Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crop: a theory of convergence of pure America!

Type
    INTP

Crop: a theory of convergence of pure America!

Ok, nerdy title. But has anyone noticed that classic rock, country, christian, and Mumford & Sons type music are sounding similar?

What do I mean? Country has these electric guitar riffs that sound very similar to classic rock, christian and Mumford & Sons music always had the strings, Michael W Smith sounding vocalists, and woah oh woah oh singing things in the back ground. Country has this too now, just with a slight accent. And every one of these genres HAS to have a bridge in the song after 2 repeats of the chorus. And they all use cheesy twists on cliches. Country especially.

This is awful as I hate all these genre's and the airwaves are penetrated by them. CO Springs has 5 Christian radio stations! And they are the worst music ever, never mind that they all sound like brainwashed drones of Jesus.

Oh, and I'm naming this new genre convergence crop. A fitting name for the genre's midwestern origin.
    Last edited by Phil P; 02-25-2014 at 12:46 AM.
    "I'm so cool" - Carl Sagan

Type
    ENTP
    So - your point is that most of this music is formulaic and mass produced? I agree.

I'd offer to have a cookie with you, but I can't have carbs.
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Polemarch View Post
    So - your point is that most of this music is formulaic and mass produced? I agree.

I'd offer to have a cookie with you, but I can't have carbs.
    I think it's because people like to hear what they're familiar with and then you have all these nostalgic people who listened to classic rock cause it was cool in high school who now own a truck and like country, so they want the two mixed.

Type
    INTP
    Eh, this isn't really anything new.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    white people music.

Type
    INTP
    Actually, I used to really like Sanford and Son.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Country/rock hybridization as a subgenre goes back at least as far as the 1970's, which is when most of what's now called 'Classic Rock' was just contemporary rock music.

You've heard of Alabama and/or Creedence Clearwater Revival, I presume.

Rock as an overall genre is kind of struggling these days to come up with actually innovative new variants, so there's more interest in finding other genres to hybridize it with instead. Blues and country were rock and roll's closest ancestors to begin with, so it's not at all surprising that people would rediscover an interest in blues-rock or country-rock as hybrid genres.

Of course most of it is formulaic and uninspired. That's always going to happen with anything eventually.

I find Mumford and Sons annoying, too, but in my case it's because their sound is such a blatant and severely inferior knock-off of Flogging Molly, whom I happen to like.

(And yes, before anyone says something, American country and especially related genres like bluegrass were always heavily influenced by Irish folk music.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INTP
    Which is why metal rules

Why? Oddly enough, because most of the innovators are from beyond the pop-ridden shithole music scene of America.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
    And they all use cheesy twists on cliches. Country especially.

This is awful as I hate all these genre's and the airwaves are penetrated by them. CO Springs has 5 Christian radio stations! And they are the worst music ever, never mind that they all sound like brainwashed drones of Jesus.
    Yeah, I've definitely noticed. I'm a Christian and can't stand Christian rock. Sadly, I find it soulless and it migrating further and further towards country music of which I'm not a fan.

The bulk of the country and Christian music scene is coming out of Nashville. It's actually a very collaborative town in terms of song writing. What you have is a giant pool of people trying to perfect the art of emulation. Speaking now of just churches/Christian music, they are extremely slow to change. They all say they want to but everyone gets cold feet. It's based in tradition, church politics and false identity. In that I mean, "you aren't a Christian if you're not like me."

My introduction to U2 was through my church youth group. There wasn't a Christian rock station and they certainly weren't known but there was a list of bands one could listen to that I got that featured either Christian oriented music or groups whose members were Christian. This was to counter the whole satanism/backward masking that was going on. Today, despite have plenty of Christian themes in songs, U2 can't get played on Christian radio. They sing about doubt. They have left leaning tendencies. They've done "secular albums." None of that mind you is a sin but there's a prevailing notion or how can I put this, circular arguments spread throughout vast portion of "American Christianity" has convinced people that they are right. They might not be doing wrong, per se, but it's a huge difference between being right because that eliminates someone who's different from them from being "right" as well.

I went to go visit a friend's church not too long ago. Had liked the work that they do. Liked the message. But this time going back, the praise team sounded just like the crap I hear on Christian radio. I was soooo bummed. I wanted to get out of there.

Now, if I want to hear any affirming praise music, it's gonna be R&B stations that play gospel on Sundays or other gospel acts. I like hearing Mary Mary, seen them live their amazing, but there hasn't been the progression in Christian rap as there has been in other hip hop artists. If you consider the number of "generations" from NWA to Kendrick Lamar happened in 25 years to what that's been from big band & jazz to infuse to get to rock to get to Arcade Fire, what is that, 80+ years? Now look at Christian rock. Petra and Phil Keggy and Stryper begat...nobody.

It's not a knock on them, it's just the nature of the genre. I suppose we can get into more why that didn't happen another time but because of it, you don't have the splits like you did with rock & roll to new wave, hair metal, alternative, thrash, symphonic, etc. Believe me, nobody wants to kick Christian art in the butt to get going more than I do. I know not everyone who's a Christian acts, likes, thinks the same way but enough people do to move the needle.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan26 View Post
    Yeah, I've definitely noticed. I'm a Christian and can't stand Christian rock. Sadly, I find it soulless and it migrating further and further towards country music of which I'm not a fan.

The bulk of the country and Christian music scene is coming out of Nashville. It's actually a very collaborative town in terms of song writing. What you have is a giant pool of people trying to perfect the art of emulation. Speaking now of just churches/Christian music, they are extremely slow to change. They all say they want to but everyone gets cold feet. It's based in tradition, church politics and false identity. In that I mean, "you aren't a Christian if you're not like me."

My introduction to U2 was through my church youth group. There wasn't a Christian rock station and they certainly weren't known but there was a list of bands one could listen to that I got that featured either Christian oriented music or groups whose members were Christian. This was to counter the whole satanism/backward masking that was going on. Today, despite have plenty of Christian themes in songs, U2 can't get played on Christian radio. They sing about doubt. They have left leaning tendencies. They've done "secular albums." None of that mind you is a sin but there's a prevailing notion or how can I put this, circular arguments spread throughout vast portion of "American Christianity" has convinced people that they are right. They might not be doing wrong, per se, but it's a huge difference between being right because that eliminates someone who's different from them from being "right" as well.

I went to go visit a friend's church not too long ago. Had liked the work that they do. Liked the message. But this time going back, the praise team sounded just like the crap I hear on Christian radio. I was soooo bummed. I wanted to get out of there.

Now, if I want to hear any affirming praise music, it's gonna be R&B stations that play gospel on Sundays or other gospel acts. I like hearing Mary Mary, seen them live their amazing, but there hasn't been the progression in Christian rap as there has been in other hip hop artists. If you consider the number of "generations" from NWA to Kendrick Lamar happened in 25 years to what that's been from big band & jazz to infuse to get to rock to get to Arcade Fire, what is that, 80+ years? Now look at Christian rock. Petra and Phil Keggy and Stryper begat...nobody.

It's not a knock on them, it's just the nature of the genre. I suppose we can get into more why that didn't happen another time but because of it, you don't have the splits like you did with rock & roll to new wave, hair metal, alternative, thrash, symphonic, etc. Believe me, nobody wants to kick Christian art in the butt to get going more than I do. I know not everyone who's a Christian acts, likes, thinks the same way but enough people do to move the needle.
    Progressivism and mainstream Christianity don't mix well. Progressivism manifests itself as both new twists in message/lyrics and in new sounds. So, as you can imagine, Christian music does not have 7/16 time signatures or any guitar distortion affect like a voice box or a kill switch as well as any lyrics which are not traditionally themed. I'd say many evangelical Christians are somewhat reactionary, and this would manifest in the excessive amount of new renditions of classic/approved songs.

Country is diverging though IMO. We got rough/redneck/MANLY country emphasizing American machismo and we encouraging/suburban/soccermom country idealizing the reactionary American dream. The latter is what is converging with Christian music.