Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What were you like from ages 0 to 8?

Type
    INtP
    I was born with about a 90% hearing loss in one ear and 5% loss in the other, so I just tell everyone I'm deaf in my right ear because it's easier than trying to explain in percentages. (It took me thirty odd years to figure this one out.) So anyway, I had a speech impediment as a result of this. It's barely noticeable now. I had severe separation anxiety by the time I was five, but not before. Once, I was in a Christmas parade (I was a Brownie Scout) and started crying because I missed my parents and being in the parade freaked me out.

As a kid, I was extremely active. I read constantly, painted (badly), rode my bike for hours, wrote stories, played the piano, etc. My piano teacher allowed me to pick out some sheet music on my own, and I talked mom into buying Bon Jovi's "Slippery When Wet." That was joke fodder for years. Really, I was a dabbler. I was always into everything, and I don't mean that in the typical way adults describe kids -- I was literally always doing stuff, and I was hyper. I remember constantly bugging my mom and brother to play Stratego with me -- I loved that game. Anyway, I exhausted my mom, so she enrolled me in a Montessori school when I was three. All I remember from that is how much fun I had at some nature walk. I didn't have separation anxiety when I was at Montessori. I loved it.

I hated being hugged or touched. This one really sticks out in my mind because I'm not at all that way now. I didn't have a lot of empathy for others; I wasn't cruel, I just didn't feel very much for anyone other than my mom. I had near zero interest in people. I hyperfocused on ideas and activities. When we moved to North Carolina, I remember that I didn't miss my best friend Sarah at all even though we had a lot of fun together. I could always entertain myself, I was extremely independent, and I was never bored. Adults adored me because I was mature and well behaved. I always preferred their company.

It's so weird -- when I was a young kid, I was an extremely strong T. Now, I'm not. In fact, I'm a soft-hearted cuddle bunny. I'm also a hell of a lot lazier now.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I was a serious child. So serious that it apparently bothered people older than me. Much of it was because I have expressive eyebrows that gave away my tendency to contemplate things. Apparently, it was furrowed quite frequently because I had concentration lines on my forehead by middle school.

There's a picture of my squatting down on my heels and petting a goat that my mother once told me was her favorite because it was one of the few that showed me looking truly happy and at peace. Apparently, these were not common looks for me.

I remember being surprised by the volatility with which I could move between distressing emotional states and abject curiosity. When I was about five, I had a lizard. It was a type of skink, caught in a field in Virginia. It died an accidental death through no mistake on my part. My mom had accidentally killed it. I was holding back tears as I went to bury him in the backyard, by myself. I dug a tiny hole, and was putting him into a little cardboard jewelry box coffin, when suddenly, I realized I might be able to see his tongue--and I was intensely curious about these legendarily long lizard tongues. All my emotions vanished and all that remained was a burning desire to see how long a lizard's tongue really was now that I wouldn't hurt him by trying to look. I managed to lever open his jaw, and saw his tongue, but couldn't bring myself to pull it out and examine it because I suddenly felt guilty. So I close his mouth, tucked him into his coffin, and buried him. Then I went inside, washed my hands, and went out front to play in the dirt.

I remember being better able to handle the idea of an emotion the reality of it. Shocking, I know. But one particular manifestation of this made it clear to me. My first puppy caught parvo almost immediately on crossing state lines. We'd moved from the east coast to the southwest, and even though she'd been vaccinated for the local strain as soon as possible, it turned out to be too late. She was dying. Intellectually, I understood the need to euthanize her, and I felt at peace with it because I loved her and didn't want her to suffer. I could tell she was sick, and knew being sick was horrible.

My parents sent me off to play with some friends for a few hours and being that at that age I was still guileless (I learned about guile, trickery, and lies from other people), I thought little of it. I came back home, and my parents returned, and I cheerfully asked when we were going to go take care of my puppy. My mother told me they had just come back from doing it, and the bottom fell out of my very existence. I went from internally cheery with a hint of trepidation, to devastated and ran to my room to hide and sob.

Now, some might wonder about the authenticity of these reactions, but up until that moment, I still believed I was going to get another day with her to say goodbye. That's why I was cheerful: up until that moment, she still was. Then suddenly, she wasn't, and I'd never had a chance to say goodbye, let alone see her off.

To put it another way: it's easy to joke about the apocalypse. It's harder to bury your family when it happens.

I read copiously. I treated everyone as my equal, regardless of their age. This was only a problem with people who were, in fact, inferior to me.
    You winsome, you loathsome.
    --Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Pan_Sonic_000
    My mom told me my first word was an emphatic "no". So that probably says a lot. But I'm like a lot of the previous posters: a loner. I'd spend recess by myself, usually. Bad temper, too.

But the thing is, I would talk my ass off when someone wanted to actually converse about a meaningful topic or engage in imaginative activities. This included all types of people and ages, from other kids to old folks. I guess I wasn't shy as much as I was bored unless the topic / activity appealed to me at which time I couldn't shut the fuck up. When those moments came, I formed quick, deep friendships easily.

I liked rough and tumble, but I didn't like it organized with rules and competition. Wrestling for wrestling sake or stupid football games like "smear the queer" (yeah...) were fun because it was just about collision and smashing bodies together for no reason. There was no winner or loser, just contact and dogpiling for fun.

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    Preschool: I don't remember much but I distinctly remember bawling my eyes out when my mum first dropped me off at daycare. They had to pry my tiny lil hands from her dress. My mum says she's really proud of me because I was toilet trained really early. Anal retentive?????????????

Kindergarten/year one: I was social with other children, played with a big group (this would change later). I was good at spelling, mediocre at maths. I remember in kindergarten I loved building blocks and lego and when it came to pack-up time I didn't want to ruin my creations so I hid them behind some shelves. I loved singing, especially jesus hymns (went to a catholic school). I still have a cassette recording of myself singing and being crazy.
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Check out my art. https://www.instagram.com/karililt/

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    I was a serious child. So serious that it apparently bothered people older than me. Much of it was because I have expressive eyebrows that gave away my tendency to contemplate things. Apparently, it was furrowed quite frequently because I had concentration lines on my forehead by middle school.
    Reminds me of:

Karl Pilkington: my mam always said I was old, she said I was an old baby, she said I could frown before I could walk, always had a bit of a worried look on my face, didn't say much always listened, my eyes always moved before I did.....

His name is Karl... I couldn't take a baby seriously if he was named Karl
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Check out my art. https://www.instagram.com/karililt/

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I thought I could make it rain, make the wind blow, and make the sun come out. Okay fine I still do.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INFP
    I was "such a cute baby!" and that's all I know about my babyhood.

In early elementary school I struggled to learn and I didn't really grasp what the term "memorization" meant. It seemed to me that I either knew things automatically/intuitively, or I would never know them. (I learned what nouns and crucifixes are in middle school and I still don't know how to divide.) I was too shy to ask questions when I was confused, but I also had a habit of asking questions that I knew the answers to, just to see how teachers/classmates responded to them.

I was a bit of a bully/angry person. I got into fights with older kids and I think I got beat up more than I beat up-- I got a pretty bad black eye once, and a sprained ankle-- but nonetheless I was often the one to initiate the fights. I was also girly-- I like tutus and princesses-- so this bully streak seems asynchronous. I also hated it when teachers thought I was bad, and I did my best to appear good in their presence. One time, a teacher asked, "you wouldn't even hurt a fly, would you, chobani?" and when I didn't reply she narrowed her eyes and said, "would you?" I shook my head even though I wasn't sure if she "knew" or not. Around age 7 or 8 I consciously decided to stop fighting and be Nice.

I was terrified of aliens.

Overall, though, I was a happy kid. I loved reading and rereading-- I never read a book I liked only once. In 3rd grade I bragged to classmates that I had read Holes, my favorite book, 11 times. ("There is no lake at Camp Green Lake. There was once a very large lake here, the largest lake in Texas. That was over a hundred years ago. Now it's just a dry, flat wasteland...")

Otaku
    Type
    INTP
    Happy and well-adjusted lol.

I remember being able to be content with mediocrity, and socialize without any anxiety -- though I was always an introvert. Maaan those were the days. OTOH, I was a bit mean and ignorant. I also thought I could grow a penis at any moment and turn into a boy (which probably implies more about the culture than about my sexuality).

Type
    INTP
    I liked reading, drawing, and dinosaurs. I didn't like dolls. My parents tried to buy them for me but I wouldn't play with them. I thought they were boring. I liked playing with the neighborhood boys more than the neighborhood girls. The neighborhood girls always wanted to play house or dolls or something. I got a camera when I was 6 that took 110 film. I used it to document my toys. I would set them up and photograph them one by one.

When we colored eggs for Easter I would leave mine in the dye for a lot longer than my siblings so they would be really bright. I also arranged them all by color. I got upset with my parents one Easter because they didn't make breakfast and I wanted to eat my Easter candy. I refused to eat it until I had eaten breakfast.

I didn't like going to bed. I would make up excuses to get out of bed. Especially if my parents had friends over because I wanted to talk to their friends. I liked talking to adults.

My parents made me take gymnastics. I hated it. There's video of me at gymnastics class. I'm standing off by myself staring off into space and twirling my pigtails until the teacher calls my name and says it's my turn to do something. I do some of the stuff. Then she asks me to do something else (the sound is bad so it's impossible to make out what anyone is saying) and I shake my head and say no.

I failed the test to get into kindergarten because I wouldn't talk to the people who administered the test. They were strangers. They would ask me questions and I just stared at them. I had to go to some remedial summer school class before they would let me go to kindergarten so they could make sure I was normal. One day in kindergarten I cried because the teacher pointed out that I had spelled my name wrong.

In first grade my desk was moved to the corner because I talked to my classmates too much and didn't do my classwork. I still wouldn't do it even in the corner. Instead I drew pictures and made up stories in my head. I had to stay in from recess almost every day to do the work.

We moved when I was 7 so then I mostly played by myself. I found it harder to make friends after we moved.

Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    I was a serious child. So serious that it apparently bothered people older than me.
    Ha. Me too. I'm told that even as a baby I always had a serious look on my face, almost like I was thinking all the adults were idiots. I'm still told to this day that I look at people like they're idiots. I think that's just my thinking face.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Leak View Post
    I liked reading, drawing, and dinosaurs. I didn't like dolls. My parents tried to buy them for me but I wouldn't play with them. I thought they were boring. I liked playing with the neighborhood boys more than the neighborhood girls. The neighborhood girls always wanted to play house or dolls or something.
    I was fairly popular with the local girls because I played dolls/house with them--and it wasn't boring. I didn't play nice fathers or older brothers. I played tired, angry alcoholic fathers who just wanted a moments peace, who bitched about the mortgage, dinner, and how much a disgrace his kids were. I played surly older brothers who were forever telling their siblings to go away and leave them to be alone in their room. Sometimes they were openly verbally abusive (sans profanity), and from time to time, they were just flat out crazy. I played with the idea of MPD--so a single sibling was at turns nice, then cruel, then just kinda dumb or insecure.

This wasn't stuff I saw at home really--I mean, I saw rage in the home, and my mom had recurring bouts of severe depression--but I didn't have any siblings, I just took what I heard and saw in other people's homes and turned it up a notch.

I imagine that most of those girls grew up to be soap opera addicts.

There were times when I pretended to be sick or grounded so I could stay home because I didn't have any new material thought up yet...

I occurs to me that I was a really weird little boy.
    You winsome, you loathsome.
    --Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)