Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Pet Peeves

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Blorg View Post
    *expats* who greet each other with "dobrư den" and use other little czech phrases when talking to each other. Idk why it bothers me so much, just seems really sleezy somehow

But it's the same kind of person who goes out of their way to let everyone know they're an *expat*
    OMG, it's like they're actually integrating themselves into the culture of the country they've chosen to live in, how dare they

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    OMG, it's like they're actually integrating themselves into the culture of the country they've chosen to live in, how dare they
    maybe if they were actually speaking Czech to Czech people, or trying to learn Czech beyond "dobrư den" or "ciao ciao," I'd see your point

I'm speaking about the kind of person who uses little Czech phrases as a way to signal to other foreigners that they share foreignness - like "isn't it funny that we know how to say hello in this weird language." It's not actually about integration - in fact it signals the opposite.

Type
    INTx
    It has already been touched on by the earlier escalator discussion, but a pet peeve is pedestrians who impede the flow of traffic by being slow or stopping and who don't attempt to minimize obstructing other people by at least getting over to the right (or left, whatever the customary position for the slowpokes is in the locality). Oblivious tourists are common offenders.

You hide behind caveats and modifiers. - Lurker

Type
    INtP
    From an old song: "And I miss you, like the deserts miss the rain" ~ Missing Everything But The Girl

So you can miss something you haven't experienced?*

*I know it can rain in a desert, for the nitpicky.