Thread: DIY and DWO Computer-Aided Drafting via Turtle Graphics

Type
    INTP

DIY and DWO Computer-Aided Drafting via Turtle Graphics

Since we now have Turtle Graphics available (via Logo, at least) we are not limited to so-called `natural' language.
    Given the ability to use the vector graphical side-effects of one-or-more turtles creatively, any number of projects can be initiated, furthered, and/or promoted.

Given that some of us are comfortable-enough participating in Do-With-Others threads and projects such folks can participate in this thread as DWO/DIT players.
    Given that many or most of us are more comfortable NOT working and playing well with others, whatever is posted in this thread might be data mined pursuant to pimping out your very own DIY program ... so you can just intraPersonally lurk if you want and still benefit by what the braver, bolder, or more-interPersonal, more-Social INTPs -- and our hetero-MBTI typed friends -- contribute here.

Drafting -- or `mechanical drawing' as I was introduced to the the practice, to the technology, to the industrial art -- allows us to produce to-scale representations of things extant or things imagined.
    As such that (re)presented qualifies as language and expression as per both linguistics and the U.S. constitutional right to freedom of speech/expression.

Though drafting methods can be used to generate schematics wherein symbols are juxtaposed, the use of orthographic projection allows us to represent and solve problems otherwise requiring dorky symbolic expressions in one-or-more liturgical notations (mis)used by math preachers.
    This said, I'm going to start us off with using turtle graphics to generate top, front, and right side views of a 3D shape/part/object.

I'm hoping my friends mthomps and 99problems will join in on the fun here as they've both expressed an interest in the subject pursuant to furthering their own personal projects -- be they jet ski design or the development and design of a string-stretcher applicable to musical instrument design.

So -- without further ado, BS, or intro babble -- how might Turtle graphics and/or the canvas upon which they are generated/drawn be converted into a microcosm suitable for mechanical drawing, engineering graphics, and/or orthogonal drawing?
    The first thing that comes to my mind is something from Rosanne Bar's stand up act, "How come women have such a hard time judging distances?"
    The answer reveals why natural languages suck in areas where quantity and quality matter: science and technology.
    A: "Because they keep getting lied to what 10 inches is."

Though size may not matter as much as other factors in some cases, when it come to science and tech SCALE often very much matters.
    How can we represent a having-mass object on a 500x500 pixel canvas in a true-to-scale way?
    Whether we'll be representing things in the metric or the asinine British imperial system still used by the US and Burma(?) we still want our top, front, and right side views to fit on the canvas via any scale which allows us to do so.

As we can use drafting methods to solve problems otherwise requiring the metaphysical methods of mathematicians we might be able to use (re)scaling to represent what geometers and trigonometers call `similar triangles' ... and by extension similar rectangles, similar cuboids, similar regular solids, etc.
    For instance, if we have a 2x3x4 shape we should be able to use a scale which allows us to dePICT -- rather than deSCRIBE -- this shape regardless whether the units are kilometers, miles, meters, yards, centimeters, inches, nanometers, red curly public hair diameters, or henways.

How about units_per_pixel?
    Might this work as a suitable scaling factor for some introductory experiments?

But ... I might be getting ahead of both my Self and others.
    So I'll keep my examples to myself while I wait on replies, comments, questions, or such from those interested.

All those at least mildly interested or curious ... please chime in.
    What would you like to see in either or both a DIY CAD system for personal use only, or a DWO CAD system which can be used socially and as a repository of algorithms and data structures which can be extracted then re-used within our own personal DIY CAD systems?
    Last edited by gps; 02-27-2014 at 10:22 PM.

Type
    INTP

CAD for musical mesomorphs

This post is for stuck and mthomps ... the weight lifting jocks who experience strong emotions facilitated via music.

Given Matt's comment indicating enthusiasm for the efficiency of poorly veiled squat rack I'll address this post towards mthomps with squats/stuck playing self-muting voyeur peeking through the key hole of this source code foundry.

The Rectangle!!!
    I brought the polynomial rectangle to the attention of 99Problems -- another music-loving mesomoprh -- in his thread ostensibly on College Algebra http://forums.intpcomplex.com/showthread.php?t=291 (EG but really attention whoring characteristic of music-loving mesomorphic would-be INTPs?)
    Can we schematically, symbolically represent one side of a squat rack by nesting a rectangle within a rectangle ... perhaps by using a scaling factor with a polynomial rectangle ... or alternatively by aspect-ratio scaling a square to parametrize a square?

Here is where I wait for mthomps to reveal that he has run
    Quote Originally Posted by gps View Post
     Demo of polynomial rectangular area (What's a Turtle?)

;;; Demo of a parametric polynomial rectangle as per
    ;;; [url]http://forums.intpcomplex.com/showthread.php?291-College-Algebra/page3[/url]
    ;;;

;v-- create our own word(s) via `to'
    to draw_via_parameters_of_a_polynomial :parameter :constant
    repeat 2[forward :parameter right 90 forward (sum :parameter :constant) right 90]
    end

to draw_square_via_polynomial_parameter :side
    draw_via_parameters_of_a_polynomial :side 0
    end

;^-- create our own word(s) via `to'

;;; =================== use our own words and data structures
    clearscreen
    cleartext
    draw_via_parameters_of_a_polynomial 100 50 ;<-- Draw a 150x100 rectangle
    pu
    fd 150
    pd
    draw_square_via_polynomial_parameter 100 ;<-- Draw a 100x100 rectangle (EG a square)

print ["Q "E "D]
    Your browser doesn't support canvas tags. Please upgrade to a recent version of Firefox or Opera.
    as found in http://forums.intpcomplex.com/showthread.php?p=21864 and at least fakes that he understand the play I -- as the coach on the side lines -- and he -- as the designated quarterback who wants to look good for the cheerleaders and Action News ENFP news-anchor scum bags -- am attempting to craft while dragging his muscle-butt kicking and screaming like a sissy bitch by the ear.
    Last edited by gps; 03-12-2014 at 09:02 PM.