Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homeschool Thread

Type
    INTP
    Teaching is not just explaining. Children need time to consolidate new knowledge. I'd suggest slowing things down and giving your son more time to apply the new concepts to allow him to nut out how they work and how they relate to other knowledge and also build confidence.
    共产主义是邪恶的

Type
    INTP
    So we sort of cooled it with homeschool for a while, nothing but the basics. Reading, writing, a bit of math. Everything else very sporadic and casual.

But kiddo is getting to a point in his reading where it's really starting to click, he's recognizing more words, getting better at sounding things out, getting more fluent.... Also I don't know if I'm coming out of a mild depression now that the election is finally over or if we just needed that break or what, but I'm now feeling more inspired.

Current plan:

- Pick up the pace with the reading. We had slowed it way down, but now that kiddo is hitting his stride we can cover more ground with each lesson.

- More math practice. Kiddo has most of the basic concepts down, but he needs to practice to really get good at it. We're going to finish the little notebook that came with his rekenrek, and I already bought a soroban-style abacus (!) and what looks like a very well laid out workbook to go with it. I am excited to get started. I think kiddo will be reluctant at first, but he'll like it once he gets the hang of it, and I really like how it combines the base-10 place value system with physical beads that you can see and touch.

A good workbook is like a good curriculum + materials all wrapped up in one. Makes life much, much easier. I'm very happy with the workbooks we have.

- World history and geography. We had stalled out for a while, partly because the next steps in my around-the-world plan were things I'd never been particularly interested in (like Australian aborigines... sorry. :/). But luckily the kiddo started to get interested in Ocean Liners, so from there we got back into it with the theme of Ocean Voyages. So right now we're comparing and contrasting early European explorations with the armada of Zheng He and the Polynesian settlers.

- Memorization. The man was horrified that the kiddo didn't even know the alphabet song. He knows the letters, he knows sounds, he's learning how to read - but no I never bothered to teach him to memorize his ABCs - I figured we would do that when he was at a point of actually looking things up in a dictionary. So anyway, now he's actually memorizing it. He was able to get the sequence pretty much down in just a few tries, but his pitch is absolutely terrible....

- Which leads me to world religion and language. I want him to memorize his ABCs, and then (in order of increasing ambition) a couple of basic Catholic prayers, first in English and then in Latin, a couple of Sanskrit mantras, and from there why not continue with Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, etc?

I mean... We'll see how it goes. But I think it would be a really cool way of doing some brain exercises while also talking about religion, culture, and history.

Because if we're going to talk about European conquests we also have to talk about wars of religion.

Oh, which reminds me. I think my approach to covering some of the stuff outside of Eurasia will be to talk about different forms of social organization and government. Which should eventually build some bridges between European classical ideas, some Native American organizations, European institutions, the US constitution, more modern history, etc.

This latter stuff going into next year, or whenever.

Meanwhile my dad signed up the kiddo for kiwi boxes. I'm not super thrilled about a constant influx of toys and stuff in general, but I find that the projects are very well-designed. So there's some science. When the kiddo is really reading and writing well, I want to help him make a proper lab notebook and I have a whole book of energy-themed science experiments I want us to tackle.

Also our local art museum gives out little free art kits to kids, so I want to get into the habit of stopping by and picking up one of those at least once a month.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.