Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What were you like from ages 0 to 8?

Type
    INTP

What were you like from ages 0 to 8?

What were you like when you were a little tyke? Did you have the same general personality type? How have you changed since then?

At age 0 I was born with mild cerebral palsy. I don't know if this has effected my personality or not, but psychically, my left side isn't as coordinated.
    But up till second grade, I always played by myself. I never played with the other kids at recess. I was extreme introvert to other class mates, but I responded to teachers and always participated in class. Now I'm much more extroverted, and while I'm fine being alone, I also like being around people.

Also I was obsessed with videogames. Most people get into them when they are older, but I really liked them at that age and have since grown out of it some, although I still play some, about 10 hours a week. But I never watched TV, due to a fundamentalist christain upbringing, so that was my only screen time.

And I was very concrete. I don't know if that is S or J, but I could not think outside the box. Probably more J. I was stuck in a rut and would do things over and over again. Now I'm the opposite and I hate repetition and I always try to think outside the box.

I always have had a vivid sense of picturing things in my head, from that time till now.

As a baby, I would never move around the house or get in trouble really. I didn't cry much. I just always kind of sat put and was in my own world.

I didn't know if this was a psychology thread or an MBTI thread, but I put it here.
    "I'm so cool" - Carl Sagan

Type
    INTP
    I was then very much like as I am now ... however others projected and apperceived.

I was 9+ lbs at birth ... with most of that undoubtedly head.
    My language skills were developed enough by age 4 that my mother sent me to fetch things from an aunt who lived up the hill from us.
    I started climbing trees at age 3; by the time I was 8 or 9 I had perhaps 7 near-level platforms constructed in one of the pine trees located on my maternal grandparents front yard on their dairy farm.

Upon entering kindergarten at age 4 I was painfully shy, very much suffering from social anxiety.
    My love of comic books -- now called graphics novels -- starting before kindergarten had matured by age 8 and proved a `gateway drug' to ink-on-paper books containing progressively less pictorial content and more text in the years following the 8-year cut off of your question.

Oh, my poor spelling abilities were evident by age 8; in 5th grade I was still working out of a 3rd grade spelling book.
    I was left handed upon entry into kindergarten; I still have a left sighting eye.

Merry Christmas
    Type
    INFP
    embarrassingly small, weak, toothless and inarticulate.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    My beard was a little thinner.

Spoiler: Just like the chart indicates
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

Type
    INTP
    I was homeschooled, and as a result was very isolated. I kept pretty much to myself, and had a vivid imagination. I was constantly in various fantasy worlds of my own making, using things like woodchips as props for battleships, or just visualizing everything. Once I started reading, I got really into various sci-fi/fantasy books, but mostly fantasy. I also enjoyed comics (Dilbert, not DC). I liked being outside a lot too, and was allowed to be pretty independent at a young age, riding my bike around the neighborhood and going to parks frequently.

In terms of personality, I was a lot more sensitive than I am now. If someone started crying, I would frequently start crying too. I must have lost a lot of mirror neurons when I went through puberty. Maybe they got converted into awesomeness neurons.

Type
    INTP
    I do not remember much from my early childhood. However, from what I have been told, I was very advanced and mature for my age. I started using a computer when I was 3, and played a lot of Legends of the Red Dragon on my father's BBS. I had (and still have) a much larger than average vocabulary, though I tend to not use it unless I am writing something technical, or something aimed for a specific audience. I started doing algebra when I was 5 or 6, before I could even read very well. Once I started really reading, around the time I was 6, I quickly absorbed everything that was around me. I was reading on a college level by the time I was 7.

Then, my father passed away in a car wreck...and I really do not remember much from that time. It seems that I had a really hard time with that. I became absorbed in computer games and fantasy novels, and didn't really do anything else anymore.

My parents split up when I was less than a year old and my mother moved across the country with me. When I was three she decided that she wasn't capable of caring for me properly so back I went to live with dad and his new wife. This whole situation affected me strongly - I hated being separated from my mother and I cried a lot and misbehaved, perhaps in an effort to be sent back. I was more extraverted than I am now and would play with the other kids on my street and at school but I was a little asshole and many of my memories are of fights. I started fights and I hurt people and broke things for no apparent reason. I remember a school administrator telling my parents that I had a personality disorder and would probably end up in prison. On one of my first days in kindergarten I remember using a toy similar to a jump rope to whip another boy pretty badly. They had him come and show me the welts because I didn't seem to understand that I had done anything wrong, and I don't remember being angry at him or anything, I just decided to whip him for some reason. I had a lot of incidents like that up until the sixth grade, but for the most part I definitely had anger coming out. Things that stand out are the time I pushed a girl down into the mud and took her glasses for no reason, the time I beat the kid who was probably my best friend with a broom handle and he never spoke to me again, the time I tackled a boy and squeezed his throat so hard my nails drew blood for some reason, I can't remember why. I was constantly in trouble.

I was also "gifted" so there was that. I taught myself to read before starting kindergarten so when the other kids were watching videos with alphabet puppets I got to play by myself with blocks or the classroom apple IIe. In the first grade it was decided that I would go over to a fifth grade classroom for lessons in reading and math. That experiment eventually ended because I wouldn't do any of the homework and I suspect also because my comments about the assigned readings were disruptive. It was really weird being a first-grader in a fifth grade class so I didn't mind, but after that I just did worksheets from some book by myself so that kinda blew. Teachers hated me and I didn't really make friends and from a young age I felt alienated and wanted to be a criminal and destroy things.

Being a kid sucked. I tried to run away at six. I had no plan really, but I stuffed my pockets with change from the change jar and got on my bicycle and just started riding. I was picked up on the highway by a state trooper and brought home to my crying stepmother and I lied and said that I just wanted to go back to Kentucky to ride the horses again(we had gone on a vacation there). I think it was the third grade when I started thinking about suicide and sort of attempted it a couple times but that's getting past eight years old so I'll stop.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    i was an eight year old artsy loner, really shy with poor social skills. in everything but art and spelling, i was average as hell. i got a lot of recess time-outs for some reason. i'd just started wearing contact lenses and had a lot of trouble playing in the sandbox. i was also the "runt" of every class and this went on for a quite a while. i had a good sense of humor, though.

my social skills have since improved dramatically but i'm not that different now.
    The most beautiful paintings in existence today are the ones which were not painted by anyone.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    I was always kind of a loner, and I always had kind of a temper. I always liked sciency things, and I remember before I could read, being jealous of kids older than I was who could read... I felt like I was missing out on something. I also didn't feel like a fit in, although I don't think that was a reason why I was a loner. I think I was a loner before all that.

I was a good student with behavioral problems, though I tried my damnedest to be well-behaved. In first grade, I mostly kept to myself, and when I didn't found myself rejected. Also, they decided I was gifted. In second grade, I was a bit of a bully. Third grade, I cut that out, and made some friends that lasted until middle school.

Type
    INTP
    I don't know how anyone remembers enough to answer that question. I sure don't. I can't remember what I was like before 13 years old or so. I must have been pretty run-of-the-mill.