Thread: WhatsApp linking to FB

Type
    INTP

WhatsApp linking to FB

So, my FB account has been closed for a year now, but it seems WhatsApp will start sharing data with FB on Feb 8. I'm not too happy about that. Does anyone use either or both of these platforms? Do you plan to ditch any of them because of this? What's a good alternative messaging service?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTP
    I mostly try to use Signal, but I've got a bunch of family on FB messenger and they're not gonna switch.

Just don't ever expect true privacy or anonymity on the internet. If there's a risk, keep it offline if you can.

Type
    isfp
    I used to use Line back around 2014ish. It is a good messaging app. The problem is other people aren't eager to download it for whatever reason. Same thing with Keybase. I use FB Messenger now because almost everyone I speak to has that.

Type
    INTP
    I deleted my WhatsApp account as a result of these privacy policy changes.
    Signal, Telegram are good alternatives.
    Messenger still a necessity for me, unfortunately.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    So, my FB account has been closed for a year now, but it seems WhatsApp will start sharing data with FB on Feb 8. I'm not too happy about that. Does anyone use either or both of these platforms? Do you plan to ditch any of them because of this? What's a good alternative messaging service?
    What's your beef specifically? I have accounts on both of these (that I barely use). Other than a bit of social banter and sharing a few pics with friends there is no data I would really care about being shared between the two. Maybe Whatsapp has some location data since it's on my phone. I don't really care about that either, I'm not going anywhere of interest (or shame).

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer privacy but that ship has sailed. Aside from potential identity theft data I don't worry about other crap (i.e. targeted ads). It's either get off the grid or give up on internet tech from what I can see.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    What's your beef specifically? I have accounts on both of these (that I barely use). Other than a bit of social banter and sharing a few pics with friends there is no data I would really care about being shared between the two. Maybe Whatsapp has some location data since it's on my phone. I don't really care about that either, I'm not going anywhere of interest (or shame).

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer privacy but that ship has sailed. Aside from potential identity theft data I don't worry about other crap (i.e. targeted ads). It's either get off the grid or give up on internet tech from what I can see.
    Here is some of the data WhatsApp collects (and will share with Facebook and its 'family of companies'):

User phone numbers
    Other people’s phone numbers stored in address books
    Profile names
    Profile pictures and
    Status message including when a user was last online
    Diagnostic data collected from app logs

Source: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...using-the-app/