Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vaccinations and deniers

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Vaccinations and deniers

There's a measles outbreak happening near me right now. It started at a faith-based school where many of the parents have chosen not to vaccinate their children but it has since spread outside of the community where it originated.

Measles is highly infectious but mostly preventable through vaccination. There really is no excuse for it to be spreading in Canada where we have public healthcare and vaccinations are free, and in many cases routinely available through school. But vaccinations only help limit the spread of illnesses such as these if a critical mass of people have been vaccinated.

At what point do people's personal convictions constitute a public health issue? Should religious beliefs and personal convictions be allowed to come before the health of the community?

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Hahaha. I seem to remember arguing this with a couple of members back in the other place five or so years ago if I recall correctly. Apparently as someone who has never had children I was incapable of making a scientific judgement on what the evidence suggests with regards to the risk of taking it against not taking it - and they had the right to protect their children against dangerous vaccinations proffered by the medical profession's and government's propaganda departments as genuinely non-autism causing safe.

Alas it would seem an all too small a percentage - I mean, from a Darwinian perspective - of these fuckwits will end up killing their children.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Isn't this kind of the idea:

At a time when certain diseases were already disappearing as result of increased health standards throughout society, vaccines were being added in spite of the decline and were not necessarily responsible for reduction in those viruses. Though it could be argued that a measles outbreak could have been prevented, there are some indications that in spite of getting vaccinated, a disease outbreak can and will still occur.

Of course it's assuming the strain is not new to the population, and presuming that viable hosts (souls) can harvest new denizens; likely would otherwise disappear from the radar.

Type
    INTP
    As long as things like this happens, there is no way I would allow any government to have the power to decide what goes into my body for the cause of some lofty collective goal that may or may not be true.

In this case the target was to inocculate the entire Swedish population. As luck would have it, they didn't succeed. Still millions of people got the vaccine. The swine flu eventually turned out to not be all that virulent and also very mild. Hundreds of young Swedes will live the rest of their lives with the truly debilitating disease of narcolepsy.
    I was Isagel in another place....

Type
    INTP
    What's even more frustrating about it is that faith-based schools are granted special tax status because of their oh-so-venerable religiosity, so the government is effectively subsidizing the cause in addition to having to clean up the mess.

Side note: are INTPs possibly MORE likely than average to fall for conspiracy theories?

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Pan View Post
    What's even more frustrating about it is that faith-based schools are granted special tax status because of their oh-so-venerable religiosity, so the government is effectively subsidizing the cause in addition to having to clean up the mess.
    I could see New Age types falling for this, too, though, not just Christians worried about the NWO or the Marxist Antichrist Pope. Myself, I'm pretty worried about animals with tiny horns, like in the Book of Daniel.

Side note: are INTPs possibly MORE likely than average to fall for conspiracy theories?
    Only the ones who are Reploids.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Catoptric View Post
    Isn't this kind of the idea:

At a time when certain diseases were already disappearing as result of increased health standards throughout society, vaccines were being added in spite of the decline and were not necessarily responsible for reduction in those viruses. Though it could be argued that a measles outbreak could have been prevented, there are some indications that in spite of getting vaccinated, a disease outbreak can and will still occur.

Of course it's assuming the strain is not new to the population, and presuming that viable hosts (souls) can harvest new denizens; likely would otherwise disappear from the radar.
    I saw that advert on Facebook last night. Since over 54 million doses of Gardisal have been given, I was wondering if the people believing and promoting it had a serious deficit in their maths ability.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    I saw that advert on Facebook last night. Since over 54 million doses of Gardisal have been given, I was wondering if the people believing and promoting it had a serious deficit in their maths ability.
    Yeah, I normally double check most anything posted on Facebook.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Reploids.