Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: State the Designation of Your Favorite Band, If You Can.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner

State the Designation of Your Favorite Band, If You Can.

I realize it's hard to choose as I would guess intp's sample music from every genre.

But,
    If some slammed a hammer down on your hand that caused you to spontaneously blurt your favorite band name, what would erupt from your voca at high velocity with spittle?

For me, the choice is clear and I don't need a hammer to coax from me the Chuck Norris of rock.

Clutch.

"You know Clutch has a song that.." is something I say often. It's clear that Neil Fallon who pens the lyrics and sings them is well read. Covering topics most people don't, and attempting to always tell a story rather than whining about their emotions. Witty turns of phrase that may at first glance not appear to make sense and require you to look some stuff up. Changing style every album from very hard rock to funk rock. All the members are very good in their roles especially drummer Jean Paul Gaster with his multirythmic ass kickery. Many times I've thought the band was formed just for me..

Song subjects include:
    the singularity, the yeti, food, pirates, mythology, religion, nuclear war, literary classics, American history, reptilian, conspiracy, a dragonfly, genius nerds, apocalypse, and they have two love songs.

Of course, I realize their name ends in an affricate making spittle ejection impossible, but that's what forgiveness is for!
    Last edited by ~h4ct6al~; 12-23-2013 at 10:11 PM.

Sysop
    Type
    INTP
    With spittle? Hm. Not sure if/how Huntress would yield that, but if screamed, the yelped-out vowel sounds (particularly the first one) could unleash some pretty bad breath, had I any at the moment.

DOA Space Invaders Champion Neville's Avatar
    Type
    infj
    This is difficult. For the longest time and even now I would have said Rancid but.. I just watched some of their music videos on the net and I really wish I hadn't. It tainted the memory I had of how completely awesome they were. Now they're just fat, old, saggy and they sound terrible. Maybe they always did. I don't know.

If someone hit my hand with a hammer asking for my favorite band I'd still probably say Rancid but it wouldn't be the truth. There just isn't an answer to the question right now.

Type
    INTP
    Gentle Giant.

There's no contest. I'm sorry if I'm a music snob.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville View Post
    This is difficult. For the longest time and even now I would have said Rancid but.. I just watched some of their music videos on the net and I really wish I hadn't. It tainted the memory I had of how completely awesome they were.
    I know that feel. I remember back to my 9th grade counterpart, thinking albums like And out come the wolves and Life Won't Wait were the bees-knees, especially songs like Black Lung, Tenderloin, and Life Won't Wait. Now I just realize that Tim Armstrong's vocals sound like the barely coherent ramblings of some S.L.C Punk reject.

As far as my favorite band goes...I'd be hard to name one, but immediately upon reading this thread my first thought veered towards The Pixies, so I'll go with that.

Type
    INTP
    I guess I would go with Depeche Mode. It's been decades since I was an avid listener of their music, and mostly listen to instrumental music in recent years - but I can't separate the forging of my personality during teenage years from the music that accompanied the conscious and unfliching introspection of those years.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Bad Religion.

Sometimes I'm inclined to say I subjectively enjoy another band's music more, but this is quantifiable--I am entirely convinced that if you added up the amount of time and money I've devoted in the aggregate to the act of listening to the music of each artist I've ever listened to, it would just be no contest that I've had a pronounced revealed preference for Bad Religion's music over anyone else's over the entirety of my life since I first heard them.

Nerd rock. But not cheesy, insubstantial, gimmicky nerd rock a la They Might Be Giants--they're a punk band full of ridiculously smart people who perform rock songs where a guy uses numerous specific references to what is obviously an impressive command of multiple academic subjects to articulate a philosophical perspective on human existence, the meaning and future thereof, how he has arrived at this perspective, and the relative merits or lack thereof of multiple alternate philosophical perspectives that differ from his own.

All delivered in little 3-minute rapid-fire fusillades of densely compacted verbiage, not some elaborate production piece of conceptual wankery. This is a guy (and his band) with something complex to say who wants to get straight to the point.

Addictive shit. Especially when you're a disgruntled 16-year-old of above average intelligence living in a small, religious, conservative, infuriatingly boring town on the ass end of nowhere, but it retains quite a bit of its appeal well beyond that context. Sometimes I desperately want to have "outgrown" this type of music, which the uninitiated would easily dismiss as the product of someone's teenage angst or someone's pandering to such, but all I have to do is listen to it again to remember that it's actually far more sophisticated and "mature" in many aspects of its form and content than a very large percentage of what passes for "mature" or "sophisticated" music in the eyes of most such people.

Then the feeling of affirmation attached to "no, it's not just me, I'm not crazy, there are other people who think about this shit" when you're fist-pumping and singing along at a live show? Oh my fucking God.

"Hey, I am just an atom in an ectoplasmic sea, without direction or a reason to exist. But the anechoic nebula rotating in my brain keeps persuading me contritely to persist."

Hey Brother Christian with your high and mighty errand,
    Your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.
    Hey Sister Bleeding Heart with all of your compassion,
    Your labors soothe the hurt but can't assuage temptation.
    Hey man of science with your perfect rules of measure,
    Can you improve this place with the data that you gather?
    Hey Mother Mercy can your loins bear fruit forever?
    Is your fecundity a trammel or a treasure?
    And I want to conquer the world,
    Give all the idiots a brand new religion,
    Put an end to poverty, uncleanliness and toil,
    Promote equality in all my decisions
    With a quick wink of the eye
    And a "God you must be joking!"
    Hey Mr. Diplomat with your worldly aspirations,
    Did you see your children cry when you left them at the station?
    Hey moral soldier you've got righteous proclamation,
    And precious tomes to fuel your pulpy conflagrations.
    And I want to conquer the world,
    Give all the idiots a brand new religion,
    Put an end to poverty, uncleanliness and toil,
    Promote equality in all of my decisions
    I want to conquer the world,
    Expose the culprits and feed them to the children,
    I'll do away with air pollution and then I'll save the whales,
    We'll have peace on earth and global communion.
    I want to conquer the world!
    Last edited by Roger Mexico; 12-23-2013 at 04:20 AM.

Type
    INTP
    Phish

Haters gonna hate

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mexico View Post
    Bad Religion.
    What are your thoughts on their 2013 Christmas album? Is it sincere or ironic? Sell-out or genuine artistry? Or simply a massive troll attempt?

Type
    INTP
    For me, John Mayer...probably because his work spans enough genres to stay interesting to me. He's got the whole singer-songwriter thing, the pop thing, the folk thing, and the blues thing...and he writes fantastic lyrics.

It's odd to say that he's my artist though, since I spent many years as an avid punk rocker, then as an avid classic rocker, then as an avid prog-metal nut. I think I pretty much exhausted my capacity to appreciate metal and punk due to over-listening though. New punk and/or metal songs have the same appeal to me now as whatever cookie-cutter American Idol winners are putting out these days...it all sounds like a rehash of the last song.