Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slacker( psychological or life choice)?

Type
    INTP

Slacker( psychological or life choice)?

I have never - ever understood the notion of passion for work.
    But i completely relate to the notion of passion of not working or better of not having to work.
    I dont think i can ever stay motivated enough to carry on working on the same things, with the same people for a long period of time.
    So i end up in a low -demanding job slacking off almost all the time and securing a decent income.
    Sometimes i wonder though if this kind of attitude has psychological roots or is just a life choice.
    I mean i dont know whether given the right ciscumstances - the right job/envirnoment-i could really give a damn about work.
    What is your experience on that?

P.S i dreamed of becoming many things: traveller, exlorer, etc but i lost motivation of dreaming of becoming anything anymore.May be too many years of slacking can do that to you.

Type
    INTP
    I was born this way.

Experience reinforced the issue. Hard work doesn't always pay off. I'm not unwilling mind you, I'm no stranger to it. There just has to be a definite desirable payoff.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

DOA Space Invaders Champion Neville's Avatar
    Type
    infj
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    I was born this way.

Experience reinforced the issue. Hard work doesn't always pay off. I'm not unwilling mind you, I'm no stranger to it. There just has to be a definite desirable payoff.

Type
    iNtP
    i find it very hard to move my focus from my imagination to reality, and as a result, it requires a lot of mental energy for me to stick at anything for to long, or to actually start anything. my motto for getting anything done is 5% work, 95% motivation, and when i do decide do something, generally i can do it very well. i don't know why i have developed this habit of imagining or day dreaming. one theory of mine is a lifetime of things not turning out the why i expected, so to avoid disappointment perhaps i stopped doing things. something which has its roots in expectations i presume. i have tho, in the last few years of my life, tried to make a habit of not expecting anything (but i keep goals mind you, something i was not able to for a big part of my life). i do find it easy to stop thinking tho, something which i have found is quite different to imagining, so i am trying to apply the same techniques i developed to stop thinking to be able to stop myself imagining. it is working, however requires constant discipline.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by mhc View Post
    i find it very hard to move my focus from my imagination to reality, and as a result, it requires a lot of mental energy for me to stick at anything for to long, or to actually start anything. my motto for getting anything done is 5% work, 95% motivation, and when i do decide do something, generally i can do it very well. i don't know why i have developed this habit of imagining or day dreaming. one theory of mine is a lifetime of things not turning out the why i expected, so to avoid disappointment perhaps i stopped doing things. something which has its roots in expectations i presume. i have tho, in the last few years of my life, tried to make a habit of not expecting anything (but i keep goals mind you, something i was not able to for a big part of my life).

This is weird.
    I have this feeling that you just described:..a lifetime of things not turning out the way i expected, so to avoid dissappointment perhaps i stopped doing things."
    But i cannot remember not one specific dissapointioment i had.. but still i have exactly this feeling that you described.
    weird
    too much realism turns into cynicism which turns into slacking.
    or may be too much imagination makes you hate reality and then you slack

Type
    iNtP
    Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    This is weird.
    I have this feeling that you just described:..a lifetime of things not turning out the way i expected, so to avoid dissappointment perhaps i stopped doing things."
    But i cannot remember not one specific dissapointioment i had.. but still i have exactly this feeling that you described.
    weird
    too much realism turns into cynicism which turns into slacking.
    or may be too much imagination makes you hate reality and then you slack
    i think intps do not dwell on such things as disappointment for very long, we kind of accept what is and move on, so i can relate to not feeling disappointment about anything. i think other people looking at us can mistake our acceptance as non understanding, but imo, its just that we are very understanding. above all, intp's understand life, or being alive

"or may be too much imagination makes you hate reality and then you slack" just depends how you look at, as for some advice, i would say, try not to look at yourself as slacking, i went there once, but it takes all things to make the world go around, just because others can't harness your strengths does not make you a slacker. but it means effort on your/our part to help make others understand our strengths, or help make the world go round. people that cannot view the world abstractly/dissociatively find it hard to live independent of other peoples ideas
    Last edited by mhc; 02-19-2014 at 09:26 AM.

Type
    INTP
    I dont think i can ever stay motivated enough to carry on working on the same things, with the same people for a long period of time.
    I've worked at the same job for 9 years. I don't have any passion for my work. The only thing that motivates me to do the work is the fact that I get paid and the benefits. The actual work is meaningless to me. 9 years at a place seems like too long, but I can't seem get motivated to find another job so I just kind of go with what I have.

Type
    INTP
    i have also stayed for many years in the same job, but not because i was motivated to do it but because i was not motivated to do anything work-related at all.So again it was the easy way out.Why bother find another job?

Type
    iNtP
    i have also stayed for many years in the same job, but not because i was motivated to do it but because i was not motivated to do anything work-related at all.So again it was the easy way out.Why bother find another job?
    same here. near 15 years for me tho.

Type
    INFP
    I have never - ever understood the notion of passion for work.
    But i completely relate to the notion of passion of not working or better of not having to work.
    So i end up in a low -demanding job slacking off almost all the time and securing a decent income.
    Sometimes i wonder though if this kind of attitude has psychological roots or is just a life choice.
    I mean i dont know whether given the right ciscumstances - the right job/envirnoment-i could really give a damn about work.
    What is your experience on that?

P.S i dreamed of becoming many things: traveller, exlorer, etc but i lost motivation of dreaming of becoming anything anymore.May be too many years of slacking can do that to you.
    Sometimes working is more relaxing than "relaxing," I guess for the same reason that hamsters like their wheels. I've gone through phases of slacking and being productive and I think the two states produce roughly equal amounts of stress, in general.

I can't imagine giving a damn about work (I might appreciate my job's effects/goals, on a broad scale-- just not the actual working aspect). But I've often managed to be productive anyway.