistamatic

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    The only way biathlon could be better is if the targets shot back, like when Finland won the men's team biathlon over the Soviet Union in 1939.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Personally I am down for some curling. That is a strange sport. I am fascinated by it.
    Curling. I don't care much for any sports, but I truly want to watch this.

For some reason, my husband still thinks I'm joking when I tell him that I'm excited about the curling.

Type
    INTP
    I love the olympics too. I used to think some of the winter events like ice skating/dancing, curling and x-country skiing were boring/lame, but I seem to continue to enjoy/appreciate them more as I get older.

Type
    INTP
    In the opening ceremony, the countries' athletes entered in Cyrillic alphabetical order. Did anyone else look up the Cyrillic alphabet then? I learned that Germany would enter before Canada and that Chile would enter after Peru, for instance.
    "Allow me to introduce myself. My name is reality. Your cries do not move me." -- Sistamatic