Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pet Peeves

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Excellent point. I mean, doesn't climbing an escalator defeat the purpose of the escalator?
    The purpose of the escalator is to get you along faster, not to enable your laziness. If you want to stand still go do it at home where you're not in the way of people with places to be.

Type
    INXX
    I proudly abuse my library privileges.
    You would be horrified if I told you the things I've done to my library privileges. Handling the truth is something you cannot do.
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    The purpose of the escalator is to get you along faster, not to enable your laziness. If you want to stand still go do it at home where you're not in the way of people with places to be.
    You are mistaken. An escalator is just another form of lift to enable laziness. Like the internal combustion engine. I don't generally block people, but on escalators, watching someone fuming below me is gravy. Really, it's entertaining how much a person's face can change colour over not really losing any time at all.

Edit: Someone else's hurry is not my problem. They should have planned better. If their hurry were actually important, they'd have flashing light, a siren, and I'd be legally obligated to cede right of way. Don't have those? You can wait your turn.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INXX
    Both of you are mistaken. Escalators are works of art meant be viewed not trampled. Jerks.
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

Type
    INTP
    You are mistaken. An escalator is just another form of lift to enable laziness. Like the internal combustion engine. I don't generally block people, but on escalators, watching someone fuming below me is gravy. Really, it's entertaining how much a person's face can change colour over not really losing any time at all.
    Do you also enjoy driving your car at walking speed to irritate people stuck behind you?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Depends on the flow of traffic. I drive safely. If people feel stuck and get irritated, that's their foolishness, not mine.

The common use of escalators is to stand on the steps. In many places, if you look, you'll even see specific signage saying not to climb the escalator, but to stand, and wait--and keep your hands on the rail belts while you're at it.

Being in a hurry kills. The only time you should be in a hurry is if someone's life is on the line and not being in a hurry will result in their death--so unless you're transporting an antidote, live organs, or a dying patient, you shouldn't be in a hurry. It's not worth anyone's life--and you just aren't that important that you can't wait your turn.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

Type
    INTP
    Depends on the flow of traffic. I drive safely. If people feel stuck and get irritated, that's their foolishness, not mine.

The common use of escalators is to stand on the steps. In many places, if you look, you'll even see specific signage saying not to climb the escalator, but to stand, and wait--and keep your hands on the rail belts while you're at it.

Being in a hurry kills. The only time you should be in a hurry is if someone's life is on the line and not being in a hurry will result in their death--so unless you're transporting an antidote, live organs, or a dying patient, you shouldn't be in a hurry. It's not worth anyone's life--and you just aren't that important that you can't wait your turn.
    The only signs I've seen on escalators are ones like this
    much like the ones on highways reminding slow people to stay out of the passing lane. And I don't have a problem with people who stand to the right, but it's rude to absent-mindedly and unnecessarily block a thoroughfare intended for public use. I guess I should have clarified "people who block escalators".

Also, being in a hurry doesn't kill. It's not the same thing as being careless or haphazard. It's not up to you to tell me not to move quickly. Live the way you want to live and stop trying to prevent others from doing the same because you think you know better.

Type
    XNXP
    I try to stay to the right, but I'm a big guy. * shrug*
    cute as a bug

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    when people show up early to things. what a waste of time...
    Cut out all these exclamation points. An exclamation point is like laughing at your own joke.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    The only signs I've seen on escalators are ones like this
    much like the ones on highways reminding slow people to stay out of the passing lane. And I don't have a problem with people who stand to the right, but it's rude to absent-mindedly and unnecessarily block a thoroughfare intended for public use. I guess I should have clarified "people who block escalators".

Also, being in a hurry doesn't kill. It's not the same thing as being careless or haphazard. It's not up to you to tell me not to move quickly. Live the way you want to live and stop trying to prevent others from doing the same because you think you know better.
    Never seen a sign like that--but I'd acknowledge it if I did. I don't block people to make a point, I just don't get out of their way because they're "In a hurry"--and most of the times I've nearly been killed it was because some idjit was in a hurry. It wasn't because I was deliberately blocking them, but because their hurry lead directly to their errors in judgement, which in turn had consequences for me. I can't count the number of traffic accidents that have resulted from a hurry. I'm not saying they all did, but I am saying almost all the ones I've witnessed were--and I've seen many.

If I happen to be in someone's way, but I have right of way and am doing what I need to be doing, they can wait.

To put it another way: I don't let other people rush me.