Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you sharpen your knives?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    Although I don't understand how the rod straightens it out moreso than the very motion of pulling it through the sharpener.

It would look cool, though.
    I don't think it necessarily does. The honing rod is a traditional chef's tool that's been around since the days when little hand tools didn't exist, and your choices for sharpening were basically a whetstone or a grindstone. Neither of those can be done on the fly in the kitchen, hence the honing rod.

I would suspect that over the long term, you might save metal by using the honing rod more often, because with the other methods you're taking off more metal, and if you do them all the time at least some of it is bound to be unnecessary. But I personally don't use a honing rod anymore... you need to use a knife for a really long time before you start seeing ill effects from it being sharpened too many times.

Type
    INTP
    People sharpen knives.

Okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTP
    So I got the little cheap sharpener and the honing thing.

It's sharper than it was before I sharpened it but definitely not as sharp as when it was brand new. Getting it sharpened professionally every year would probably be the best thing to actually have done.

However, sliding the blade down the honing edge is super satisfying, and maybe over time it will actually get sharper. So I still say it's worth it for that enjoyment alone. And in the meantime I can still slice whatever I need to, even if it doesn't cut exactly as smoothly as it used to.

Maybe I'll treat myself to a professional sharpening one of these days.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    People sharpen knives.

Okay.
    My mum didn't. She used to cut everything with this little blunt as fuck paring knife.

Type
    IXTP

I use an Edge Pro knock-off. It works equally as well as the real deal, but costs $40 instead of $200. The stones that came with it were pretty cheap and at best were barely adequate. So I ordered some 1/2 inch thick moldmaster silicon carbide stones from Congress tools and mounted them to my own aluminum blanks. For about $80 you can make what would be equivalent to $300 if you bought actual Edge Pro stones. I'm getting really good results, but using an edge pro takes quite a bit of finesse and effort to get good, consistent results.

I've been thinking of maybe getting a wicked edge system. They look really snazzy and are dead simple to use and the results are more consistent. But they cost $350 for the cheapest version, and their stones are even more expensive, and there's no way to DIY the stones like you can on the edge pro system.

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    Getting it sharpened professionally every year would probably be the best thing to actually have done..
    Best idea in this thread.

I don't even bother doing it myself anymore. My local farmer's market has a guy that sharpens knives right there and if I get there early enough he's done by the time I'm finished shopping. Whenever they're not feeling right I just take my knives in.

It's generally not a skill worth learning or investing time in unless you're expecting to sharpen knives a lot or you watch too much forged in fire.
    Then why did he put the Devil in me?