Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Why do some people believe the universe is only 6,000 years old?

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnClay View Post
    My point in my reply is that creationists can spin your problem into a pro-God argument

You didn't answer my question. Why do they believe there's a universe if they can't see it? How do they know it's there? Your article above talks about light years, solar systems, galaxies, radar... Those are all things that were discovered by science, they aren't mentioned in the bible.

Creationists don't believe in science, so how do they know it's there?

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    You didn't answer my question. Why do they believe there's a universe if they can't see it? How do they know it's there? Your article above talks about light years, solar systems, galaxies, radar... Those are all things that were discovered by science, they aren't mentioned in the bible.

Creationists don't believe in science, so how do they know it's there?
    Actually creationists believe they don't reject science....
    https://answersingenesis.org/science/
    "....Science means “knowledge” and refers to a process by which we learn about the natural world. There are two different kinds of science; observational and historical. Historical science deals with the past and is not directly testable or observable so it must be interpreted according to your worldview....."

Their logic might be flawed but my point is that they believe that they're not rejecting science. Asserting that they are would make them think that you misunderstand them and that they are in the right.

Their belief in parts of the universe they can't see would be based on what they call "observational science".

Type
    intp
    Historical science deals with the past and is not directly testable or observable so it must be interpreted according to your worldview....."
    Not science. Like the Bible, they just make up whatever shit they like.

Type
    INTP
    Not science. Like the Bible, they just make up whatever shit they like.
    But the historical vs observational science thing makes sense to them. That is why they believe that. BTW I was a YEC for quite a few years and it took an ex-creationist to reach me... he told me about the Green River Formation and it seemed that it had to be a few million years old...

Type
    intp
    But the historical vs observational science thing makes sense to them.
    Yeah, so does a 6,000 year old Universe. We'll just remove everything that makes it science and call our nonsense "historical science".

Type
    INTP
    Yeah, so does a 6,000 year old Universe. We'll just remove everything that makes it science and call our nonsense "historical science".
    I think to get through to YECs you need to be familiar with their counter-arguments and avoid arguments that they already have counter-arguments for....

Type
    intp
    I think to get through to YECs you need to be familiar with their counter-arguments and avoid arguments that they already have counter-arguments for....
    Who wants to get through to a YEC? Guess Who was just tying himself into knots trying to say a hypothesis isn't scientific if it's based on inductive reasoning rather than deductive.

If they're a YEC, they're too far gone to try and get through to.

Type
    INTP
    Who wants to get through to a YEC? Guess Who was just tying himself into knots trying to say a hypothesis isn't scientific if it's based on inductive reasoning rather than deductive.

If they're a YEC, they're too far gone to try and get through to.
    Then they might convert people they know... and take them to the Ark Encounter or the Creation Museum and show people videos and books, etc....

On the other hand some YECs become atheists rather than OECs...

See the links in option 1:
    https://www.lifesplayer.com/bible.php

Type
    intp
    Then they might convert people they know...

Sure, there's a lot of people vulnerable to manipulation in the world. They'll probably end up being taxed for the privilege.