Page 344 of 344 FirstFirst ... 244294334342343344
Results 3,431 to 3,439 of 3439

Thread: What are you Watching?

Type
    INTP

I was considering getting a CDL though see a tremendous variation in those that either get hugely rewarded with compensation, but otherwise exploited.

All you need to do is study and take the test; driving schools or companies that claim they will pay you to train to get the CDL, might also charge $7500 or more to get "trained" in their program, which might also keep you tied to their company.

Last edited by Catoptric; 07-11-2019 at 11:18 PM.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Caveat View Post
    I think the causation more likely runs in the opposite direction, that a lack of love is a symptom of a lack of relationships.

Is it realistic to expect a degree of love, if any, of a stranger that's the same as love of someone with whom you have a personal relationship?
    To my way of thinking, we have plenty of relationships by default - spouse, parents, grandparents, siblings, cousins, children, co-workers, neighbours etc. but these relationships can be effectively loveless if people are totally caught up in their own lives. When I say love is disappearing, I mean materialism and selfishness are being promoted and time and financial pressures are increasing which makes it harder to be loving.

I can understand your perspective as well - relationships build love so devoting less time and energy to relationships means love is reduced.

It's profound sounding but yeah it's not clear what he means by "the wages of sin is sin." It's a thing that a guy having a midlife crisis says.

EDIT: On 2d thought, I think it means sin begets other sins.
    I found his statement weird when compared with Paul's statement "For the wages of sin is death." I wondered why he chose to use a similar sounding phrase but not the actual phrase or an unrelated phrase.

I'm not sure whether I agree that sin begets sin. I'd say that people with a sinful heart commit all sorts of sinful acts. I see love and sin as opposites so the less love there is, the more sin we will see particularly given how people are less legally and socially constrained as sinful behaviour is being normalized.
    Big change is coming

Type
    INTx
    Quote Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
    To my way of thinking, we have plenty of relationships by default - spouse, parents, grandparents, siblings, cousins, children, co-workers, neighbours etc. but these relationships can be effectively loveless if people are totally caught up in their own lives. When I say love is disappearing, I mean materialism and selfishness are being promoted and time and financial pressures are increasing which makes it harder to be loving.

I can understand your perspective as well - relationships build love so devoting less time and energy to relationships means love is reduced.

I found his statement weird when compared with Paul's statement "For the wages of sin is death." I wondered why he chose to use a similar sounding phrase but not the actual phrase or an unrelated phrase.

I'm not sure whether I agree that sin begets sin. I'd say that people with a sinful heart commit all sorts of sinful acts. I see love and sin as opposites so the less love there is, the more sin we will see particularly given how people are less legally and socially constrained as sinful behaviour is being normalized.
    I find professing love for strangers weird. I can see having a predisposition to caring for and liking people, to giving people you know nothing about some benefit of the doubt that they're good people. Most people are mostly good people. But, if somebody I just met tells me "I love you, man" it sounds to me at best unserious and at worse insincere and manipulative.

Compared to saying we should all love each other, Brooks has a more modest aspiration, that we should try to be more connected and involved with each other. I'm more comfortable with that.
    You hide behind caveats and modifiers. - Lurker

Type
    INTP
    I find professing love for strangers weird. I can see having a predisposition to caring for and liking people, to giving people you know nothing about some benefit of the doubt that they're good people. Most people are mostly good people. But, if somebody I just met tells me "I love you, man" it sounds to me at best unserious and at worse insincere and manipulative.

Compared to saying we should all love each other, Brooks has a more modest aspiration, that we should try to be more connected and involved with each other. I'm more comfortable with that.
    Fair enough. The TV drama "I love you" is unrealistic and the reality TV "I love you" is insincere. They should definitely not be the standard we try to meet.

Each person should do what works for them.

What Brooks was saying didn't really resonate with me but I can see that it resonates with you.

What are your thoughts on how to improve relationships and better connect with the people in our lives?
    Big change is coming

Type
    INTP

I think most of the video contains some dubious content and rarely does the source material get referenced, so you end up seeing the same stuff over and over again because that's all anyone knows of it.

I am convinced something to this effect is real, however. . . As to what extent can be authenticated or trusted as reference material, I don't know.
    Last edited by Catoptric; 07-13-2019 at 05:58 AM.

Type
    INTx
    Quote Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
    Each person should do what works for them.
    Agreed.

What Brooks was saying didn't really resonate with me but I can see that it resonates with you.
    I did understand and appreciate his message, but I'm an unlikely candidate to be swept up in his movement.

Coincidentally, in the days before seeing the video there was an occurrence that made me reflect on my limited number of relationships. A neighbor asked my wife if she could borrow our van to pickup furniture. I said no. I don't like to impose on others and I don't like others to unnecessarily impose on me. Borrowing my van seemed unnecessary when it's so easy to rent one. Plus this lady has a history of asking for favors, while not being willing to reciprocate. And I don't trust that when I lend out my things that they'll be returned in the same condition.

I asked myself, am I being overly materialistic? Maybe, but more likely realistic. I have lent neighbors other stuff. However, I’m particularly uneasy about trusting my vehicles with others.

Maybe I missed an opportunity to building a great relationship with that family. But frankly, I'm not that interested/motivated. That makes me theorize the obvious, that having a strong interest in adding relationships to your life is important to making that happen. And to increase the chances of those being good relations, it's important to be proactive about meeting people and choosing your relations. If you’re passive, never taking the initiative, and only make relationships with people who approach you, then you’re probably limiting yourself to a pool of potential relations that is overrepresented by moochers.

What are your thoughts on how to improve relationships and better connect with the people in our lives?
    That’s a big subject that I’ll mostly duck. There are a couple of related threads on the forum and entire books devoted to improving relationships and better connecting with the people. Simply echoing the above, to improve relationships and better connect with the people, it’s important to have the genuine desire to do so, to value the people, and to be proactive in the first place about choosing worthwhile relationships.
    You hide behind caveats and modifiers. - Lurker

Type
    INTP

I don't even watch this program but it's interesting analyzing it.

Last edited by Catoptric; 07-14-2019 at 09:10 PM.

Type
    INTP

The man who quit money gives TEDx talk

It reminds me of the Workaway website which I've been compelled to be involved with though have hesitated.

Last edited by Catoptric; Yesterday at 08:17 PM.

Type
    INTP
    The concept reminds me of a reading program that trains eye movement called EyeQ. I'm surprised more videos don't seem to exist, as it appears to me like this could easily occur over a video session.

Last edited by Catoptric; Today at 12:28 AM.