Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Behavioral Issues and Type

Type
    ENTP

Behavioral Issues and Type

I read an interesting opinion piece about the importance of living authentically with your type. The author argues that many behavioral issues result from living a life which conflicts with your personality type, and that certain behaviors represent an attempted escape from this conflict.

http://personalityjunkie.com/05/inau...ssatisfaction/

I don't agree with everything he says, and some of the arguments are easily challenged - but it did make me think.

What do you think?
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Type
    INTP
    It's a nice idea but it can't be put into effect until the rest of the world develops a better understanding of their fellow human beings.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    I agree with this, at least in respect to personal relationships. I've been just rattling off whatever the hell is on my mind on the last few dates I've been on. I can't say they were successful, but at least I enjoyed myself, which is better than the opposite, really. By success, I mean, getting to another date, not necessarily any sort of activity involving physical contact.

I made a joke about Wishbone promoting bestiality, and I don't feel apologetic about it all. I think in any kind of relationship it's important to be able to share what I feel are some of the best parts of myself, and my sense of humor is part of that. Before, I would avoid making that joke. The outcome would usually be same anyway, so why not at least make it better for me? I know I'm not "supposed " to do that. But so fucking what? When has doing what I'm "supposed" to ever helped me?

Hmmm, they might have a point about mundane office jobs, also.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I know I'm not "supposed " to do that. But so fucking what? When has doing what I'm "supposed" to ever helped me?
    Being endlessly single and unemployable aren't very helpful either, though.

Type
    INTP
    It makes sense to me. I've been recently thinking about how the environment you live in must reflect your personality, or your productivity sinks. This applies to your home as well as your job.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    Being endlessly single and unemployable aren't very helpful either, though.
    The job is trickier, to be sure. I'm not sure that I feel like compromising that much with regards to romance, though. Of course, it should be said that when I was willing to do the most compromising, I had the most success. But then those relationships lacked many out of the things I wanted out of them to begin with.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    The job is trickier, to be sure. I'm not sure that I feel like compromising that much with regards to romance, though. Of course, it should be said that when I was willing to do the most compromising, I had the most success. But then those relationships lacked many out of the things I wanted out of them to begin with.
    I'd rather be alone than in a relationship where I had to act like someone else. Being unemployable would get old quick though.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    I'd rather be alone than in a relationship where I had to act like someone else.
    I wasn't advocating anyone do that, I was just pointing out there are consequences.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    The article is a bad one for several reasons that I don't think I have to point out, but mainly I just don't think people should shy away from experimenting with things that push them outside their comfort zone. Especially in teen and young adulthood years. A lot of the growth I achieved in my 20s was learning how to be a little more extroverted than I was, I think that's where I made the most progress "outside my type" (I'm supposedly 12% E now although I don't really agree I'm not an introvert). A little less progress was made with extroverted feeling, mainly through romantic relationships, and little to no progress with introverted feeling (maybe if I had been psychoanalyzed I would have improved on that front). I still want to be a little more J with work, even though I'm not the disaster I used to be.

Basically, when you're in a situation that's making you uncomfortable, good. You'll learn something from repeated exposure to those situations, you'll become more versatile. That doesn't mean your whole life has to be a lie; I don't advocate betraying your deepest personal preferences either. Don't devote your life to extroverted work when you're not an extrovert, and vice versa. But knowing how to roll with it when it's necessary is just another part of becoming a mature adult.

I know some people who are well into their 20s or 30s and just cannot stand being outside their own comfort zone for very long. In other words, "I'm not going to do what I don't like to do." Quitting jobs, quitting people, quitting entire social circles, continually seeking whatever glorious alternative they think will give them a life where they don't have to put up with people or things that they don't like. Fucking grow up. The world hasn't been cut out just for you. You have to cut something liveable out of it with your own goddamned sacrifice. The place where work is a walk in the park and everyone kisses your ass doesn't exist. The sooner they realize that, the sooner they'll start being able to depend on themselves.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INFP
    The author would probably advocate a career version of Polemarch's futuristic marriage scheme.