Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Who here has tried writing a book?

Type
    INTP
    So... I'm not the only one infuriated when upper case is ignored?
    Not specifically Wolf, he seems cool. But everywhere. The internet has destroyed the correct use of upper case characters.

Type
    INTP
    I really don't care about capitalisation, it doesn't change the readability of the text very much at all (to me). Bad grammar/spelling actually makes a difference.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    See, not only are you an alleged writing teacher who doesn't use caps (until now) but you don't even have the creativity to imagine pinkyless people. It doesn't add up. If I were your teacher your assignment would be to write a short story about a family of pinkyless people who despite their condition learn to use the shift key.
    oh, come on now. it's one less key to press when typing.
    Loneliness isn't being alone with no one to talk to. Loneliness is being surrounded by so many people, none of whom sees the real you. Loneliness isn't an island. It's a sea of people moving through you and past you. It's a storm of empty days and empty moments, going through the motions and hoping that just for one day your emptiness is filled.

Loneliness isn't a state of being alone, but a state of not being fully understood.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    oh, come on now. it's one less key to press when typing.
    @Wolf It does sort of blow my mind that you could work as a ghost writer without getting into the habit of using capitalization. I don't even think about it when I type capitals. When I want to type a capital, it just happens, almost like magic. There was a time, like decades ago when I was first learning to touch type, when I had to think about it each time I typed a capital, but it seems to me that practice would inevitably eliminate that necessity.

So how do you write entire books with capitals without getting into the habit of using capitals? How is that even possible for an intuitive?
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    I knew you were one or another or both. http://forums.intpcomplex.com/showth...ghlight=school

But don't go by the poll. People here are hiding their occupation for the purpose of that poll for some reason. The truth becomes clear as you read the forum.

Do you have pinkies?
    Almost everyone with a degree will teach at some point in their lives...but for most it is temporary as full time teaching in the American Education system eventually leads to burnout and psychosis in the majority of people. Almost everyone I went to college with 25 years ago has spent some time in their career teaching. If you go to grad school, you will almost surely be required to teach as part of the deal. The phenom you are noticing on the forum is because we are a highly educated lot. If you get good at anything, chances are you will be asked to teach others.

Ex.
    Would you call Brandon Sanderson a teacher or a writer? He's been teaching college courses for years.
    Would you call Noam Chompsky a teacher or a linguist or a writer or a scientist?
    Would you call Jane Goodall a primate biologist or a teacher?
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    @Wolf It does sort of blow my mind that you could work as a ghost writer without getting into the habit of using capitalization.
    i like writing in lower case when just writing casually. it's a quirk that gives me the illusion that i'm writing casually, and not working. in other forums, i even drop all semblance of grammar and use net lingo.
    So how do you write entire books with capitals without getting into the habit of using capitals? How is that even possible for an intuitive?
    instinct? i've been writing for a very long time and the habit of capitilizing when i want to, as i need to, is just there. why will you have trouble switching between the two?
    Loneliness isn't being alone with no one to talk to. Loneliness is being surrounded by so many people, none of whom sees the real you. Loneliness isn't an island. It's a sea of people moving through you and past you. It's a storm of empty days and empty moments, going through the motions and hoping that just for one day your emptiness is filled.

Loneliness isn't a state of being alone, but a state of not being fully understood.

Colymbosathon ecplecticos BarIII's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    FWIW, David Leonhardt, an economics writer for the NY Times has emailed me in all lower case.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

Type
    ISFP
    I tried once, way back then. Wrote the first chapter. It was a squadron of afterlife "angels" sent to earth to restore peace among humans. But that peace would be restored through hints and random incidents in the eyes of men.
    I thought idea was kind of cool. And my writing wasn't bad. The problem is that I knew It would take so long to finish it and edit so it could be released in a pro way so I could show someone and have opinions. So I discarded it. Plus its not so fun.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    i like writing in lower case when just writing casually. it's a quirk that gives me the illusion that i'm writing casually, and not working. in other forums, i even drop all semblance of grammar and use net lingo.
    instinct? i've been writing for a very long time and the habit of capitilizing when i want to, as i need to, is just there. why will you have trouble switching between the two?
    Fascinating. It still blows my mind.

I have to actively think about it to not capitalize the first word of a sentence, "I," proper nouns, etc. As in it is far more work to leave a capital off than it is to put one in. The process has been completely automated by my brain. I could probably learn to switch back and forth, but it would be like learning to drive in a country where the lane directions are reversed. It would take some serious effort and I'd probably make lots of mistakes at first.

Fwiw, I don't care if you capitalize or not. At least you are consistent.

I also have trouble only putting one space after a period. When I took typing in the 80s, two spaces was the rule, and I mentally automated it. I've been attempting to train myself to use just one space after a period, but all I've managed to do is make myself inconsistent. I always find and replace two spaces for one in all my professional writing before it leaves me.
    Last edited by Sistamatic; 12-18-2017 at 07:10 AM.

Type
    XXXX
    "Long live the weeds and the wilderness!"