Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to make time more enjoyable

Type
    INFP

How to make time more enjoyable

Do you have any good time management strategies, or do you fail at time management? If you have time-related stress*, how do you deal with it?

*broad category. Stress due to procrastination, fear of aging, fear of the actual concept of time, etc, I'm sure there's a million subcategories. If any of these things (have) bother(ed) you, have you developed any strategies for making them less bothersome?

I'm asking partly because I'm actually getting worse at time management and I'm searching for new strategies. I had a week to write something but I procrastinated and it's due at 12 tonight. I woke up at 4 am today, planning to get a start on it, but I ended up doing nothing for hours (too guilty to do anything relaxing, too stressed out to get the work done) and I finally started writing at 2 pm. I'm about halfway done now. I'm sick with stress and this is stupid. And now I'm procrastinating by making a thread about time management

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    We P's avoid making decisions as we like to keep our options open. This makes us great during emergencies but crap at normal life.

What we fail to realize is not making a decision is itself a decision. So that piece of junk mail you think you might need as so keep is a little more stress on your mind. Resulting in shut down.

Going out on a limb here:
    You do deserve to take time for yourself as your needs are important too.
    Last edited by LordLatch; 02-18-2014 at 05:19 AM.
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

Type
    INTP
    Don't put things off so long that it's impossible to meet the deadline or to the point where you're too stressed about the deadline to get quality work done. That's all I've got. I learned that the hard way. I used to get to the point where I was physically shaking because I was so stressed about a deadline, and I also missed some.

I've gotten to a point now where people at work think I'm actually good at time management. I don't know how I've managed to fool them. I suck at time management in my personal life. I guess the difference is I'm the one who sets the deadlines in my personal life so I'm not that worried about not meeting any deadlines I try to set for myself, and also no one pays me to do my personal stuff. That and I do actually get stuff done at work even though I do still waste time there. I don't waste as much time at work as I do at home.

Also, I put a lot of personal stuff off because I'm really overwhelmed by it. It's stuff that I put off so long that now I don't even want to deal with it anymore.

Oh, and I do have a time fear. I worry that I'll be on my deathbed and regret all the time that I've wasted doing pointless stuff. That thought doesn't seem to scare me enough to do all the stuff that I've been putting off. Maybe I just find the stuff I need to do more scary.

Type
    INTP
    I approach time management the same way I approach making patterns for sewing. You always need more material than it will look like you used when you're done. You need plenty of margin space to get the pieces put together--you can always trim the excess later, but if you don't leave that margin, your end result will be too tight.

I try to get as much done on the first day of a long project as I can. This isn't so I'll have lots of time to polish, it's so I'll have less to do at the last minute when I finally get my ass in gear. It also helps to flood myself with the right cocktail of stimulants on workdays and then start working. With the right mixture of sappho juice, I'm better able to enter a flow state and get things done. For example, chocolate, as strong as I can enjoy (between 70-95%) is an excellent mental and cardio-vascular stimulant for entering a flow state.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

I do okay with most stuff but I suck at big projects. If it's gonna take more than a day to get it done, I might never do it. One solution I've found is to make a task of breaking the project up into smaller tasks so that I can schedule those. Doing smaller tasks that I've scheduled is just a matter of hunkering down and doing it, but I've found that it feels better if I have a relatively tidy environment to work in first and put on some upbeat music. Especially when I'm just at home doing school stuff it feels like I'm setting the tone and now it's "work time" so I stay focused better.

You'd think the Project Management class I'm taking right now would help with this kind of stuff but really it's mostly just jargon and convoluted charts that I'm never going to use. There are some good principles in there but I'd be really surprised if I ever find a use for a project priority matrix or a work breakdown structure.

Type
    INFP
    One thing that sometimes works for me is setting a timer. I'll set it for 30 minutes and promise myself that I will work for that amount of time. Then I'll take a break and (hopefully) reset the timer after a while. The trick is to not procrastinate setting the timer.

Quote Originally Posted by latch View Post
    Going out on a limb here:
    You do deserve to take time for yourself as your needs are important too.
    This is related to one of my main time-related fears-- the awareness that the needs and lifespans of specific individuals (including myself) really aren't very important/influential/significant. Two equally damaging thoughts result from this fear: "I don't matter so why should I bother doing anything useful, I might as well do whatever I want and dedicate all my time to self-indulgence" and "I don't matter so I should try my best to help improve humanity as a whole, even if that requires the sacrifice of all my personal wants/needs." Obviously people are most functional when they find a middle ground between those extremes, and that's what I'm aiming for too (or at least plan to aim for, ha).

Quote Originally Posted by Light Leak View Post
    Oh, and I do have a time fear. I worry that I'll be on my deathbed and regret all the time that I've wasted doing pointless stuff. That thought doesn't seem to scare me enough to do all the stuff that I've been putting off. Maybe I just find the stuff I need to do more scary.
    yeah I know what you mean. I worry that I'll look back and think of all the things I could have done with my life if I hadn't spent so much time online, among other things. oh well, people need fun

Type
    INTP
    ^^^I have no fear of being on my deathbed and regretting all the fun I had. It's the beds in between where I run the risk of those sorts of regrets. On my deathbed the only time that will matter is the time I spent having fun.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Type
    INTP
    Yeah. What you need to do is make time less enjoyable because you're too entertained to get crap done. I do it myself. hehe

Type
    xxxx
    learn how to gain control over your own schedule. learn how to manage your time. i can't think of any way around this...

oh yeah, make your down time productive by actually allowing yourself to rest. then you'll be ready for the next surge of activity.

perfectionism = procrastination

(this is more of a note to self. i'm not qualified to give advice on this.)