Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Under what conditions do you like dill?

Type
    intp
    I spent a week or two building a wharf for a Salmon farm back in the 80s when I was still in the Army. I don't recommend eating Salmon for a week, dill or no dill...

Type
    INTP
    I will also have to queue up for the Acow brawl.

I don't particularly care for cream cheese, dill, especially not capers, and I don't really understand the fuss about bagels. Salmon is OK, but fillet style cooked properly.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    Salmon is OK, but fillet style cooked properly.
    The canned stuff can fuck off.

I baked a fillet in the oven last night garnished with a sweet chili sauce... not bad.
    Last edited by jyng1; 11-10-2020 at 08:26 PM.

Type
    isfp
    Quote Originally Posted by Limes View Post
    [maintains eye contact with ACow and takes a deep breath]
    It has to be fresh caught salmon. 99% of salmon, including anything branded as Scottish or Norwegian is farm raised now. It's generally the survivor of a loch based enclosure of the diseased, captive and covered in parasitic sea lice and pumped full of antibiotics as well as flesh dyeing feed pellets to fatten them up. You can tell by the white pieces between the meat itself, you can actually see the fat on the farmed stuff. I think smoked haddock might be the last fish I kinda-sorta like and even then, meh, it's full of needle like bones.
    Salmon is the new Tilapia. They're taking the piss. This is the kind of fuckery that got BSE started. It's worth a billion a year to Scotland alone and almost half of the fish are dying each yield year.
    What's BSE?

Type
    INTJ
    Quote Originally Posted by roki View Post
    What's BSE?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovine...encephalopathy

The human variant is CJD, which they had said could incubate as long as fifty years [edit: now looks like up to five]. I don't believe there's been an uptick of it though. Basically, they fed cows, herbivores, ground up diseased sheep, which had a sheep disease called scrapie.

Type
    INTJ
    As for dill, I think the Greeks use a lot of it. I bought a bunch of Greek herbs and spices in Greece last year and you can certainly overdo the dill on kebabs so they taste a bit soapy and bitter. It's good in moderation, especially in a nice creamy tzatziki yogurt sauce with garlic.

mmm kebab...

Type
    isfp
    As for dill, I think the Greeks use a lot of it. I bought a bunch of Greek herbs and spices in Greece last year and you can certainly overdo the dill on kebabs so they taste a bit soapy and bitter. It's good in moderation, especially in a nice creamy tzatziki yogurt sauce with garlic.

mmm kebab...
    Ok the metric fuckton of dill weed makes sense now considering the owner is 100% Greek

Type
    INXj
    It has to be fresh caught salmon. 99% of salmon, including anything branded as Scottish or Norwegian is farm raised now. It's generally the survivor of a loch based enclosure of the diseased, captive and covered in parasitic sea lice and pumped full of antibiotics as well as flesh dyeing feed pellets to fatten them up. You can tell by the white pieces between the meat itself, you can actually see the fat on the farmed stuff. I think smoked haddock might be the last fish I kinda-sorta like and even then, meh, it's full of needle like bones.
    Salmon is the new Tilapia. They're taking the piss. This is the kind of fuckery that got BSE started. It's worth a billion a year to Scotland alone and almost half of the fish are dying each yield year.
    This reminds me of the time I went fishing with the husband and caught a good-sized walleye. I noticed some gnarly looking white strands in its stomach while filleting it. Dang, parasites. Good thing I was wearing gloves! I didn't go fishing again. It's a damn waste of time when you just release your catch.

Type
    isfp
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
    This reminds me of the time I went fishing with the husband and caught a good-sized walleye. I noticed some gnarly looking white strands in its stomach while filleting it. Dang, parasites. Good thing I was wearing gloves! I didn't go fishing again. It's a damn waste of time when you just release your catch.
    What could've happened if you weren't wearing gloves?

Type
    INXj
    Quote Originally Posted by roki View Post
    What could've happened if you weren't wearing gloves?
    The thought of it makes me sick . Though I would only have to worry if I had a cut or ingested it. Some parasites we can get somewhere else really. I know you can get tapeworms from eating steak or sashimi.

What you don't know can't hurt you...