Thread: Calibrating a LED TV from a Blu-Ray disc.

Type
    INTP

Calibrating a LED TV from a Blu-Ray disc.

Has anybody here calibrated a LED TV from a Blu-Ray disc?

Was it worth? Was it complicated?

We have a new TV which is a middle of the road model. That is to say it wasn't cheap nor is it the latest and greatest.

The trouble is the picture quality, or potential, is so good that fiddling with the brightness, contrast, and colour just isn't going to deliver a worthwhile result.

There appear to be a few discs on the market which range from expert (and expensive) to the more realistic man-in-the-street end (the Disney disc).

I am not after photo quality. I just want to do something about the colour (too deep I am loosing detail), contrast (too much on factory settings), and finally brightness levels (which I will never get right without the other two being rightish).

Saying all that it isn't a bad picture as it is.
    Last edited by nonperson; 02-18-2014 at 08:25 PM.

Type
    INTP
    When we got a new TV I just searched the internet and found a site where people who had the same model had posted their brightness, contrast, and color settings. I tried out a few of the custom settings people had posted until I found one that I was happy with.

Type
    ENTP
    I recall doing something similar, but I didn't purchase a Blu-Ray...there was a certain channel on satellite TV which would broadcast a series of calibration images at a certain time every week (I think it was in the middle of the night, once a week). I DVR'd it, and then used it later to perform the calibration. I think it worked very well and cost almost nothing.

I don't believe the extra expense you'd incur to buy a Blu-Ray would justify the incremental gains you'd get over Light Leak's approach, or mine (assuming you could find this on your local cable/satellite provider).
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Type
    INFJ
    I haven't tried using a disc, but I did use this guide.

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-...ngs-explained/

Even without a disc, just going by the general recommendations for each setting area and fiddling around with different combinations for a while got the picture looking plenty good enough for me, certainly way better than any of the default settings. I also have a mid-range tv, a 39" Toshiba. It's pretty awesome for the price.