Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping on Strangers

Type
    INTP

Sleeping on Strangers

An artist in New York created a body of work by photographing people's reactions when she "fell asleep" on them on the subway. George Ferrandi says the experiment was based on her take on being lonely in a crowd, with an expectation that more people than others would embrace her.

I'm big on personal space, and I rather expect that I'd be one of those who tries to shrug it off like it's funny, but would quickly get up and move.

How do you think you would react?

eyeing you rabbit warrior kitsune's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    a vast moor in the old world brimming with jackrabbits where three rivers decussate
    Awesome. I'd love to try this experiment in Hamburg.

I'd say it depends on the person falling asleep on me. If it was someone I found attractive, I'd let them sleep on my shoulder and would probably feel bad when I had to wake them up to get off at my exit. If it was someone I wouldn't want to be associated with, they would get the shove and I'd probably get up and leave.

Meanwhile, the experiment makes me thinking of flying in economy class. I think I've fallen asleep on a shoulder or two.

"
    'I cannot play with you,' the fox said. 'I am not tamed.'" - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Le Petit Prince (1943)

REMINDER TO SELF WHEN DEALING WITH THE RABBIT WARRIOR: "All warfare is based on deception." - Sun Tzu,
    The Art of War

Type
    INTP
    I don't like being touched except by my closest family members. I've always thought that this is weird, but that's how I feel. One of the worst things is to be next to an obese person whose body is bulging against me, invading my paid-for space on a plane. I know this isn't PC, but I hate it--it's really creepy. The longer the flight, the more I suffer. I'm sorry that some people are huge, but it's not my fault.

Type
    INTP
    That's funny. I'd think New Yorkers would be more like, "Eh. All in a day." I love the people who smiled in response to being slept on.

Quote Originally Posted by Thevenin View Post
    I don't like being touched except by my closest family members.
    I thought that was a standard INTP thing, or at least an introvert thing. How I loved being in countries where bowing or pressing your hands together ("namaste") was the norm instead of hand shaking or hugs.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

Type
    INxP
    I've had it happen three times I can remember ... all female. Even though I'm a bit flinchy when it comes to personal space, it's kinda nice so long as they are actually sleeping and they don't drool on me.

My shoulder is pretty bony though.

Sysop
    Type
    INTP
    Do not want. I've had this happen before. I tap (shove, or otherwise rouse) them awake to illustrate the situation (and, nonverbally: my dislike of it). If necessarily and possible, I leave, even if that means trading for another form of discomfort (ie, having to stand, etc).

From the photos I saw in the OP's link, it seemed there was a clear split. When the woman fell asleep on other women, the reaction was poor whereas when she slept against a male, they seemed to react with a kind of uncomfortable mirth.

Personally, I don't care whether it is male or female, old or young: unwelcome physical contact is just that: unwelcome, and will be dealt with as such.

I recall there was once that I didn't have many options. It was an international flight in a small plane. The person beside me kept nodding off against my shoulder. Despite my attempts to illustrate my displeasure with this, they kept doing so (I suspect they were very ,very tired or something). So, instead I resorted to making myself an non-viable thing to sleep against. Purposely rolling my shoulder, jittering in my seat, clearing my throat, blaring my headphones, and so on. In the end, that worked, although they dared give me a strange look about it. (insert middle finger thrown at them while they slept here)

Otaku
    Type
    INTP
    I would push them off. It feels weird and itchy and the only person I would endure the feeling for is my mother.

Type
    intp
    I would feel uncomfortable about it, but I don't know if I would necessarily do anything unless I needed to get up. Some combination of social anxiety and feeling bad for tired people. I've fallen asleep on public transit and it's not a good feeling.

I wonder if her "falling asleep" was always convincing, or how obvious the camera was. If I saw someone across the aisle filming, I would probably react differently.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I have a ring that has needle which delivers a neurotoxin to the sleeper. They wake up flopping around in the floor. I move to a different seat. I don't film it. I still call it art.
    Last edited by ~h4ct6al~; 02-10-2014 at 02:08 AM.
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

Type
    Intp
    Quote Originally Posted by latch View Post
    I have a ring that has needle which delivers a neurotoxin to the sleeper. They wake up flopping around in the floor. I move to a different seat. I don't film it. I still call it art.
    All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage. Mycroft Holmes

I am not programmed to harm human beings. Baymax