Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: [News, Politics, Culture] What's going on in your country/city/region?

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
    Is Labour's strong result mostly due to the New Zealand people's satisfaction with how the government responded to the pandemic or are there other factors that played a significant role?
    Not really sure. New Zealand First (a 26 year old populist party that was in coalition) just got chucked out as well. Both Labour and National are fairly centrist but National are on their third leader in a year and have been on the back foot for a while. Crusher Collins kinda make some fairly obvious appeals to traditional conservative groups by going to pray in a church with the cameras following her and then went to bat for the farmers right to pollute waterways...

From what National said about the door knocking they've done is that those on the right don't actually hate Jacinda and those on the left adore her.

The Pandemic is the third crisis she's dealt with. There was the mosque shooting by an Australian terrorist, White Island blowing up and then covid. She's handled them all pretty competently.

The lockdown was a masterclass in communication with three of them fronting at 1.00 pm on the news every day. The head of the department of health had his own little fan club (T shirt below) and the Chief Police Inspector was an old guy with a lot of gravitas. It was compulsory viewing. it was clear and simple with a straightforward plan and people saw the results every day.

She certainly didn't deserve to lose but the opposition was in a bit of disarray.

The Libertarian party (ACT), did pretty well and I think they stole votes of the more centrist right wing party. They stood on some funny stuff for a libertarian party. Things like advocating for managing covid like Taiwan (heavily into using private data), but also pushing a euthanasia bill (which has gone to referendum) and relaxing gun control laws.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    New Zealand First (a 26 year old populist party that was in coalition) just got chucked out as well.]
    No more Winston Peters! How do you feel about his performance while he was the Deputy PM?

Type
    intp
    No more Winston Peters! How do you feel about his performance while he was the Deputy PM?
    He was a pain in the arse. His main position was as a handbrake to Labour over the last 3 years and I don't think that garnered any votes. There was also a campaign finance scandal that's been simmering just under the radar.

I'm not sure if you remember him going with Labour last election and forming a Labour, NZ First, Green coalition. A lot of people were not happy, particularly National who had no other friends and were the highest polling party, but also his voter base (who are disgruntled old folks) so probably a lot of them as well.

Type
    INTP

Type
    intp
    Not a bad trans Tasman haul today:

New Zealand horse Verry Elleegent wins Melbourne's Caulfield Cup
    New Zealand driver Shane Van Gisbergen wins Bathurst
    All Blacks win second Bledisloe Cup against the Wallabies 27-7 in their 20th straight win at a packed Eden Park.

Type
    INTP
    He was a pain in the arse. His main position was as a handbrake to Labour over the last 3 years and I don't think that garnered any votes. There was also a campaign finance scandal that's been simmering just under the radar.

I'm not sure if you remember him going with Labour last election and forming a Labour, NZ First, Green coalition. A lot of people were not happy, particularly National who had no other friends and were the highest polling party, but also his voter base (who are disgruntled old folks) so probably a lot of them as well.
    No brakes, three years of full-on progressive. Good luck with that.

Type
    intp
    No brakes, three years of full-on progressive. Good luck with that.
    The funniest was the Advance NZ party (QAnon) who failed miserably. I think they got hit by 5G. They were having a bleat about it on Facebook... well they were until Facebook kicked them off.

You'll be really disappointed about the progressives trying to end child poverty. I know how much you like having hungry children on the street.

Type
    INTP
    The funniest was the Advance NZ party (QAnon) who failed miserably. I think they got hit by 5G. They were having a bleat about it on Facebook... well they were until Facebook kicked them off.

You'll be really disappointed about the progressives trying to end child poverty. I know how much you like having hungry children on the street.
    That is a noble goal and I sincerely hope you make a real dent in the problem.

We reached that goal back in 1990. Maybe you should follow Australia's lead. jk

Type
    intp
    That is a noble goal and I sincerely hope you make a real dent in the problem.

We reached that goal back in 1990. Maybe you should follow Australia's lead. jk
    Are you advising me to follow Australian marxists?

(about 774,000 Australian children are in poverty btw).

Type
    intp
    This narcissistic sexual predator conspiracy spreading dickhead just got Tova'd