Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: [News, Politics, Culture] What's going on in your country/city/region?

Type
    INTP
    The Prime Minister announced out of the blue that the National Anthem had been changed and approved by the Governor General (the head of state in our system) without any public discussion, referendum or vote in parliament. This seems to be the way changes have been made in the past. The change involves replacing the words "we are young and free" with the words "we are one and free" to reflect a change from a colonial nation building perspective to a modern nation in which indigenous people and recent immigrants are a part of.

Sydney now has a mask mandate and parts of Sydney are under a stay at home order that requires people to stay at home (and work from home where possible) except for a limited range of permitted activities.
    < 3 = (!left&&!right)

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
    The Prime Minister announced out of the blue that the National Anthem had been changed and approved by the Governor General (the head of state in our system) without any public discussion, referendum or vote in parliament. This seems to be the way changes have been made in the past. The change involves replacing the words "we are young and free" with the words "we are one and free" to reflect a change from a colonial nation building perspective to a modern nation in which indigenous people and recent immigrants are a part of.

Sydney now has a mask mandate and parts of Sydney are under a stay at home order that requires people to stay at home (and work from home where possible) except for a limited range of permitted activities.
    You're hardly young. The first immigrants arrived 60,000 years ago.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    You're hardly young. The first immigrants arrived 60,000 years ago.
    I think it is a good change. In my view Australia is a good nation and I'd like indigenous Australians to feel that they are a part of it and benefit from living here.

However, other people take a different view. They consider this change to be tokenistic and believe that the problems of indigenous people are because Australia is and has always been a systemically racist nation and that the lives of indigenous people won't improve until non-indigenous Australians face the past and accept the reality of systemic racism and begin to address it.

The famous Aboriginal boxer Anthony Mundine has said the change to the National Anthem is tokenistic and Australia is a systemically racist nation while his father, Warren Mundine, supports the change and, from what I have heard him say in recent years, doesn't seem to support the view that Australia is a systemically racist nation and favours practical measures to try to improve the lives of Aboriginal Australians.

Apparently, New Zealand is a systemically racist nation as well because one in 14 Māori children have a chance of being removed from their parents, compared with one in 50 Pākehā (white) children.
    Last edited by Guess Who; 01-03-2021 at 10:25 PM.
    < 3 = (!left&&!right)

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
    Well Taika Waititi said New Zealand was racist as fuck... but here's irrefutable evidence on why he's wrong.

Type
    intp
    Second race day of the Prada Cup and it's a light wind day with the boats struggling to keep on the foils. American Magic dropped off the foils early and are well behind but the speed difference between displacement and foiling is so high that the race is anyone's until the very end.

Team Ineos UK surprised everyone yesterday and thrashed the Italians and the Americans but they had a decent breeze and I'm still not sure how they'll do in the lighter airs although I suspect they've sorted their issues out.

Type
    intp
    Shit... American Magic just tipped over rounding the final mark while they were half a klick ahead.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/spor...0PbmKZLQa_psII
    Last edited by jyng1; 01-17-2021 at 05:54 AM.

Type
    intp
    Valve's Gabe Newell has been stuck here for a while and is now a resident and is going to support Emirates Team NZ. He reached out to American Magic but they were too slow getting back to him.

Seems like a cool guy; he's already given hundreds of millions to Starship Children's Hospital.

Type
    intp
    American Magic's boat Patriot is back in the water with some nice sticking plaster over the hole.

Last edited by jyng1; 01-27-2021 at 07:09 AM.

Type
    intp
    I was first responder at work when one of our Dutch girls radioed for help a couple of days ago. I was surprisingly not very good after it was over as last time one of my girls radioed for help seven people died - I think I've found my trigger (it was all over pretty quickly as about ten 6'5" monster polynesians backed us up in less than a minute).

Today is the ten year anniversary of the Christchurch Earthquake and people are crying on the radio so the whole country is not great today. We've just heard from a woman doctor who crawled into a tiny space in a collapsed building amid continuing quakes with a knife and a hacksaw and did a double amputation.

And now you cunts are closing down the forum.