Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washington's credibility

Type
    XXXX

Washington's credibility

Let's see...our major health care reform has been bitched with issues since its inception, turns out we're all being spied on by the NSA, Iraq is a complete shitshow, Afghanistan's president (aka the guy we put in power) lambasts our presence every time he gets a microphone, and the senate has been deadlocked by conniving, bumblefucks since Obama's election. Now with Ukraine in the news, we've got these politicians coming out, trying to rally political support with their stick it to the reds rhetoric, and all I can think is that I wouldn't trust them to lead me to a post office in a one road town. Seriously...Do they have any credibility in your eyes? Am I missing something? Explain.

Type
    ENTP
    My last shred of belief in Washington has been shattered by Obama. I mistakenly believed for a moment that he was different.
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Type
    INFP
    Who the fuck would mint a penny?!

obama is all

and clinton was all

Type
    xNxx
    Well, the 90s were kind of a victory lap for the US.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Washington had credibility?

I never notice anything.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Polemarch View Post
    My last shred of belief in Washington has been shattered by Obama. I mistakenly believed for a moment that he was different.
    I didn't, and everyone told me I was being cynical.

Now give me a cookie!

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Makers!* View Post
    Seriously...Do they have any credibility in your eyes? Am I missing something? Explain.
    Credibility - the quality of being trusted and believed in.

The ideal of government has credibility with me. The implementation varies. I tend to cut slack for the realities of politics.

Consider post 9/11 America. We were united. Almost everyone got behind the government and the president. IF you asked the question back then, say right after we started ground operations in Afghanistan I believe most people would have said - why yes, I believe we are on the right track and the government is credible.

Did that prevent the government from invading a country under false pretext, torturing prisoners and giving the NSA a blank check to spy on us? Seems it did precisely the opposite.

On the other hand, everyone tuning out leads to the same results IMO.

Type
    xNxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Washington had credibility?

I never notice anything.
    During the decolonialization era, many rebel movements took the American Revolution as their inspiration. Ho Chi Minh's heroes were George Washington and Thomas Jefferson.

Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Starjots View Post
    Credibility - the quality of being trusted and believed in.

The ideal of government has credibility with me. The implementation varies. I tend to cut slack for the realities of politics.

Consider post 9/11 America. We were united. Almost everyone got behind the government and the president. IF you asked the question back then, say right after we started ground operations in Afghanistan I believe most people would have said - why yes, I believe we are on the right track and the government is credible.

Did that prevent the government from invading a country under false pretext, torturing prisoners and giving the NSA a blank check to spy on us? Seems it did precisely the opposite.

On the other hand, everyone tuning out leads to the same results IMO.
    Starjots,

I was considering something along your line of logic. Maybe a weaker fed isn't necessarily a bad thing, even if it's unintentional. But then I thought, wouldn't that leave a vaccuum? and if so, who or what would fill it? The answer I surmised: money.

As evidence I submit this graph. Compare it to yours, and tell me if I'm off base.

There's noone to check these bastards at the top!