Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What Would You Do With Your UBI?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    Thinking about this a little more...UBI + socialized healthcare would mean that I wouldn't have to save for the possibility of becoming disabled or needing expensive healthcare or a long retirement should I live to 100. So instead of hoarding money "just in case", I would be free to blow every penny I make on whatever the hell I want. Maybe I'd buy a bigger house, or get a second home in Flagstaff, or something like that. I'd probably end up like my mom, gifting it to people, except they wouldn't need it either. That assumes I keep my current job, of course.
    I wonder if a basic socialized healthcare system would cover all your needs, though. You might want to consider a privately purchased supplement in this hypothetical scenario.

If I had a UBI and healthcare, I might quit my job but only to maybe work as a doula and shadow a midwife. While considering a PhD.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    I wonder if a basic socialized healthcare system would cover all your needs, though. You might want to consider a privately purchased supplement in this hypothetical scenario.

If I had a UBI and healthcare, I might quit my job but only to maybe work as a doula and shadow a midwife. While considering a PhD.

Depends on what your needs are. The average life expectancy is greater in most wealthy countries with universal healthcare than the US and the US spends about three times per capita we do. You'd certainly be better off here in a pandemic than in the US.

We have a single purchaser drug buying agency (PHARMAC) which often comes up in negotiations with the US. That reduces drug costs substantially, but also availability. The latest, most expensive and minimally effective drugs won't be provided. You can purchase supplementary private coverage, but not sure they'd pay hundreds of thousands a month for the latest drugs either.

There are waiting lists for non-urgent surgery (which you can bypass by going to a private hospital), but private hospitals have higher infection rates...

If it's urgent, you won't wait.

I've been in hospitals quite a bit over the last few years (at work and with my parents) and the care has been excellent.

Type
    INTJ
    I'd be living my best life on government subsidised fried chicken and weed.