Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stargate (and other movies that portray INTP-like characters)

Type
    InTp

Stargate (and other movies that portray INTP-like characters)

After seeing Stargate (the movie) for the first time in > 10 years, somehow I've decided its one of my favorite movies.
    The tv series watered down the whole thing for me years ago, but now a few things I must have overlooked back in the original movie (while in my teens) have stood out to me. I love the contrast between the main character and the others in this movie. Also, I loved seeing the contrast between all the over-exaggerated movies around these days and the more believable 90s feel to Stargate.

So can I get some opinions?
    This main character "Daniel" in the movie, would you say he's a little too 'F'-like and 'people-softy' for your average INTP representation?
    Or would you say its a quintessential INTP representation? or closer to another personality type?

He certainly seems aloof, and involved in his own thoughts, yet calmly observing the environment where necessary in certain situations.
    The whole 'alien-language-understanding' thing also seems relevant for an INTP-like linguist character.

Feel free to say the movie sucks, or where you think its shortcomings are, but if you havn't seen it for many years, I'd actually recommend watching it again.

....and feel free to discuss / recommend other movies with good INTP-like characters.
    Ti, Ne, Si, Fe .... Te, Ni, Se, Fi

Type
    ENTP
    I'm not sure I'd call Daniel an INTP. I might go as far as ISFP.

I seem to be one of the only people out there who thinks that Stargate was a good movie, in spite of its shortcomings. The story/concept is strong enough to outweigh the horrible script.
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Type
    xNxx
    Dr. Manhattan is the archetypal INTP. "Fuck off guys, I'm gonna go think about this on Mars".

Type
    INTP
    You know, INTP characters are really rare in TV/movies.

Usually NTs are made into Js for that whole mastermind/clockwork evil plan, or extraverts so they can ramble on and on about what geniuses they are.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    LOL I used to have a whole theory about this that involved Keanu Reeves.

To sum it up, basically just think of every Keanu Reeves movie you can, then pick out the ones where it doesn't come off like a horrible casting decision or a dimwit who can't really act, and a large percentage of those characters are likely to strike you as INTP's.

Neo (first movie only--fuck the sequels) is of course the ur-example. The one I came to appreciate the most was the dentist in Thumbsucker:

LOL SPOILER ALERT!

Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INTP
    I'd like to think Helen Benson in the Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) is an INTP. Klaatu is nice but he's a J. The professor is a stereotype.

objective-means-purpose wise fool's Avatar
    Type
    iNxx
    Rust Cohle (McCononaughey) from True Detective seems INTPish. I highly recommend the show. Here are two of my favourite scenes of his:

Spoiler: asdf

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mexico View Post
    LOL I used to have a whole theory about this that involved Keanu Reeves.

To sum it up, basically just think of every Keanu Reeves movie you can, then pick out the ones where it doesn't come off like a horrible casting decision or a dimwit who can't really act, and a large percentage of those characters are likely to strike you as INTP's.
    Is that to say even a bad actor can play an INTP? Hmm.

But really, you might be on to something there. I thought Keanu Reeves was well cast as Bob Arctor, the drugged-out narc in A Scanner Darkly, though in that case his notorious lack of emotional affect could be the drugs and not INTP.
    "Allow me to introduce myself. My name is reality. Your cries do not move me." -- Sistamatic

Type
    INTP
    I recently watched Night Train to Lisbon. The main character is probably an INTP. His interest in people might hint that he is an F, but that interest is more focused on their history than their feelings. Also, the atmosphere of the movie suggests coldness and rationality.
    I recommend this movie if you want to watch INTP characters in stories other than science fiction. It made me feel very at home.