Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tattoo

Merry Christmas
    Type
    INFP

Tattoo

If you were forced to get a tattoo (edit: forced, in case you wouldn't normally want one. sorry if that came across as judgmental.) what would you want it to be? Would you get one of those obnoxious colorful arm ones? Words? Something deeply symbolic? ...

I think it might be cool to get a tattoo of a map.

Type
    INTP
    I have a tattoo already (a lemniscate aka infinity symbol on one arm). If I were "forced" to get another, I'd just have it be what I one day mean to get tattooed on (in addition) anyhow: The Hieroglyphics for "Ptah". I've already researched it and sketched out how I'd want it to be.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I got a lizard around my belly button which I drew when I was 22 (after a pet I had which lived on my window). I like it, though I don't really think tattoos are generally a good idea, especially not visible ones.

I tried to escape before it was finished, but the guy wouldn't let me.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTP
    Just a small dot somewhere inconspicuous. Tattoos (sometimes) look good on other people. I'm not them. I have enough difficulty deciding if the stickers on my water bottle really define me as an individual.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I've bandied about the idea of getting a stylized chess knight tattooed somewhere that wouldn't be visible the way I normally dress in public (my chest, or upper arm, or something). It's a reference to a plot element in a novel I like a lot. The plot element involves a guy showing people an actual chess piece he's given as a secret code to identify himself in a convoluted cloak-and-dagger-stuff kind of story. I guess in my mind the tattoo would be like that for me--people who got the reference if I showed it to them would go on a list of people I had something interesting in common with. (There aren't that many people I've encountered who are fans of this book, but it has a certain cult following of very devoted fans, of whom I am one--it's sort of my acid test of choice for people whose artistic/cultural aesthetic sensibilities are similar to my own.)

I haven't done it so far because tattoos are exactly the sort of thing I don't have money for, and now that I've had the idea for a while I wonder if it falls into the category of tattoo "don'ts"--things like symbols of religions, names of romantic partners, and favorite bands. (I.e. things that might seem like lifelong devotions but which could end up as difficult to explain tattoos after you change your mind about them.) I once knew an ex-neo-Nazi who had this problem--he basically said not having awkward conversations for the rest of his life was going to cost a certain hefty amount of money, which he was in the process of trying to save up if he could.

It's not just that, though, as I'd want something that looked cool and was creatively drawn to have the right aesthetics to it. I have little to nothing in the way of the requisite art skills to do this on my own, but trying to explain what I wanted to someone else would be nigh-impossible and a recipe for arguments, frustration, and/or disappointment. I'd have to find a solution to this conundrum before this became a fully-formed and not terrible idea.

Plus I kind of enjoy telling people I'm on track to be the last person on earth without any tattoos or piercings, because I enjoy the irony of scenarios where this makes me a nonconformist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    intp
    I have a tattoo of an octogram on my back, and I've thought about adding some kind of embellishment or color to it. It'll probably be a while before I'd get a tattoo anywhere that'd be exposed in professional attire, but I'd probably get another geometric design or an animal. I spent about three years planning/putting off the one I have, so I'm unlikely to rush into anything.

Some of my colleagues have delightfully nerdy tattoos (I've seen so many inked call numbers), but I'm not sure I want to attract that kind of attention.

Type
    INTP
    I've kind of wanted a tattoo, but haven't ever been able to settle on an idea. Although I think a praying mantis would be cool.

Type
    intp
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/16/ma...mid=tw-nytimes

“Asterisks are cool,” Past Dan says. “I will tattoo an asterisk on my body, so that people will see I am an exception to something and I will remain cool forever.” The problem with this is that tattoos are symbols, and their meanings change with context. “Oh, right,” Present Dan says when he catches his asterisk in the mirror during yoga. “I used to be a jerk.”

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Tattoos are for insecure people.

*I have two.
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

Type
    INXj
    I occasionally put on henna tattoos whenever I have the opportunity to. There's a prevalent stigma about them in my side of the world. I like them though.

I'd like some spiral down my right arm. I'd also like some dragon on the right side of my hips.