Page 370 of 370 FirstFirst ... 270320360368369370
Results 3,691 to 3,692 of 3692

Thread: What are you Watching?

Type
    INTP

My immediate impression is that the directing (whether entirely due to screenplay or cinematography?) is pretty bad. . . That or the Actors had the most basic introduction to their role, without any clue as to how to act.

It's stunted and contrived performances with very little real (genuine to the character or story development) emotion as to what is expected during each camera position.

What sets the individual characters apart barely register in their actions, and it's as if the movie was cropped down to about 1/2 of what the screen was intending to capture, and you are left guessing as to what happened before, or after the action is rolling (not that it isn't obvious, but it feels "closed off" from a narrative perspective when using visual communication, causing the audience to lose interest almost immediately because it gets boring or unengaging.)

It's evident a lot of the Directing is formulaic (cut clothing which is often a tacky aspect to visual communication but makes no sense from the standpoint; such as don't they have resources in a slave-camp prison colony to get new equipment--perhaps they don't--and why do the guards have absolutely no clue what they are doing? Why are wires hanging out of equipment like it was pieced together by an idiot with no wrench or tools to disassemble things, and wouldn't that be the first thing to consider when operating industrial equipment with a security tolerance application (and the fact that electrical wires are dangling out and yet weather covering is enclosing the buttons and essential parts of the equipment?

They could have at the least done better takes with the Actors, because at this point it seems it's not the Actors who are to blame if the Director was only aiming for contrived and forced visual narrative, without the ability to digest it from the audience's perspective; and some of this could be due to lacking some experience with film making, where they worked with what they had to finish it.

Comparing the "openness" of a world to movies like Bladerunner (which may be unfair because that movie is on a different "ballgame,") you see something new and different from usual "reality," the story explains itself with proper attention to the premise of a film using its own finite logical accuracy that becomes more acceptable over time (such as Deckard being a replicant) without having to explain to the audience what underlies the foundation of the movies' reality. At least with Bladerunner, you are introduced to the basic premise of everything without wondering where the F-CK the story is actually heading towards.

The set design isn't bad but falls short of the most basic premise (guy walks into an escape pod and without showing the door being shut, is alerted to low-oxygen; not long after this scene he has a mask hanging down from his face and is talking to a woman with what looks like a dive suit for the planet's atmosphere? Perhaps the oxygen is just the tanks reserves on the ship, which has been abandoned, but it doesn't indicate it was the tanks reserves) and is more illogical than need be. An example of this is at 22:55 the main actor (name?) is using a rifle reflex sight (not a magnified scope) with reticle and then the clip jumps to a magnified image of an object off into the distance using that rifle. . . That is not magnified (or it shows no zoom capability as it should if trying to engage the audience) and it doesn't seem as if the guy actually knows how to use the gun by how he is holding it. . . as to why he has his gun out in the first place seems the most absurd, because neither prior to this scene do you see any enemy engagement, and you don't see any reference from the characters that he is aiming his gun to check out what's off in the distance (such as important in the Actor performance to communicate in the visual narrative.)

Perhaps I was too distracted critiquing this that I paid little attention to the plot development (but I don't think I did. . . It's basically a prisoner of war that is freed by inept prison guards incapable of managing prisoners they knew were dangerous, who then magically transport themselves into a ship, and then crash land on an alien planet, *and I have to watch more of the film to find out*) I understand the personality of the directing style is intended to get as much of the "subject" into the image as possible without drifting off or allowing the scene to develop a pace for each action development, which doesn't give much lenience to creative story development or contribution from the talent on the set.

It should be pointed out the budget was very small (at $180,000) vs films like 'The Arrival' starring Charlie Sheen at a budget of $25 million (only making $14 million at the box office,) this film did pretty well and gave me more interest in the story development, though they still fall of shortcomings that were under their control.

I should note at this point I have only watched 25 minutes (and perhaps revise this if my opinion changes) and will continue to watch it and post accordingly, though from what I can tell it's a film that isn't divulging anything immediately and much of what I critiqued probably has to do with budget constraints for filming. . . It wasn't like they could just take their time and draw everything together using experienced talent (which isn't bad and is surprising at times given what they had access to,) though it really is down to things that could have been better with what they had access to.

It is available on Gog.com though I tend to find games like this to be better when viewed as a playthrough. . .

temple

Last edited by Catoptric; Yesterday at 07:47 AM.

Type
    INTP

It seems pretty evident this guy is a BS artist. . . Look at when he blinks his eyes and then looks away from the camera when telling his story. His non-verbal cues indicate lack of credibility, and I suspect Prince William's little chat in private was to tell him to shut the F up because he wasn't doing anyone any favors by carrying on. It's not that I don't consider the possibility of the Royal family having some intention of doing away with Diana (plenty of anecdotal stories seem to indicate that perhaps the family isn't so innocent, but trying to separate fact from fiction is fairly difficult to make in most of these because tabloids and genuine news seems a bit too keen to try and latch onto attention-seeking articles. Needless to say this guy has taken advantage of "news" well after the genuine story would have been prescient, and his delay in disclosing "evidence" such as alleged Diana notebooks disclosing complicity in a murder case--and without a hint of PTSD brought on by how close he alleges to be--is of a very doubtful nature. . . Out of all the time he claims to be close to the royal family it seems very unusual that he lacks any genuine credibility with all of the footage and photos that are streaming through this steaming. . . nevermind.

If your initial impressions were that he might be a bit fruity, you are not mistaken. He divorced his wife and married a dude, and now is apparently a travel blogger.

Thi one keeps getting removed?
    Last edited by Catoptric; Yesterday at 01:42 PM.