Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Me Enjoy Classical Music

Type
    INTP

Help Me Enjoy Classical Music

I like the idea of classical music, really I do but so much of the "classic" stuff seems so boring to me. It's like there's no edge or something. And usually there is no groove either. Now I'm sure that I only think this because I'm ignorant. I'm sure that there exists rhythmically interesting, discordant classical music that I could enjoy.

So, any suggestions?

Type
    INTP
    I don't know much about it, but listening to it live is much better than listening to a recording.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by 2hype View Post
    I don't know much about it, but listening to it live is much better than listening to a recording.
    Yeah I've always found this too, but my current circumstances makes this essentially impossible to do.

Type
    INTP
    Listening to classical music in this format helps me track the individual instruments in the piece - which is (sic) instrumental to my enjoyment of classical music.
    Once you know a certain piece you can start to pick out subtle nuances and start to appreciate the craft.

Type
    INTP
    Do you have good speakers or headphones? If you don't, everything will probably sound boring.
    I am not sure I understand what you want, but could you give us some idea of what you have tried and why you didn't like it?
    For me, the best way to appreciate classical music is to lay on a sofa, close my eyes, and relax. Classical music is much more subtle than popular music, so maybe you have to pay attention in the beginning.

Type
    xNxx
    Bartok music for strings percussion and Celeste
    Stravinsky rite of spring

Start there (just YouTube em) and we can radiate out in either direction.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by mondschein View Post
    Do you have good speakers or headphones? If you don't, everything will probably sound boring.
    I have decent headphones, they aren't brilliant and I'm looking to upgrade. If anyone fancies giving me recommendations of headphones that would also be appreciated although I dunno if I can really afford to do it right now.

I am not sure I understand what you want, but could you give us some idea of what you have tried and why you didn't like it?
    I never got Mozart, or Beethoven, for reasons that I'm not sure I can explain. It's like listening to Fall Out Boy or Greenday, but I want to be listening to The Dillinger Escape Plan, or Tool. Does that make any sense to you? I haven't really explained myself in words but it turns out my vocabulary is limited here.

Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    Bartok music for strings percussion and Celeste
    Stravinsky rite of spring

Start there (just YouTube em) and we can radiate out in either direction.
    Thanks! I've actually listened to both of these - way back - and they are definitely going the right way for me, just not quite far enough. I will listen to both again and get back to you on which I prefer.

Type
    xNxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirac View Post
    and they are definitely going the right way for me, just not quite far enough.
    wow, cool.

do you prefer solo pieces? orchestral? small ensemble?

don't worry about listening to those again if you don't want, I just wanted to feel it out.

Type
    xNxx
    penderecki threnody for the victims of hiroshima
    crumb black angels
    ligeti 2nd string quartet

my second set of ideas

Type
    INxP