Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Body Language

Type
    INTP

Body Language

Is something I do not quite understand. Clues I have tell me it says directly what a hundred pictures and 10,000 words need to have. In other words...easier? Living in to adult hood without bringing attention to it has me researching quite a bit. I'm finding quite a bit of articles by "pua's" talking about James Dean.

I've seen things said like:

Take up as much space as possible.
    -sit as horizontally as possible
    -lean up against weird things

Uh...?

I've already noticed things I do which turn people off. I apperently stand in a hostile state. I often place my feet sideways while talking to people for ease of exit.

Type
    INTP
    I started paying a little more attention to body language after watching this TED talk.

Amy Cuddy: Your body language shapes who you are

Analyzing the body language of others during meetings has become a pleasant way to deal with the tedium of being in a meeting.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I seem to recall finding a really helpful and thorough explanation of lots of different body language and behavours on the web a couple years back. Someone from here might have actually posted a link to it. If I find it again I'll post it here, because seems to me I fully intended to go back and read it.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    I seem to recall finding a really helpful and thorough explanation of lots of different body language and behavours on the web a couple years back. Someone from here might have actually posted a link to it. If I find it again I'll post it here, because seems to me I fully intended to go back and read it.
    I think I know what you're talking about. It was something with "synergology", maybe synergology.net, and it had tons of gestures with pictures of puppets doing them. I tried finding it yestersat but couldn't... It seems the synergology guys started selling their stuff instead. What a loss.

What does it mean if someone lifts their heel, sole showing, like standing on one leg with the other knee bent, but without crossing the legs?

I made eye contact with a girl and she made that pose. I think something was mutual but I'm not sure.

I think she was INTJ

.: PERSISTENCE IS ALL :. Pan_Sonic_000's Avatar
    Type
    ENxx
    I'd wager that consciously thinking about (or trying to deliberately manage) your body language would result in a vague sense of trying too hard and/or being self-conscious and awkward. Or, in layman's terms: being a poser. Literally.

That said, countenance can make a huge difference in dealing with others (though I don't know if that falls under body language). The times in my life where I looked perpetually angry or like a hard ass yielded the worst results, socially speaking. Being a tough guy is a good game for High School but it doesn't carry much weight beyond that. Smiling and genuinely giving a shit about others yielded the best.

Type
    Intp
    I'd wager that consciously thinking about (or trying to deliberately manage) your body language would result in a vague sense of trying too hard and/or being self-conscious and awkward. Or, in layman's terms: being a poser.
    Yur mom's self conscious and awkward, poser. That's my verbal body language replacement way of saying "hi, long time no muy bueno". Pan sonic is in the building. Welcomez to the Annex. Cool, in't it?

I'm jsut practicing at posting on the new digs. I still feel awkward and a bit junior high school. It will wear off though. errrr

.: PERSISTENCE IS ALL :. Pan_Sonic_000's Avatar
    Type
    ENxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermione View Post
    Yur mom's self conscious and awkward, poser. That's my verbal body language replacement way of saying "hi, long time no muy bueno". Pan sonic is in the building. Welcomez to the Annex. Cool, in't it?
    Word. Good to see you!

I returned to The Central a month ago but couldn't remember my password(s) and nobody was able to remedy the matter due to their absenteeism. So I lurked under a pseudonym. I can't ever see myself being a regular on any forum due to time constraints but I like to come back now and again just to read and bullshit.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Pan_Sonic_000 View Post
    I'd wager that consciously thinking about (or trying to deliberately manage) your body language would result in a vague sense of trying too hard and/or being self-conscious and awkward. Or, in layman's terms: being a poser. Literally.
    And by that logic practice makes poser not perfect.

So if you can't sit down at a piano and automatically tinkle the ivories you're fake.

If you train your body and eat right to get in shape it doesn't count. Because you weren't born with perfect genes right?

In any system practice and study of the system leads to competence and the science of body language and even more so human behavior is no different. It's all just a toy to play with.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyBard View Post
    I think I know what you're talking about. It was something with "synergology", maybe synergology.net, and it had tons of gestures with pictures of puppets doing them. I tried finding it yestersat but couldn't... It seems the synergology guys started selling their stuff instead. What a loss.

What does it mean if someone lifts their heel, sole showing, like standing on one leg with the other knee bent, but without crossing the legs?

I made eye contact with a girl and she made that pose. I think something was mutual but I'm not sure.

I think she was INTJ
    Was the knee of her straight leg locked? Did she kinda waggle her torso? Then she might have been getting comfy and hoping you'd come over and talk.

If her other knee wasn't locked, sounds like casually preparing to leave--or flee. Ironically, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It all depends on other factors. If she had a come hither look, then it would be invitation to chase. If her eyes were wide and trembling or cold and hostile, not so much.

Caveat: I've a lousy history with women. Really lousy. Personally horrifying really.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Type
    INTP
    You can check your posture in a rather passive manner without overcompensating. I'll usually make sure I'm not slouching or appearing too closed up and distracted, which is all you really need to worry about. That said, sometimes I pay too close attention to another person's body language and may read too much into it.