Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: China Publishes 2013 U.S. Human Rights Record

Type
    IXXP

China Publishes 2013 U.S. Human Rights Record

HERE.

While not all "government sponsored" most definitely "government allowed".

Type
    INTP
    Omg, that's hilarious.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

Type
    intp
    I think the authors could have chosen better sources for some things, but in all it is not inaccurate. Thanks for sharing.

Type
    xNxx
    not hilarious, even if china is a hypocrite

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    don't they release one of these every year? china isn't exactly a human rights leader but at least somebody's keeping track. i think they could be even more detailed.

now if they'd publish a report on their own human rights violations.
    The most beautiful paintings in existence today are the ones which were not painted by anyone.

Type
    IXXP
    Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post
    don't they release one of these every year? china isn't exactly a human rights leader but at least somebody's keeping track. i think they could be even more detailed.

now if they'd publish a report on their own human rights violations.
    Amnesty International airs some of everyone's dirty laundry in this 1.8MB PDF.
    Not particularly detailed however.

Type
    INTP
    They picked some weird examples to highlight their points. This one seems like they didn't try at all!

American Broadcasting Company's Jimmy Kimmel Show aired a segment saying "kill everyone in China" and promoted racial hatred.
    I hadn't seen this before but here it is: "Jimmy Kimmel - Genocidal Maniac"

It's a difficult clip to interpret (I'm trying to imagine what the authors were thinking when they referenced it), and maybe it does say something disturbing about American society, but c'mon guys! Couldn't you find something better from Fox News or Rush Limbaugh or whatever other crazy stuff goes on in American media these days.

Type
    INTP
    I find it strange they cite inter-citizen violence as human rights violations. It sets and interesting tableau. To keep all such things from happening would require an intensely invasive level of government--in short, to eliminate such acts, you have to eliminate human rights.

Similarly, the critique of existing human rights--implying (by mentioning) that having such freedoms constituted a violation of human rights.

That sort of thing is laughable.

I also don't think solitary confinement qualifies as a human rights violation. There are two main cases where, by the argument that any violence between citizens constitutes a human rights violation on the part of it's government, solitary confinement presents a preservation of human rights: by protecting the confined for the populace, or the populace from the confined.

Personally, if I were to be imprisoned, I'd prefer solitary for the duration.
    For some, "how", not "why", is the fundamental unit of measure for curiosity. This divergence is neither parallel, nor straight. Where one might have a "why?-5" problem, it might only be a "how?-2" question. But then, there are also many things where the "why?" is immediately obvious but the "how?" is best measured in centuries of perpetual wonder. Both approaches have their drawbacks.

If one is superior, the other is unaware of it.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    I also don't think solitary confinement qualifies as a human rights violation. There are two main cases where, by the argument that any violence between citizens constitutes a human rights violation on the part of it's government, solitary confinement presents a preservation of human rights: by protecting the confined for the populace, or the populace from the confined.
    I think the rates of solitary confinement in the US are much higher than in other prison systems in the world. I don't have a source for that on hand but I'm sure I've read it before. Solitary confinement should never be anything but a last resort and it is widely abused in the US (and other countries).

So, you could maybe argue that as a practice, it isn't fundamentally a human rights violation, but the way it's used in most prison systems would qualify as such.

Type
    INTP
    Yeah, we have entire prisons where every single person is in solitary confinement, many of them for years or even decades. The documented psychological effects of this are devastating. National geographic did a pretty good documentary on it, I think. Social interaction is a human need.