Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you take your coffee?

Type
    xxxx

How do you take your coffee?

I used to think coffee was a sham but ever since I became a barista & had to taste test my own coffee, I became a lil addicted, as I would with positive repeated exposure of any stimulus. I think maybe coffee culture in Australia is different to elsewhere so it'd be interesting to hear your habits

I usually prefer a half-strength long black, with a little bit of soy milk or not depending on my mood. As a rule of thumb, if the coffee is paired with something sweet like biscuits, the coffee itself would not be sweetened. Otherwise I take 1 & 1/2 equals for a large (still think the negatives of sugar overpower the negatives of artificial sweeteners). Outside of a cafe, I love instant coffee with or without that hint of hazelnut, the stuff you buy at coles or woollies. If I had to take a milky coffee I'd prefer an extra frothy cappuccino, but I'm slightly aversive to milk so I avoid that.

Type
    Intp
    hot, black, strong, fresh. Yes, I really really do hate being a cliche.
    All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage. Mycroft Holmes

I am not programmed to harm human beings. Baymax

Type
    xxxx
    i drink coffee very rarely, but when i do it's usually a frappe with mocha, caramel, vanilla, matcha or whatever the hell i'm feeling and whatever they have. i've also been known to drink the whatever coffee people have out in the machine in the office/bank/mechanic's/grocery store (what is that? black? i don't add anything). basically i know shit about coffee. i drink tea.

if i'm really desperate for a large dose of caffeine and tea's not cutting it, i'll drink vietnamese iced coffee, but that's really extreme for me.

caffeine dependence would be the worst, most pointless thing to happen to me right now.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 03-03-2014 at 12:34 AM.

Type
    INTP
    I don't get the coffee thing. It always tastes awful to me: burnt seed juice. Except in Spain. I wish I knew what brand I drank there and where I could buy some short of going back to Spain.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I just added a splash of milk for a while, then more recently was drinking it black. I quit coffee a couple weeks ago though and have been drinking tea in the morning.

Type
    intp
    I use an aeropress at home that produces a faux-espresso shot. It's very clean and efficient. When I order coffee at a stand I'll get either standard drip coffee or an americano. If I'm spending time with a friend at a cafe, I might get a cappuccino. I never add sugar, but sometimes cream. My favorite is to add whiskey and cream.

On rare occasions I will find someone who makes good Turkish coffee, but I'm very particular about the preparation. I try to make it myself, but it isn't quite there.

Type
    INTP
    If the barista can't pull shots and throw them with ice while making it taste incredible I no longer patronize the establishment when they're working. Generally I'm a fan of a medium roast espresso with no more than a 22 second pull out of a double head. If I'm planning on adding any dairy a bit longer is ok but it needs to be watched carefully and it becomes machine dependent. Picking a coffee shop can be as much about getting to know their espresso machine as the people who use it.

On my own time I tend towards french presses of a light-medium roast. The lighter roasts have been a more recent though for me. For years I preferred dark roasts with a few rare exceptions, but was generally adding fat to them. Now I almost exclusively drink coffee straight and enjoy the more varied profile of the light-medium range.

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by kali View Post
    I used to think coffee was a sham but ever since I became a barista & had to taste test my own coffee, I became a lil addicted, as I would with positive repeated exposure of any stimulus. I think maybe coffee culture in Australia is different to elsewhere so it'd be interesting to hear your habits

I usually prefer a half-strength long black, with a little bit of soy milk or not depending on my mood. As a rule of thumb, if the coffee is paired with something sweet like biscuits, the coffee itself would not be sweetened. Otherwise I take 1 & 1/2 equals for a large (still think the negatives of sugar overpower the negatives of artificial sweeteners). Outside of a cafe, I love instant coffee with or without that hint of hazelnut, the stuff you buy at coles or woollies. If I had to take a milky coffee I'd prefer an extra frothy cappuccino, but I'm slightly aversive to milk so I avoid that.

Had a co-worker ask for that in San Francisco. The baristas were all puzzled. "A long black ________?". long black=Americano for those outside Oz.
    Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    I don't get the coffee thing. It always tastes awful to me: burnt seed juice. Except in Spain. I wish I knew what brand I drank there and where I could buy some short of going back to Spain.
    Same experience. I bought some spanish beans and tried to do myself but wasn't the same.

I usually do straight drip in a glass carafe. I like a light roast.

Type
    INTP
    Light to Medium Roast with Splenda and Half-and-Half
    "Remember me as you pass by.
    As you are now, so once was I.
    As I am now, so will you be.
    Prepare for Death & Follow Me."

-- Common Epitaph of Victorian-Era Gravestones

Type
    xNxx
    black, because I'm not in middle school anymore