Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend md5 some music

full of shit Dr. Fungi the Fifth's Avatar
    Type
    intp

Recommend md5 some music

Hello, I'm md5. I used to post here and there and stuff. My brain died for awhile, but I'm back. And balloon.

Anywho, I'm looking to expand my musical horizons. Please give me some suggestions for people/groups I should listen to, preferable stuff I can acquire easily through legal and/or illegal methods. Also, please include a reason why you'd think I should listen to said artists, even if your reason is completely wacky.

Having been involved with the creation of many types of music in my short lifetime, I surprise myself by what I appreciate in others' music. So don't be shy - shoot that shit over here. I've played and listened to a fuckton of classical/string music, and also listened to a lot of straight-up jazz, so even though those are absent in the list below, rest assured I've heard the stereotypical "essentials".

There's obviously no way I can list ALL of the artists I listen to/have listened to/will listen to, and the beers I've had certainly don't help, but here's some I like that you're more likely to have heard of (in no particular order):

Primus and all things Les Claypool, Of Montreal, Janos Starker, Nas, Andrew Bird, Aphex Twin, Beck, Built to Spill, David Bowie, Pavement, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Apples In Stereo, Mu-Ziq, The Decembrists, The Dismemberment Plan, Dinosaur Jr., Nick Drake, The Cure, Depeche Mode, Pixies, My Bloody Valentine, Justin Beaver, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Wagon Christ, Wesley Wallace, Wilco, Twin Sister, The Sea and Cake, Tool, The Mars Volta, The Flaming Lips, The Beta Band, Battles, And So I Watch You From Afar, LITE, Eels, Elliot Smith, Eminem, Skittles, Joy Division, Mogwai, Modest Mouse, Minutemen, Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, Interpol, Bomb The Music Industry!, Fugazi, Johnny Cash, The Bad Plus, Boards of Canada, Autechre, Dr.Dre, Snoop Dogg, Kneebody, LSD Soundsystem, Sebadoh and other Lou Barlow ventures, Matmos, Mastadon, Mecury Rev, Nirvana (i kno, rite?), The Silver Jews, Phish, Pink Floyd, R.E.M., Rush, The Mitch Hedberg Experience, Squarepusher, Spoon, Television, System of a Frown, The Paper Chase, Pearl Jam and Earl, The Beatles, Sonic Youth, Mum (with the thing over the "u"), Portishead, Cat Power, Slint, Tortoise

I'm probably missing a bunch that I listen to quite a bit, but oh well. Do it.

Type
    INTP
    Marco Benevento
    Dopapod
    Frank Zappa

full of shit Dr. Fungi the Fifth's Avatar
    Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    Marco Benevento
    Dopapod
    Frank Zappa
    Definitely have heard the Benevento/Russo Duo but probably not Benevento himself. Always meant to listen to Zappa, will give that a shot. Will check out Dopapod, too. Thanks.

Type
    INTP

Type
    INxP
    Your list is in a similar sphere to mine.

For a quick list, I would add ... mmm ... Animal Collective, Panda Bear, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Four Tet, Burial, other Warp stuff (ISAN, Plaid, others?), Brian Eno, hmm, Moderat (been listening to recently), PJ Harvey, Broken Social Scene.

Maybe you've listened to a goodly part of those already.

Currently in my earphones:

Type
    INTP

Type
    INTP
    The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust Album - David Bowie

Type
    xxxx
    youtube.com/watch?v=gTrgGrpyOQU

Because cant stop listening to it
    I always had a repulsive need to be something more than human.
    ― David Bowie

www.karililt.com
    http://www.instagram.com/karililt

Type
    xNxx
    pissed jeans

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP
    I'm listening to Spotify Radio for the Dustforce OST at the moment. Maybe you'd like it.

I really need to get back into seeking out that kind of thing (things like Dustforce). I feel like I see less and less sublime ingenuity as I get older.