Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you log your workouts?

Type
    INTP

Do you log your workouts?

This is something I used to do religiously when I was in highschool but really haven't done at all in years. Now it seems sites like mapmyrun.com make it a bit easier despite the website itself being a bit on the clunky side. Who knew my bike commute is a little over 9 miles? Super.

For the past few years I've really just kept kind of a mental log of what I've been up to lately, occassionally scribbling a note about how much I'm lifting or how many pullups I can do, but never anything fancy. Since a lot of my activity is mileage based it seems like it might be interesting to keep track of, but really whats the point? I don't see how it would affect my activity level. Maybe having a log of how lazy I am will encourage me to be more active, but I don't know.

For those of you that do keep track of this sort of thing, why do you do it? Does it influence the way you exercise? Is the mapmyrun thing just a means for people to humblebrag through the facebook feeds?

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP
    fitocracy.com

Type
    xNxx
    Quote Originally Posted by giegs View Post
    For those of you that do keep track of this sort of thing, why do you do it? Does it influence the way you exercise? Is the mapmyrun thing just a means for people to humblebrag through the facebook feeds?
    I do it to make sure I'm progressing. I'm not in any kind of maintenance mode, I have had to be very serious about upping the intensity methodically in order to change my health.

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    No. I probably should if I wanted to get serious about it but meh.

That mapmyrun site is pretty cool, turns out my estimated 2 mile jog is exactly 2.02 miles not including the end sprint(.1 mile).

Type
    intp
    I just bought a Garmin Edge 800 gps for my bike. It'll arrive in the mail soon. I'm going to log my rides with strava or whatever seems good. I like being able to attach some numbers to things, but I can't be bothered organising that myself (e.g. writing down everything I eat? that's never going to happen). So the technology will help. I think it will be cool to be able to view maps of where I went and load more challenging routes into the gps to try. I also like that it can monitor heart rate; I think that will be fun.

(sort of similar to logging: Garmin has a camera called a Garmin Virb which is like a GoPro but with added GPS functionality, ANT+ input, and can be connected to other garmin products. So you can record a video of your ride and have the statistics (speed, cadence, heart rate, split screen with satellite position, whatever...) overlaid on top. I went for a ride on the weekend that included a fairly terrifying descent and I reckon it would have been great to be able to rewatch that and analyse how I handled it going through some of those hairpin turns after 20% declines)

Type
    INTP
    Not online. My workouts are all Excel files. I print out blanks - each page = several days up to a week depending on the workout - and fill them in with weights, reps, cardio (when/how long), etc., during the workout. I also note any problems or issues or accomplishments that come up.

I generally hang on to the completed forms for several months after I fill them out but they just sit in a file folder. I mainly use it to track my weight training. I think it's good to track issues, too.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

DOA Space Invaders Champion Neville's Avatar
    Type
    Taur
    I used to, but the added work never proved to by useful. I only work out for aesthetics I couldn't careless if I'm actually getting stronger.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    Not online. My workouts are all Excel files. I print out blanks - each page = several days up to a week depending on the workout - and fill them in with weights, reps, cardio (when/how long), etc., during the workout. I also note any problems or issues or accomplishments that come up.

I generally hang on to the completed forms for several months after I fill them out but they just sit in a file folder. I mainly use it to track my weight training. I think it's good to track issues, too.
    And you're not a J? I bet you're on the border. Like 55%
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by latch View Post
    And you're not a J? I bet you're on the border. Like 55%
    P is my strongest preference, it's almost like a handicap. I'm just one of those gym geeks you see walking around with a notebook and a pen (and a water bottle and a towel). Remember I had my own personal training business for quite a few years when I was younger. It's force of habit. I couldn't tell my clients to track their workouts if I didn't track my own. People are VERY NOSY when you're a personal trainer. They want to know exactly what you do for your own workouts - whether or not it's appropriate for them. They walk up to you in the grocery store and pick over your shopping cart to see what food you buy, they come over in a restaurant to see what you're eating. Most trainers won't work out where they work because you can't get through your own workout.
    Last edited by skip; 02-20-2014 at 05:48 AM.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    P is my strongest preference, it's almost like a handicap.
    Great! Now I've been wrong THREE times!
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces