Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do people make friends?

Type
    INFP

How do people make friends?

A serious question (mostly).

I guess a more precise sub-question is: how can someone turn fleeting social encounters into lasting friendships?

Type
    INTP
    Try to get some contact info from them/add of a social network. Then arrange to meet again.

Otaku
    Type
    INTP
    Yes, please share, I am also interested. (Especially if you don't use facebook and don't have a phone number and have a bit of a problem with social anxiety...)

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyuri View Post
    Yes, please share, I am also interested. (Especially if you don't use facebook and don't have a phone number and have a bit of a problem with social anxiety...)
    How do you imagine communicating with these hypothetical new friends?

Type
    INTP
    Maybe I'm really an E or getting more socially acclimated, but usually you just ask if they want to hang out sometime. The first step to developing friendships is reaching out and making an effort. They don't get handed to you.

Sysop
    Type
    INTP
    Yeah. I'm not exactly a role-model for making friends (I have very few, and I don't make new friends at all easily or often), but to speak of the new friend or two I've made in recent years... as far as I can tell the friendship developed from (but needn't remain constrained to): a) a common interest, and b) some minimal made effort to hang out, chat, or whatever. The friendship either develops, or doesn't, from there*. I've seen it go both ways. All this as applies to friendships both recently developed, and otherwise, fwiw.

* speaking for myself, anyhow, I've never set out to make friends explicitly or consciously. I just do what I do, meet who I meet, and here and there, I form a friend along the way (as above). Or don't.

Otaku
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirac View Post
    How do you imagine communicating with these hypothetical new friends?
    Uhh talking? As long as it's one-on-one and doesn't involve eye-contact and isn't about the weather/pop culture/politics I'm good. : D

Type
    INTP
    I have always waited until they tell me we're friends ( I don't always agree or believe them, but that is another story). I don't know how to initiate and even after talking and/or hanging around someone for a while I can't tell where that line between aquaintance ends and friends begin.
    You're using big words right now that you don't know the meaning of and you're capitalizing them. You shouldn't do that. ~Osito

I undrill the nuts on either side of my head and let them see me without my robocop visor on, their reaction usually makes it pretty clear.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyuri View Post
    Uhh talking? As long as it's one-on-one and doesn't involve eye-contact and isn't about the weather/pop culture/politics I'm good. : D
    But how will you arrange to meet them? However you intend to do that, make sure it is going to be possible to do before you stop talking to them.