Thread: Edward Snowden Nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Edward Snowden Nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize

Edward Snowden nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.

http://freesnowden.is/2013/07/14/nom...ize/index.html

In a nutshell, he's been nominated because “The public debate and changes in policy that have followed in the wake of Snowden’s whistleblowing have contributed to a more stable and peaceful world order." They laud him for making a decision which he felt was for the good of everyone, even though it came at great expense to himself.

This is sure to be a controversial nomination in the USA. What do people think about this? Ironically, the Nobel committee gave Obama the Peace prize not so long ago and now Edward Snowden might be getting one for blowing the whistle on his shady administration.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Osito Polar View Post
    This is sure to be a controversial nomination in the USA. What do people think about this? Ironically, the Nobel committee gave Obama the Peace prize not so long ago and now Edward Snowden might be getting one for blowing the whistle on his shady administration.
    I'd be all for it if it weren't for the fact this is is the same organization that previously gave Obama the prize. Destroys all credibility for the whole damn thing, imo.

Anyhow, from what I gather of Snowden, he's more a hero than a villain (if he is to be either of them, that is).

Then again, the whole distrust-the-government in me suspects he's as much a staged orchestration as any other "big events" in recent US history. /paranoia

Type
    intp
    I just glanced through the recent winners of the Nobel Peace Prize and decided I don't have a lot of respect for the prize. (oh cool, another dude!) I do, however, appreciate irony and challenge to the US government, so why not?

If nothing else, people listen to information professional-types a lot more when we mention "metadata" than before. I'm glad that privacy and data issues are getting some attention.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I mean, the Peace Prize has become a bit of a joke in recent years. (Giving it to Obama right after he took office was a stretch to say the least, but giving it to the EU as a corporate entity was really a complete WTF moment.)

I actually agreed and still do with giving it Yasser Arafat. His efforts haven't really amounted to much, but at the time he became a notable figure for making apparent headway toward the resolution of an infamously intractable conflict, at what can only be called great personal expense in terms of political capital. That took the kind of courageous optimism about the future that I understand the prize was originally created to recognize. (The Nobels are supposed to honor useful innovation in each field with an associated prize, so diplomacy/etc being one such field, people like Arafat and Rabin should get it when they achieve notable progress, or at least create legitimate reasons to conclude that's what they've done.) It's not a Lifetime Achievement Award for your contributions to world peace, but a remark on specific actions you took in a specific context. (Nelson Mandela became famous for a similar reason--he was the leader of an armed group but chose to seize an opportunity for a negotiated settlement rather than perpetuate something that could have spiralled into a civil war.)

Snowden's a different type of figure, but I think he fits the profile of the sort of person the award is designed to honor, as well. Maybe comparing him to someone like Alexander Solzhenitsyn isn't quite accurate, but he's that type of famous dissident--a guy who brought real information about some shady shit to global public attention when the people responsible for it would have much preferred that it remain secret and undiscussed. That's worth celebrating.

I think he easily deserved the once-prestigious "Person of the Year" title from TIME magazine, not that I expect them to actually have the balls for that. (They gave it to the pope, basically for saying in public that an institution which has for millennia billed itself as a leading authority on morality should do more to encourage people to be decent to each other. Whatever.)

Considering stuff like [/u]this story from today[/u]--another insider emerging to confirm suggestions in Snowden's documents that NSA phone data is passed to the CIA for use in targeting extralegal assassinations--I'd say this really is the Story of the Year for what it does to public discourse on the present state of military power, and the use thereof, on the part of the world's leading military hegemon.

What I mean is that, while few people who have been paying attention to these issues could have been all that surprised, Snowden's actions have blown away any chance that the agencies involved can continue to maintain "plausible deniability" as a stance in public debates over them. Either the NSA, CIA, the President, et al have to address the topic directly in response to public opinion about it, or they reveal themselves to be running a system that consciously operates on a presumption that they should make policy without accountability to either the US electorate, foreign governments who are ostensible diplomatic partners, or global public opinion in general.

I don't know whether anything will really come of the increased debate, but what Snowden did to spur the debate is a noteworthy accomplishment in its own right. I say give him the prize.

(At the least the Peace Prize has little chance of becoming less legit than the bullshit "Nobel Prize in Economics" which is not actually awarded by the Nobel Committee and has essentially been an overt propaganda tool of the National Bank of Sweden since its inception.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.