Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dining out experiences

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Dining out experiences

I'm thinking of trying this.

Club Silencio (Address Given when you call or email) Club Silencio another one of Buenos Aire’s “behind closed doors” experiences that have been growing in popularity. Inspired by David Lynch’s movie Mulholland Drive, Club Silencio was created by Israeli Argentinian musician Shoni Shed. Every Friday night at 11pm he puts on a performance in his apartment for 20 people. Everyone is blindfolded on arrival in order to stimulate their other senses. After the performance, the crowd sticks around, drinks are served and a party evolves.
    I'll keep this updated, meanwhile, post away.

Edit: Oh fuck this it's only on Fridays.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTP
    I'm going to encourage you to do this and report back. It seems right up your alley.

A tip from his out of date website:

VERY IMPORTANT: punctuality (23 hs) with tolerance of 10 minutes by the bandaged one of eyes! Thanks! .
    So don't be late, O bandaged one of eyes.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I actually only have to work until about 10pm this Friday so I might give it a shot.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Well shit I didn't ever go there, but I went to a Russian and Ukranian place recently:

I got so excited about the Communist flags I asked if they knew where I could get one. The guy said they were all from Russia. I went on saying I really liked the decorating. (There are tons of Lenin medals and flags and red army hats that don't appear in those pics). He looked at me and just nodded with a weird smile as if I didn't understand it was ironic.

Oh yeah the food wasn't too spectacular and then my friend and I got some free vodka which tasted exactly like a shot of rubbing alcohol.

Type
    INFP
    ^

------

I went to a Japanese restaurant with my whatever. I had octopus (yeah, the vegetarian thing didn't work out). It was good. Salty and squishy. I also ate something whole that was meant to be dissected and I got laughed at. And some sort of yogurt alcohol. That wasn't so good. Chopsticks kill me.
    "Better not to feel too much until the crisis ends—and if it never ends, at least we’ll have suffered a little less, developed a useful dullness...The constant—and very real—fear of being hurt, the fear of death, of intolerable loss, or even of “mere” humiliation, leads each of us, the citizens and prisoners of the conflict, to dampen our own vitality, our emotional and intellectual range, and to cloak ourselves in more and more protective layers until we suffocate." - Toni Morrison

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    ^

------

I went to a Japanese restaurant with my whatever. I had octopus (yeah, the vegetarian thing didn't work out). It was good. Salty and squishy. I also ate something whole that was meant to be dissected and I got laughed at. And some sort of yogurt alcohol. That wasn't so good. Chopsticks kill me.
    I love octopus! My Galician grandparents used to cook it all the time. As I grew up I developed an allergy for many types of seafood and I haven't tried it in about 15 years as a precaution. Sad.

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Well shit I didn't ever go there, but I went to a Russian and Ukranian place recently:
    Our local Communist eatery is East German.

http://walzwerk.com/
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INTP
    I like Octopus a lot too. My Grandfather has had a camping shack/cabin in Baja California, Mexico on the Sea of Cortez for about 45 years. Its very remote there and incredibly peaceful in part because there is no electricity, no internet, no television, no telephones. You go to bed when the sun goes down and get up when the sun rises. For years, the only settlement there was a single cantina with 2 rooms and some gasoline they would sell out of barrels. Nearby was a little grouping of about 10 little fishermen's shacks. As a kid I remember hanging out with a fisherman named Salvador. He could speak practically no english even though he had lived in Wyoming punching cows for about 7 years. My brother and I had very limited spanish but we always had a good time with Salvador. He would take us out fishing, teach us how to play dominoes and sometimes we would go for octopus.

The tides in the northern Sea of Cortez are fairly extreme because of the long narrow shape of the north/south sea. Sometimes the tide would go out for hundreds of feet and on those nights Salvador would take us over near the base of a cliff where boulders from the cliff had fallen into the sea. When the tide was low, there was a garden of boulders sitting exposed on the sandy beach that was the sea floor at high tide. The octopi that had climbed under the boulders when the sea was high were now trapped in little pools of water under the giant rocks. With a flashlight you could see a large eye staring out at you, but to get them out you had to squirt a little bleach in the water to irritate them and make them flee out into our waiting arms. After we had 6 or 7 in a bucket we would take them back to the little cantina and pour some salt on them to kill them, and then you just turn them inside out to clean them and pop out the beak. From what I now know about Octopi it seems a torturous method for catching and killing them, but the fresh soup that they would make at the Cantina was always amazing.

As for communist themed restaurants...

I used to go to a Dong Bei(North East China) themed restaurant in Shanghai. Part of their schtick was that the wait staff all dressed like peasants from the cultural revolution. They would serve hearty fare and sing Dong Fang Hong(the east is red). I got confused because the peasant maiden waitresses all called me Ge(geh) which means older brother and was an apparently more common form of address during the cultural revolution. (this was the second time the word had confused me at a restaurant, the other time being at a chinese restaurant in the US where I was with my brothers who are obviously related to me. The waitress asked if they were my brothers, but because of the one child policy in China I had never heard the plural term).

Anyway...Apparently Cultural and Communist Revolution themed restaurants are a bizarrely popular phenomenon in China now. I have even read about restaurants where they have skits acting out communist struggle sessions complete with singing and the beating of teachers and parents, and the reenactment of a a young patriot killing a landlord. Depending upon people experiences during those periods, the memories can be exciting or terrifying.

I'm not so exotic. I'm a creature of routine. I eat a limited palette of a few things and change restaurants as part of a takeout rotation that evolves slowly as I become sick of something.

Type
    xNxx
    Had greek a couple nights ago with the ladyperson. It was cute, an ancient bouzouki player and keyboardist, people dancing, just another LA miracle restaurant. Someday they'll tell stories about us, incredulously trying to figure out what certain gif-represented menu items could have possibly represented as they eat around the botulism in dented cans of beans. I am so fucking spoiled. I honestly feel genuine pity for everyone who doesn't live in LA, that is until I realize that I have a solid chance of dying of MRSA on Skid Row if I ever lose traction in this modern economy.