Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do people continue to take MBTI quizzes when they know the result already?

Banned
    Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner

Why do people continue to take MBTI quizzes when they know the result already?

Why? Is it boredom? Affirmation (because INTPs are wonderful)? A desperate need for validation? Lack of identity?

I do it. Maybe one of these times, something interesting will happen. For instance, some quiz will spit "ESTJ" at me, and I will experience a moment of shock followed by laughter.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I'm prolly not looking for new readings, but a new angle may yield a new insight.

We're lifelong learners as you well know.
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

Banned
    Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by latch View Post
    I'm prolly not looking for new readings, but a new angle may yield a new incite.

We're lifelong learners as you well know.
    But isn't repetition boring?

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Aye it is. Which is why I take those tests less than once a year and by then, its like a fresh pair of eye's on it. I don't think I would take the same test again on purpose.
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

Type
    ENTP
    Wishful thinking
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Banned
    Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Polemarch View Post
    Wishful thinking
    So, affirmation. I guess it bothers me that people hinge so much of their identity on a self-reporting test.

I think it would be awesome to get a really bizarre result, then analyze what the hell was wrong with the quiz designer(s).

Type
    ENTP
    I don't personally take MBTI quizzes anymore, so I can't really comment - but in the beginning, I took a number of them over 1-2 year period, just to get different perspectives from different tests, especially around the ways the questions themselves differed, and how those differences impacted the result. It was more that I was using the test to understand the methodology than anything else.

I used to test out as INTP, but I've decided on my own that I'm borderline E.
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Banned
    Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I don't personally take MBTI quizzes anymore, so I can't really comment - but in the beginning, I took a number of them over 1-2 year period, just to get different perspectives from different tests, especially around the ways the questions themselves differed, and how those differences impacted the result. It was more that I was using the test to understand the methodology than anything else.

This is one of my motivations as well.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner

Now that I know a little bit more about MBTI I would do this to analyze the test itself. I had a client call me Friday night to analyze him because I gave him a bunch of information about himself a few months ago that helped him. It was just observations. So Friday I typed him based on questions I asked him on the spot. Then I verified my guess by reading a couple summery write-ups. Then he had me type his girlfriend.

Anyways, honing the process would make me sound more like I know what I'm talking about. I've been secretly typing everyone I know.

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    I think, just in general, INTP-ish folk have a thing for psychometrics. And as has recently been demonstrated by a 10 question test I posted here, we like to critique the questions' validity in measuring whatever it is.

/2 cents