Results 3,421 to 3,430 of 3450

Thread: What are you Watching?

Type
    INTP
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    INTP

If I was King I would create a haram of women and use droit du seigneur. . . *sobs*

Taylor Wiseman posted
    1. Robert was the oldest, William was second.
    2. England was not his greatest kingdom. He was Duke of Normandy first and foremost, which is why he gave it to his SECOND son.
    3. Yes, Richard and Philip slept in the same bed. WITH A SWORD BETWEEN THEM. It was done as a way to symbolize their alliance.
    4. Despenser was not killed by the Lancasters. He was executed by Queen Isabella and Roger Mortimer. Lancaster was dead by that point.
    5. John of Gaunt was not the only uncle trying to control things. There were also Lionel, Edmund, and Thomas.
    6. Peasants and slaves are not the same thing.
    7. Nobility wasn't the target. They wanted the Flemish merchants and royal advisers who were running the country into the ground.
    8. You make it sound like those two reasons were why Richard II was hated. Did you miss the part where he insulted, stole from, and shunted aside everyone except his little clique?
    9. WOAH WOAH WOAH You went from de Vere's death to Richard's WAY TOO FAST! At first, they tried to just limit his power. He wasn't overthrown until he went back on his word then stole his cousin's inheritance.
    10. He wasn't James I of England and Scotland. He was still James VI in Scotland. He was James I and VI.

I was playing Assassins Creed Syndicate recently and Queen Victoria was featured near the end in a DLC.
    Last edited by Catoptric; 07-07-2019 at 11:34 PM.

Type
    INTP
    TV program "The Good Place"...

Comedy gold, great concept!!
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    ISTP
    Black and White movies

Type
    INTP

I'm calling the health inspector.

Last edited by Catoptric; 07-10-2019 at 12:00 PM.

Type
    INTP
    I get the impression he is not being entirely truthful.

Big change is coming

Type
    INTx
    Quote Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
    I get the impression he is not being entirely truthful.
    He seems earnest to me. I'm familiar with how he speaks from seeing him on TV, mostly on the PBS News Hour. He generally sounds like he's speaking with conviction. Here it's turned up a notch with extra emotion in his voice.

The Weaver movement appears to be his brainchild and very meaningful to him. It even has a manifesto, which I haven't read.

“The Weaver movement is repairing our country’s social fabric, which is badly frayed by distrust, division and exclusion. People are quietly working across America to end loneliness and isolation and weave inclusive communities. Join us in shifting our culture from hyper-individualism that is all about personal success, to relationalism that puts relationships at the center of our lives.” —David Brooks

He's not alone in the conclusion that people are more isolated and disconnected. I don't disagree that people and society would generally benefit by placing more emphasis on building and maintaining relationships with others. I'm concerned that he may be setting up a bad, good binary between individualism and "relationalism." What's optimal is a healthy balance. You're not best suited to take care of others if you haven't taken care of yourself.

Relationalism seems related to collectivism. Maybe the distinction is that relationalism is more organic, not state made/controlled. That would be in line with my sense of his philosophy, just from hearing him over the years.

Again, I'm concerned about vilifying individualism and the slippery slope of collectivism. Sure, hyper-individualism is cold and isolating. But state administered hyper-collectivism is also cold. Plus it's oppressive; wastes resources; impoverishes; and it's difficult to escape.

To promote involvement with community groups there's no need to talk down individualism.

I think it's just a coincidence that the Weavers were also a folk music group that was blacklisted in the 50s for communist sympathies. Probably a happy coincidence for Brooks. He likes to distinguish himself from other conservatives and highly favors bridge building.
    Last edited by Sir Caveat; 07-10-2019 at 03:40 PM.
    You hide behind caveats and modifiers. - Lurker

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Caveat View Post
    He seems earnest to me. I'm familiar with how he speaks from seeing him on TV, mostly on the PBS News Hour. He generally sounds like he's speaking with conviction. Here it's turned up a notch with extra emotion in his voice.

The Weaver movement appears to be his brainchild and very meaningful to him. It even has a manifesto, which I haven't read.

“The Weaver movement is repairing our country’s social fabric, which is badly frayed by distrust, division and exclusion. People are quietly working across America to end loneliness and isolation and weave inclusive communities. Join us in shifting our culture from hyper-individualism that is all about personal success, to relationalism that puts relationships at the center of our lives.” —David Brooks

He's not alone in the conclusion that people are more isolated and disconnected. I don't disagree that people and society would generally benefit by placing more emphasis on building and maintaining relationships with others. I'm concerned that he may be setting up a bad, good binary between individualism and "relationalism." What's optimal is a healthy balance. You're not best suited to take care of others if you haven't taken care of yourself.

Relationalism seems related to collectivism. Maybe the distinction is that relationalism is more organic, not state made/controlled. That would be in line with my sense of his philosophy, just from hearing him over the years.

Again, I'm concerned about vilifying individualism and the slippery slope of collectivism. Sure, hyper-individualism is cold and isolating. But state administered hyper-collectivism is also cold. Plus it's oppressive; wastes resources; impoverishes; and it's difficult to escape.

To promote involvement with community groups there's no need to talk down individualism.

I think it's just a coincidence that the Weavers were also a folk music group that was blacklisted in the 50s for communist sympathies. Probably a happy coincidence for Brooks. He likes to distinguish himself from other conservatives and highly favors bridge building.
    There is clearly a problem in the West - love is disappearing. He is talking about the symptoms of the problem and proposing measures to address the symptoms but he seems to be avoiding mentioning the root cause. Instead of just using the word 'love', he talks about relationships (connections) and promotes a movement to weave people together to repair the social fabric.

I am distrustful of movements. Movements led by famous individuals claiming to address problems seem to pop up whenever a problem gets too big too be ignored but typically end up leading people away from actually addressing the root causes of the problem and just serve to distract people and prevent them from seeing the root cause or taking steps to address it.

The word relationalism is a made-up word that sounds like love but can be morphed in future to mean something that is far from love.

I am not sure that the problem is "distrust, division and exclusion" or a culture of hyper-individualism. Some people buy into the cult of materialism and prestige but most don't. I think he still does and pretending not to is making him feel uncomfortable and this is showing in his voice and body language. I could be wrong.

At 2:33 - "The wages of sin is sin." What does this mean?
    Big change is coming

Type
    INTP
    Last edited by Catoptric; 07-11-2019 at 09:24 AM.

Type
    INTx
    Quote Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
    There is clearly a problem in the West - love is disappearing. He is talking about the symptoms of the problem and proposing measures to address the symptoms but he seems to be avoiding mentioning the root cause. Instead of just using the word 'love', he talks about relationships (connections) and promotes a movement to weave people together to repair the social fabric.

I am distrustful of movements. Movements led by famous individuals claiming to address problems seem to pop up whenever a problem gets too big too be ignored but typically end up leading people away from actually addressing the root causes of the problem and just serve to distract people and prevent them from seeing the root cause or taking steps to address it.

The word relationalism is a made-up word that sounds like love but can be morphed in future to mean something that is far from love.

I am not sure that the problem is "distrust, division and exclusion" or a culture of hyper-individualism. Some people buy into the cult of materialism and prestige but most don't. I think he still does and pretending not to is making him feel uncomfortable and this is showing in his voice and body language. I could be wrong.

At 2:33 - "The wages of sin is sin." What does this mean?
    I think the causation more likely runs in the opposite direction, that a lack of love is a symptom of a lack of relationships.

Is it realistic to expect a degree of love, if any, of a stranger that's the same as love of someone with whom you have a personal relationship?

It's profound sounding but yeah it's not clear what he means by "the wages of sin is sin." It's a thing that a guy having a midlife crisis says.

EDIT: On 2d thought, I think it means sin begets other sins.
    Last edited by Sir Caveat; 07-11-2019 at 12:48 PM.
    You hide behind caveats and modifiers. - Lurker