Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Rabbit-Hole After Dark

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP

The Rabbit-Hole After Dark

I've been arguing so much with some disadvantaged children of late that I've really started pouring my mania into ideas about green solutions.

Being a tree huger, I have issues with Rotor Wind Turbines because they cause a number of Bird & bat kills (especially among apex predictors).
    Thus I'm always looking for a Non-Rotor solution to the wind power issue.

Recently I mentioned that I liked this idea:
    http://sheerwind.com/wp-content/uplo...orks-photo.jpg

But as it turns out, this is just Tech-Quackery.

One of the huge issues with Green wind is that efficiencies suck vs rotor (or what is called HAWT >> Horizontal Axial Wind Turbine).
    But I'm still hopeful of finding a VAWT >> (Vertical Axial Wind Turbine) design with fairly good output.

Anyways, still tumbling down the hole but wanted to throw up some if the idea-gasam splatter.

Anyone with Turbine or Non-Cogging PMA design experience, I'd like to hear your input. Thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savonius_wind_turbine

My three-blade attempt at more lift and less drag Savonius
    Spoiler: Animated Gifs about 3 mb

Concepts for an integrated Off-Grid lifestyle.

Water purification has hit a snag because I can't come up with a cheap cathode idea that dosent shed metal ions & cloud the water with "rust' salts.

Well, that didn't translate nicely from BMP to GIF

Looking into DIY wind system has been a delightful re-visitation of youthful interest in electrical concepts.

The wind turbines typically feature home round coils and Rare Earth Magnets embedded in resin Stator & Rotor disks.

This Lynx dude seems to have he shit together about VAWTS and runs his own little forum on the subject.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/LynxSteam?feature=watch

Anyways, Back to the hunt for now.

Type
    INtP
    A Valentine card I made for one of the short-bus children I play with elsewhere.
    He thinks the world is a cool place and prays at the alter of WUWT.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by OrionzRevenge View Post
    Looking into DIY wind system has been a delightful re-visitation of youthful interest in electrical concepts.

The wind turbines typically feature home round coils and Rare Earth Magnets embedded in resin Stator & Rotor disks.
    I don't know enough about electronics to know whether or not this is viable, but you could pick up a dead or old/ugly ceiling fan for free or nearly free and use the components like this guy is talking about:

Technical explanation:

There are also videos of people converting other things with motors to suit this purpose. Seems easier than creating a generator from scratch.
    Last edited by rhinosaur; 02-16-2014 at 02:19 PM.

Type
    INtP
    Thanks, I've been reviewing these sorts of videos a good deal. The issue with non-purpose made Gens/motors or PMA is that it has to perfectly fit your desired turbine design/needs.

A fan motor intuitively seems a reasonable idea because it doesn't cog (the coils have iron cores that attract the magnets and resist rotation at low torque. And since the fan motor isn't designed to deliver a lot of torque, (like the compressor motor in the fridge for example) it doesn't use nor could it make a lot of power.

If you wanted something not much bigger than the fan itself, to put at a campsite say, in order to run some led lights and recharge laptops or cellphones... well, that'd work.

For some substantial watts from scrap, you'd want something like a car alternator or starter motor. But they cog like a mother and you have to run them a super fast RPMs. So you'd need to invest in a huge turbine giving gobs of torque to overcome the clogging.

And that torque would have to be multiplied because you'd need a system of gears or pulley wheels to increase the RPMs. Most in this situation would opt for pulleys & belts and that requires even more torque to overcome belt friction.

So you'd need a huge turbine at huge expense.
    That was willing to start turning at low wind speed. So if you are thinking really big, then you might well find something useful at the junkyard or whatnot.

The hand built ones are really simple to construct, have low mechanical resistance, and can be perfectly mated with whatever turbine you want to build.

Typical Rare Earth magnets used in home-brewed Gens/PMAs will lift 70 pounds of Iron.

There is the Highlander Off the Grid'er dude that is like a guru and teaches workshops and whatnot. He has a DIY book that spells out how to mate designs.

The Wind Turbine Recipe Book by Hugh Piggott ~~ It can be found at 4shared.com

If someone wants a book that spells out all the math in detail, Wiley has a good book, but I can't recall the title.

Thanks again.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Recently I mentioned that I liked this idea:
    http://sheerwind.com/wp-content/uplo...orks-photo.jpg

But as it turns out, this is just Tech-Quackery.

One of the huge issues with Green wind is that efficiencies suck vs rotor
    It certainly does suck. If I build that hideous thing, my neighbors will complain(more than they already do). The Tesla turbine doesn't have any blades.

I already put photovoltaics on my roof, but I'd love to put some evacuated tubes up there. They freaking rock.

One night at like 3 in the morning, we woke up and there was no power on the whole street. I was the only one that had lights. I brag about it like any off-the-grid evangelist would.
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

Type
    iNtP
    someone has installed a VAWT in the town where i live, it never spins(of course there is alot of factors). have you considered color coding(high contrasting)/LED's/sonar emitting devices installed on the horizontal rotors? sorry i cant help on a VAWT design

Type
    INtP
    ^^^ I haven't even looked into Evacuated Tubes yet.
    *sigh* I don't think I'd be like Twilight Zone regretting it if I could have about 300 more years, and a re-sharpened mind to go along with it.

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by mhc View Post
    someone has installed a VAWT in the town where i live, it never spins(of course there is alot of factors). have you considered color coding(high contrasting)/LED's/sonar emitting devices installed on the horizontal rotors? sorry i cant help on a VAWT design
    Well, only the audio thingy, but for industrial sized HAWTs.

Eagles are like the big-dog dragon thingy in Avatar, they never have had a need to look anywhere but at the ground for food. There is on HAWT array in a mountain pass in California that takes out around 60 eagles a year.

Back in 2008 when I joined this group, I remember voicing a potential concern for avian safety with regard to huge HAWTs and got the "wut?", and I didn't help my argument when I reasoned that "Well, if barbed-wire was the bane of the whooping crane..."

Type
    iNtP
    Well, only the audio thingy, but for industrial sized HAWTs.

Eagles are like the big-dog dragon thingy in Avatar, they never have had a need to look anywhere but at the ground for food. There is on HAWT array in a mountain pass in California that takes out around 60 eagles a year.

Back in 2008 when I joined this group, I remember voicing a potential concern for avian safety with regard to huge HAWTs and got the "wut?", and I didn't help my argument when I reasoned that "Well, if barbed-wire was the bane of the whooping crane..."
    in australia, these wind farms are popping up every (the price of power here is huge, and a wind farm makes a good, relatively cheap investment with good returns), however, i have not heard of the impact to birds or bats before, but i think it is very relevant. unfortunately, as money makes the world go round, and with the climate change debacle being forced down our throats, i dont think much will be done to stop the spread of the wind farms anytime soon.

wouldnt a vertical rotor still have the potential to kill wildlife also? bird proofing the area around the rotor might prove more successful that doing something at the actual rotor itself

Type
    iNtP
    another interesting point on wind farms, once the global market for carbon kicks in, wind farms will be even more lucrative