Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: [News, Politics, Culture] What's going on in your country/city/region?

Type
    intp
    The early results of two referendums are in and it looks like: 1. you can now die on request if you're sick enough and 2. it's still going to be illegal to grow and smoke recreational weed.

Unless there's an awful lot of dope smokers voting from overseas I can't see the results changing much. 41% voting yes for marijuana will take a bit of shifting...

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    The early results of two referendums are in and it looks like: 1. you can now die on request if you're sick enough and 2. it's still going to be illegal to grow and smoke recreational weed.

Unless there's an awful lot of dope smokers voting from overseas I can't see the results changing much. 41% voting yes for marijuana will take a bit of shifting...
    I don't care if people want to smoke weed, but once it became legal in California, the entire state smelled like weed. People would smoke it at the park, on trails, fucking everywhere. You couldn't get away from it. It was on the ballot this year in AZ and honestly I can't remember if I voted yes or no. I hope if it passes, we don't end up like CA.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    I don't care if people want to smoke weed, but once it became legal in California, the entire state smelled like weed. People would smoke it at the park, on trails, fucking everywhere. You couldn't get away from it. It was on the ballot this year in AZ and honestly I can't remember if I voted yes or no. I hope if it passes, we don't end up like CA.
    The proposal was that you still couldn't smoke in public, you could only buy from authorised outlets with limited THC concentrations and no gummies. I voted yes (I don't smoke and don't drink much anymore).

I voted yes because it's currently a major source of income for gangs and when kids go to a gang house to buy marijuana the gangs will do their best to sell them methamphetamine. The only way to protect an illegal business is by violence and the illegal drug trade has no quality control and no protections for the consumer.

Our worst drug by a long shot is alcohol. As they say "a stoned jail is a happy jail". You get alcohol into a jail and they'll burn it down.

Hmmm... the special votes are still to be counted and that's 17% of the vote. Unlikely to change but it's possible.

I was just thinking about you saying that the whole state smelled like weed. I was camping in Amsterdam last year for a couple of days and the campsite stunk of weed from all the young Brits enjoying the ability to smoke in public. Over here the campsite would have been rolling in alcohol. The Amsterdam campsite was packed and pretty quiet. Drunk campers aren't quiet...
    Last edited by jyng1; Today at 04:47 AM.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    The proposal was that you still couldn't smoke in public, you could only buy from authorised outlets with limited THC concentrations and no gummies. I voted yes (I don't smoke and don't drink much anymore).
    Sounds pretty much like the Canadian model.

Anyhow, about a year in to legal (regulated) weed here. I can't tell the difference. All the regulations drive the legal price up, of course, so the legal path is still struggling to oust the black market, but inroads have been made. I think the market is 60/40 legal these days.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    Sounds pretty much like the Canadian model.

Anyhow, about a year in to legal (regulated) weed here. I can't tell the difference. All the regulations drive the legal price up, of course, so the legal path is still struggling to oust the black market, but inroads have been made. I think the market is 60/40 legal these days.

Last couple of times I was in Canada it wasn't legal. I don't know how you'd be able to tell when they changed the law.