Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Half-baked ideas

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Half-baked ideas

This thread is a repository for random half-baked ideas that probably won't fly.

Feel free to contribute your own. No idea is too terrible.
    Last edited by gator; 03-16-2014 at 03:29 AM.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    We should crowdsource some genuinely shitty genre erotica, sell the self-published ebooks on Amazon and then split the profits.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    We should crowdsource some genuinely shitty genre erotica, sell the self-published ebooks on Amazon and then split the profits.
    At first I was

Then I saw the price and I was

Then I saw that there were more like that.

Many many more.

And at that point I balked.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    National Tiddlywinks League. The championship could generate more ad revenue than the Superbowl!

Type
    INTP
    A small app that transmits GPS, cell reception, and carrier data to a central data hub. It doesn't transmit any user data or anything identifying the specific source of the information. The data is aggregated and used to create an overlay for something like Google Maps to provide a heat map of actual user reception.

Alternatively, a topographical height map, which could then be cross-reference with an actual topographical map so that you can legitimately flip off the buildings or geological formations that are keeping you from getting decent reception.

Maps will be broken down by service provider so you can explain to people that you aren't interested in AT&T because they don't cover your house, just the areas around your house, and that doesn't really do it for you.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    They do televised poker. Why not televised Candyland? Millions will tune in to see who landed in the Licorice Lake, or got waylaid by that bitch Queen Frostine (Lord Licorice got a bad rap), or maybe that fudge monster.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    A small app that transmits GPS, cell reception, and carrier data to a central data hub. It doesn't transmit any user data or anything identifying the specific source of the information. The data is aggregated and used to create an overlay for something like Google Maps to provide a heat map of actual user reception.

Alternatively, a topographical height map, which could then be cross-reference with an actual topographical map so that you can legitimately flip off the buildings or geological formations that are keeping you from getting decent reception.

Maps will be broken down by service provider so you can explain to people that you aren't interested in AT&T because they don't cover your house, just the areas around your house, and that doesn't really do it for you.
    It costs a lot of battery to run the gps radio.
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post

I think it would be cool to know how far above sea level I am at any given time. Maybe this app already exists, but I'm curious about elevation and how big that "big hill" actually is.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by latch View Post
    It costs a lot of battery to run the gps radio.
    Don't I know it! My biggest battery killer was an app for tracking my bike rides. Holy shitsnacks!

That's why it wouldn't be constant though. I would just have it check in a dozen times a day or so--pseudorandomly. Short bursts. One user alone wouldn't do it, but that's why the data would be crowd-sourced. If the user base were large enough, it wouldn't take long to accrue enough data to put together a decent map. Over time, it would become more accurate.

Might be worth including information about the phone itself--I mean, the phones know what they are, and since the antennae vary from model to model, that too would be useful information to know.

Type
    INTP
    How does my SPOT track my dumb ass so well if it's so battery intensive then?